Site Feedback forum

Doesn't CNET scan the software uploads for viruses?

by bzeedog / May 10, 2013 1:39 PM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Doesn't CNET scan the software uploads for viruses?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Doesn't CNET scan the software uploads for viruses?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's the name of the virus?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2013 2:24 AM PDT

Since this looks to be a macro, some if not all of the antivirus apps may slam this one.

I see a direct download so I take it you used that?

Collapse -
virus name
by bzeedog / May 13, 2013 7:46 AM PDT

It downloaded sweetpacks, along with a bunch of other garbage. Who knows what else. I had to do a repair install on my windows computer a second time within the past 3 months now.

Yes, I used that download link.

Collapse -
Here's my finding.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2013 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: virus name
Collapse -
by bzeedog / May 14, 2013 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's my finding.

Thanks for the reply.

So what exactly is the difference between the Direct Download link & Downloader mean?

Does the direct download mean CNET scans & remove malicious software from CNET downloader released by the publisher?

How can we trust the Direct Download link is legit? I feel like the credibility is lost.

Collapse -
Ignore my red m for a moment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2013 9:51 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Avoid the Cnet installer for now. The direct download link is best at the moment since to avoid toolbars and now sweetpacks you see the reply on what to do.

It's getting too hard to avoid the extras in the CNET downloader so my advice is to never use it.

Collapse -
Why is the direct download different from CNET downloader?
by bzeedog / May 14, 2013 10:00 AM PDT

Does the direct download mean CNET scans & remove malicious software from CNET downloader released by the publisher?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2013 11:48 AM PDT

What some call malicious is not the same all over. Sweetpacks is annoying but malicious is debatable.

As CNET owns and now has changed the downloader, I can't speak for them.

Collapse -
Maybe your right
by bzeedog / May 14, 2013 1:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Maybe malicious was a bad term, but I do know it messed up my computer. The computer would be slower and have constant flash crashes which prevent me from ever getting work done.

What I am really getting at is I purchased this software and would like to use it. But is the direct download most likely safe?

How do I know? All I have to depend on is if I trust the author.

This software did work well, but developed problems after downloading it from CNET. The 1st time I had to do the repair install, something prevented me from getting important Windows security updates and I think this download from CNET was the culprit. Not positive though.

Collapse -
CNET has become the problem.
by Ed_username / May 13, 2013 9:49 PM PDT

Like all good ideas, they eventually ripen, fall off the tree, and rot. I downloaded a "spectacular" 4.5 star program from, and received getsav-in, a toolbar, and a pc-optimizer, along with my program. Between them all, it changed ny settings quite a bit, and I had to spend a few hours, three different uninstallers, and a final recovery to get rid of them. Didn't ask for them, but got them all courtesy of

I suggest no one ever downloads anything from CNET.

Collapse -
Info about the CNET Installer
by CNETSupport / May 15, 2013 6:39 AM PDT

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience here, and we have shared all of your feedback with the appropriate site managers.

The CNET Installer is an ad-supported stub installer or "download manager" used for many software titles on our site, and does offer additional, optional third party applications during the installation process. All offers included in the Installer are tested to make sure that they conform with our security policies prohibiting malware, and to ensure that they may be declined or opted-out of during the download.

However, you never have to use the Installer if you prefer not to. To avoid using it, just click the Direct Download Link for Installer Enabled items, or, if you have a CNET account, completely disable the Installer for the site.

Read more about those options here:

For more detailed information on the CNET Installer, please visit the following resource:

All products listed on CNET are also downloaded, installed, and scanned for viruses and malware before being published in our library. Some software publishers may include third party offers in their own installers, but as with those in the CNET Installer, all such offers must provide a way to decline or opt-out of them.

When you click the "Direct Download Link" for a CNET Installer Enabled program, you are simply getting the publisher's installer instead of our own.

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact our support team directly by filling out the form on the following page:

CNET Customer Help

Collapse -
CNet,stop adding your junk programs into everyones downloads
by Pretty_Flower_Girl / June 15, 2013 10:46 AM PDT

CNet should be ashamed of its terrible policies. There's a reason why no one wants tons of spam, toolbars, ads, and bloatware. Developers work very hard on their products... and then CNet secretly loads in its pointless toolbars just to make a quick/easy profit off of them.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.