Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Don't allow such changes to come to versiontracker.com

by Andrew Jung-100000000000000000000000000037945 / September 4, 2009 3:51 AM PDT

Hello, just a note to say that I was less than impressed with the changes that happened at MacFixIt.com and the forums. If versiontracker is merged into download.com or something of the sort, I will be furious and I will be down one more of my daily web sites that I visit.

So far, as I expected, I am less than impressed on what has happened with the versiontracker network of sites since the purchase. I wish you were purchased by someone that actually cares about these sites and not just wanting to catch the Mac bandwagon.

Sigh? anyhow, MacFixIt is now off my list. As an Information Architect, I am totally put off by how much of a downgrade this move has been. Resources like this should be all about Findability, Usability, Accessibility and most importantly, Consistency.

When you have a site that is as established as MacFixIt, you want to provide pathways and a schema to make a site as familiar to your user base as possible. There was a reason why users preferred MacFixIt over the cnet Mac Forums. MacFixIt had something that the Mac Forums didn't. To suddenly drop the forums and expect your user base to accept what is considered an inferior site in organization, structure and design only serves to compound the other thing that cnet Mac Forums is missing? that being the users and MacFixIt Forum's most powerful resource, the long-time contributors.

What should have happened was a slow migration with the active participation and feedback of your user base to make this into what was great about MacFixIt forums and to bring familiarity to those that used it regularly. Not an NDA and a sudden announcement.

Sad to say, but I hope versiontracker network got a good price for its sites, because this move really has really killed, fragmented and alienated the once united MacFixIt forum community with its resource power. Something that I don't thing will ever be able to be achieved again with this site because of how the transition was handled, a lot of people have been upset by this and from what I see their not migrating to here. Rather many feel lost and without their familiar home and as you are sure aware of now there has been a refugee camp set-up elsewhere on the Net.

Don't let it happen to the Versiontracker.com site. If anything, download.com should be dumped in favour of it.

Sincerely and with regards and luck to your community rebuilding,
Andrew.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Don't allow such changes to come to versiontracker.com
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Don't allow such changes to come to versiontracker.com
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't allow changes
by douglashh / September 5, 2009 5:14 AM PDT

I share your feelings but I suspect that it's only a matter of time before they mess up VersionTracker too which will be a real loss. I rarely, if ever, visit the CNET download site.

And why do I have to add another subject line to reply to a post. . . time consuming and useless.

Collapse -
Don't allow such changes to come to versiontracker.com
by rpleak / January 5, 2010 7:44 PM PST

Dude, I can totally relate; by now, the change has happened and I am SO less-than-impressed. To quote you, 'an inferior site in organization, structure and design' only serves to alienate the original user base WHICH IS WHAT MADE THE SITE SUCCESSFUL.
I haven't needed MacFixit for a while, and I have a hard time even believing what you say is true; alas, the MacFixit I knew and used for YEARS is a bastardized version of what it used to be. There was SO much helpful info in that site, and it seems a great deal has been kicked to the curb.
CNET is soooooooo commercialized; its' appearance to accommodate ads is ugly and not intuitive like versiontracker was. Also, you can't sort freeware/commercial/shareware/beta like you used to be able to,(unless you do individual searches for each purchase category) and if you are on a budget, that totally bites, because you will have pages and pages of results to wade through, interjected with ads between every 5 results. I think what we are going to see now is what has invaded Google (IMHO); if you have the $$, your product will place higher in the searches. Go to Macupdate instead; I have been w/ VersionTracker since it started up, and it got better and better and blech....

BTW, CNET, FWIW, doesn't even have the effing correct specs on MacBook Pro Laptops; how the heck can they offer us advice on what software to install if they don't even have a clue about the machines?
CNET has sent me an email saying they are going to update their specs, but I don't have much hope since it was a robot mail. For those who want REAL specs so you can price & compare machines,(NOT at CNET!): go to Everymac.com, and they will have the low down.
If you are a die-hard MacUser, or even a person new to Mac, CNET is not going to be your 'ultimate authority'.
Burn after reading, because there are not good chances that this reply won't get censored

Collapse -
So where is this refugee camp where old users are going?
by zencities / July 8, 2010 2:07 PM PDT

Sorry to discover Macfixit is in devo mode. I am also frustrated with Apple. Especially the sync function on the iphone. Want to be able to drag and drop files easily in either direction like the two devices are simple folders-and specify whether my desktop mac or iphone overrides the other independently for addresses, calendars, videos, photos etc. Maybe I am missing something, but these seem like obvious conveniences. Just trying to get videos off the darn G3s to edit is a pain in the a**. Imovie is randomly rotating and/or distorting the aspect ratio of my iphone footage. How can Apple (which I want to love) be so incredibly user unfriendly? Would like to find advice on workarounds from freethinking mac gurus, but now those folks here that used to help me out so well have apparently dispersed. Where am I likely to find help and apps (free or share) to deal with these issues.

Collapse -
Just a thought, but
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 8, 2010 10:01 PM PDT

could it be that posting in the iPod/iPhone forum may help?

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.