Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Donald Bell is the biggest Apple fanboy in the world

by Charbax / October 28, 2009 1:28 PM PDT

As of now the A5IT is so much better than the current iPod Touch. It makes absolutely no sense to rate Archos 3/5 good versus iPod Touch 4.5 Outstanding.

Donald Bell is the biggest Apple fanboy in mass media.

Sure, we would like Archos to release Android 2.0 firmware update with support for 12 thousand Android apps, we would like 10mbit/s MKV, we would like full 3D GPS.

But even without those, even with only 1000 Android apps that one can find on Google or AppsLib and install manually, even with 3500kbit/s MKV (or better, I haven't tested the latest firmware), even with only basic 2D GPS, still missing high resolution and 3D maps and no in-car dock available yet, still with all this, the Archos 5 Internet Tablet is 10000x better value for money than the iPod Touch.

If Donald Bell wants to speculate that "more people will still buy the iPod Touch", be it for economic, political or marketing reasons. Donald Bell is NOT supposed to do sales estimates (pure activity of fanboys), he is supposed to SUBJECTIVELY decide what product is coolest in his (supposedly) nerdy and geeky viewpoint.

Donald Bell is supposed to represent the geeks and tech enthusiasts that search blogs and review sites for reviews of tech products to find out WHICH IS COOLEST. He is not supposed to rate Archos at 60% and Apple products with a 90% rating JUST because he thinks more consumers are going to buy Apple.

He is a pure Apple fanboy.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Donald Bell is the biggest Apple fanboy in the world
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Donald Bell is the biggest Apple fanboy in the world
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Whine, whine, whine
by make_or_break / October 28, 2009 3:29 PM PDT

I read the review on the 5 IT, and thought it was pretty much in line with every other OBJECTIVE review I've come across, from persons who review for a living to actual users. If anyone's being a fanboy, I'd say it's you.

Collapse -
Each of his negative points on Archos Android debunked
by Charbax / October 28, 2009 4:05 PM PDT

> The bad: GPS signal reception is poor enough to make the feature useless

GPS is improved in the latest firmware
It's absolutely not a signal reception issue, it is a firmware issue and has been fixed in the firmware 1.2.11 http://update.archos.com/7/archos5/changes_firmware_archos5.html "GPS: quicker time to fix and improved position accuracy" Donald Bell should update his review or just let me have his job.

> many popular Android apps are unsupported

Android 1.6 and 2.0 support higher resolution screens
The apps need to be updated for 800x480 screen for them to work. Archos will upgrade the Android version to 1.6 and 2.0 to support more apps.

Are you going to accuse Archos of not going out and converting all the apps to work on 800x480 resolution while it is the absolute only Android product on the market with a medium density 4.8" WVGA screen?

It's like requiring from a PC company releasing the worlds first awesome 1280x1080 PC monitor, that they should be the ones to go out and convert all the 800x600 optimized websites for the bigger screen.

> Flash video support is hit or miss

Flash 10.1 support coming for Android
How come should it be Archos job to provide Flash support in Android? The Flash 10.1 support is coming in Android 2.0 due within the next few months. This has been announced. All Youtube videos work up to Youtube HD by Archos using the Youtube API to pull the video files without supporting Flash in the browser yet.

Apple has never supported any flash at all yet Donald Bell would NEVER mention that in "the bad" points for his "Outstanding 4.5/5 iPod Touch review:

> quote from iPod Touch review: The bad:
> The video cameras found on the iPhone 3GS and iPod
> Nano remain conspicuously absent. The lack of
> refinements to its audio quality, hardware design,
> and video playback leave us feeling just a little
> uninspired.

> no multitouch support for keyboard or gestures

I'm pretty sure the Keyboard is faster to use on an Archos horizonthally even as it's a resistive screen. Just for the fact that the keyboard on the Archos screen is 2x larger than on the iPod Touch in horizontal mode.

Also, using a full sized foldable Bluetooth keyboard is possible on the Archos and impossible on the iPod Touch, and provides the ONLY way to reasonably be able to type long posts (like this one I am writing right here). Nobody cares to write long emails, long forum posts on any touch screen (resistive nor capacitative) and nobody wants to do it either on a Droid-like keyboard. Only the full sized foldable Bluetooth keyboard and the Archos with a stand put on a table is usable as a pocketable (Archos in one pocket, the foldable Bluetooth keyboard in the other) Laptop replacement.

> text copy and paste is a chore

How about blaming that on Android 1.5 instead of Archos, Android 1.6 and 2.0 coming out and being updated in the Archos may supporteasier to use Copy/Paste.

> the glossy design shows fingerprints.

As if the 4.5/5 Outstanding iPod Touch has never ever shown anyone's fingerprints. It's like saying the Archos has a design that is too beautiful and too shiny and too awesome to be a good point? Talking about design is a subjective thing and not objective. Donald Bell can say what he thinks subjectively about the design, but not put them on the short-list of Objective bad things.

Collapse -
wow, are you getting paid by Archos or what??
by d_adams / November 12, 2009 12:17 AM PST

seriously dude, it's just an mp3 player! I've got an Archos AND an iPod touch, and I happen to agree whole heartedly with Donald Bell's reviews. The Archos, no matter how many features it has, simply lacks the polish and refinement that the iPod has. It's kind of like comparing the drawing of a ten year old with something painted by a master. The Archos is not a bad player, it just lacks the professional quality that the iPod has. Sure, the iPod lacks a GPS unit, MKV video support, the 4.5" screen, and whatever else is in the Archos, but it's also about half the thickness, much easier to put in a pocket, doesn't CRASH every once in a while, has a much more visually pleasing GUI, has a capacitive touch screen, has an accelerometer (and knows exactly when and when not to use it), has a load of games that rival those on the PS3 or Nintendo DS, has the ability to sync to iTunes (not to even mention iTunes it's self, which is an awesome program), has a longer lasting battery, supports Skype calls, and it even adjusts it's own screen brightness.

Overall, I'd personally give the iPod touch 4.75 stars. The Archos, I'd give 3.8 stars. They are both good products, but the iPod just has no equal as of yet. Add to that, if your not satisfied with the feature set on the iPod touch, you can get an iPhone.

BTW, If it's not asking to much, could you maybe just try an iPod touch out before you say it's a piece of crap? I'm pretty certain that, even with your obvious bias, you'd have to agree it's a really nice player.

Collapse -
I do believe...
by 1shado1 / November 17, 2009 6:29 AM PST

Charbax IS a "compensated" Archos fanboy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.