Computer Help

General discussion

Don't know how to become Network Technician

by jhathorn / February 2, 2005 4:12 AM PST

I'm 16
My goal is to be a Network Tech for a business.
The thing is I have no idea on how to get my foot in the door.
Should I major in comp science, comp/info system, go to Devry?
What OS should I be most familiar with?
Should I learn programming, and if so what language should I start with.
How does one deploy a Novell network?
How can I train, is there some sort of guideline?
What steps did todays Network Tech's take

Please someone I need help !!

Jon H.
Irving, TX

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Don't know how to become Network Technician
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Don't know how to become Network Technician
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Start out with A+ certification.
by humbletothecore / February 2, 2005 6:39 AM PST

A+ material will get you up to speed on the basics involved with sstand alone PC info. It touches on networks briefly. Once you understand single PCs you then want to study Net+ certification. Dispite what many people will tell you, most emplyers want to see certifications so they know what you had to learn to get that certification. Certification is an industry established system. To get an inexpensive start, buy PC magazines that have tips and ricks in them and read, read, read. Make it a practice to make and keep files on all that you learn here on the forum and in the mags. Never let memorization be enough. Always persue your learning with the attitude that whatever you are learning, it must be comprehended or you aren't done with it yet.

Collapse -
Some thoughts
by Yew / February 2, 2005 7:48 AM PST

While I generally find any certification programs to be little more than a scam to sell books, a lot of clueless management types look for that sort of thing as if it meant anything about your skill level. So, keep that in mind.

The biggest tip I can probably give you, is in this day and age of outsourcing, you want as broad a skill set as possible. Learn anything and everything that might even be remotely related to networking. Learn as many different operating systems as you can, learn how to make them work together... Learn a few programming languages, both compiled and interpreted. The idea is to have a broad set of highly generic skills which can be applied to any situation. Meaning you can sit down in front of any computer, and be able to adapt to whatever operating system it's running. Be it Windows, a Mac, or some Unix flavor. You should be equally proficient in all of them.

Learn how to design web pages, learn about databases, learn how to make database driven websites. The more you know, the more valuable you are. Which also means don't be afraid to pick up a second degree or a minor.

Collapse -
So, now, you are 21 years of age and, all grown up.
by LucJPatenaude / September 19, 2010 6:31 PM PDT

How was the rest of your High School studies and, graduation, Prom Night? I really do not need to know all of this. Just teasing about that super old topic thread still around, in this Forum.

Have you went out to College or University? Graduating soon or did so already and working somewhere nice?

It is just funny that nobody really did reply to this topic thread for a whole half of a decade/5 whole years.
Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.