TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, do I really need it?

by nader0903 / February 5, 2008 3:39 AM PST

I love watching movies and am in the market for a new AV receiver. Sometime, I'm going to get a blu-ray or HD DVD player, or both, and I'm wondering if I really will need a receiver that can play Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.

I live in a small apartment, my living room is like, 12' x 12' and unfortunately the man is keeping me down so there's no plans for buying a house with a home theater room in it anytime in the future. Also, I'm not such an audiophile that I need more than a 5.1 system.

What's all the hoopla with HD audio? Is it really worth the investment or is it something I can get down the road? I can't seem to find much to help me make a decision when I research it on the net.

Thanks for the help!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, do I really need it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, do I really need it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yes and no
by jostenmeat / February 5, 2008 4:24 AM PST

It should be your last concern. Think about the speakers, sub, room acoustics, amp section, all before this.

Since you are new... all you need is audio-enabled HDMI (handles PCM) on a receiver, depending on the players will you choose. You do not necessarily have to have the decoders on board.

The new audio formats should give you better detail and increased dynamic range. However, if you don't have detailed speakers, that cannot handle dynamics, or an amp that can handle dynamics, then its all a waste anyways.

Putting top feul into a Yugo still doesn't make it Formula 1.

Collapse -
we all have our opinion's
by pr1962 / February 5, 2008 9:53 PM PST

i have a room similar in size ,,, i have a Harmon/kardon hkts-14 5.1 speaker system with a avr-146 receiver and a Hd-a2 Hd-dvd ,,, all sound from cable box and dvd player is connect thru optical cable ,,, when i have a DTS source the sound is pretty sweet ,,, i have a townhouse so even at the relative low wattage of this receiver i can rumble the whole room ,,, i also keep my sub turn to only about 1/4 ,,,but there are times when i just have to turn it up and enjoy ,,,, my system is only capable of producing DTS so i can not comment on True Hd or DTS HD ,,,but if they sound better than DTS the sound most be awesome , the dynamics on DTS are plenty for my current set-up ,,, also the price and availability of the movie tracks are a issue ,,, i look into the onkyo 605 when i was shopping but i got my receiver for $172.00 ,,, when i move into a house were i can truly allow the system to play at louder volume's , then i may upgraded but for now i am truly happy with this set-up ,,,, good luck Wc

Collapse -
what's your opinion on the AVR 146?
by nader0903 / February 5, 2008 10:20 PM PST

I have the same receiver and am having major issues getting an image to show when connecting with HDMI. I have my cable box and DVD player connected to the receiver with HDMI, then the receiver out to the tv. All I get is a blue screen?

Do you use HDMI with the AVR 146? If so, did you have any trouble getting the image to show on your tv?

Collapse -
Receiver
by gretzkyv99 / February 5, 2008 11:14 PM PST

The harmon wont pass thru video and audio, only video with HDMI.
I recently bought a new receiver (denon 2308) and the thing that I battled with over and over is do I go up 1 lvl and get DTS-HD and because I'm not buying any Blueray or HD player anytime soon, I dont need it. However if I was going HD format, then I definately would go with the DTs-HD because it sounds pretty sweet.
I got my Denon for $399,( I get a huge discount :)) The Denon 2808 with Dts HD would of cost me about $650, so I will wait for the higher lvl one.

Collapse -
no problems
by pr1962 / February 6, 2008 12:28 AM PST

i have mine connected the same way, cable box to Hdmi 2 , Hd-Dvd to Hdmi 1 , both have optical (toslink) connections to the Avr ,,, and from the avr to my tv all connected with hdmi cables , have you try connecting the components straight into the tv ,,,if they work properly then you can eliminated the cables and the components as your source of trouble , also try contacting Harmon tech support ,,, Good luck ,,,Wc

Collapse -
Hello, fellow DTS fanboi
by jostenmeat / February 6, 2008 2:32 AM PST

my love for DTS tracks is what helped me wait for over a year to get BluRay. I was waiting for manufacturers to finally solve the new DTS MA.

For standard def, my fav's are the 6.1 DTS-ES Discrete. There is also the matrix version, but discrete always wins. Also, you can find Superbit DVD's, and all of them come with a DTS track, usually 5.1. I've bought a few used from Amazon, Black Hawk Down is particularly sweet, and I think it just cost 5 bux.

Have fun.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.