Windows 7 forum

General discussion

does windows 7 detect pirated software?

by blake2404 / June 6, 2010 7:18 AM PDT

Just curious if the new windows 7 detects pirated/torrented software (sony vegas, nero, adobe, etc)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: does windows 7 detect pirated software?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: does windows 7 detect pirated software?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why do you ask?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 6, 2010 7:20 AM PDT

It's a non-issue for me since I do not use pirated software.

Collapse -
Just don't do it...
by CassandraF_WinTeam / June 7, 2010 3:13 AM PDT

...Not only because it is illegal (which should be reason enough), but also because it increases your risk of virsuses and system failure.

Stick with legit software Happy

Collapse -
Just ...
by bruceclarke96 / November 20, 2010 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: Just don't do it...

I'm glad to be away from this Horse hockey I'll run Linux thank you very much . BTW Microsoft was STARTED using STOLEN technology !!!Talk about piracy!

Collapse -
To be fair
by Jimmy Greystone / November 20, 2010 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: Just ...

To be fair, there's no real evidence to support that claim. I'm aware of the theory that Bill Gates swiped a BASIC compiler when he was interning at DEC, but I have yet to see anyone who can offer up any proof of it. After all, the legend is that they took said BASIC compiler, and weren't even sure if it would run as they were on the plane to the meeting to sell it.

And of course they bought QDOS, which AFAIK, was a legit reverse engineering of CP/M. Telling IBM that they had an OS when they didn't is fraudulent, but it's not selling stolen software.

I just hate how people get this idea that Microsoft was this rags to riches story. Bill Gates' father is quite wealthy, and so it's not like if Microsoft had failed early on that Gates and Company would be panhandling on the street corner. Where exactly do people think they came up with the $50K (in 1980s dollars no less, so probably like a quarter million today) they used to buy QDOS?

In any case, please just tell me you're not going to turn into one of those annoying self-righteous Linux users, who can't turn down a SINGLE opportunity to espouse the greatness of Linux. Doing things like trolling Windows support forums, finding people having problems, and posting a rather useless message along the lines of, "I never have this problem with Linux!" I've nothing against Linux, used it off and on since around 1995. It's a nice system in a lot of respects, and in plenty of others it seems perpetually rough around the edges to put it mildly. I've lost count of how many times people have proclaimed some year the year of Linux on the desktop. Maybe if Apple hadn't come up with Mac OS X, which combines almost all the good aspects of Linux (via the FreeBSD base) with the detail oriented Apple UI, that may have actually happened 5-6 years ago.

In any case, be happy with Linux if that's what works for you. Just remember that it's not for everyone, and unless you have something more to contribute than "I like Linux", you probably shouldn't be in a Windows support forum. There is a nice Linux forum here however.

Collapse -
by orlbuckeye / March 18, 2011 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: To be fair

was smart when they wrote basic for the Altair in that they owned the rights and could license basic to others companies such as Apple. That's why Altair is no longed around and MS is one of the most profitable companies in american business history.

Collapse -
Microsoft won't know
by orlbuckeye / March 18, 2011 5:23 AM PDT

if another companies piece of software is pirated. Some compnaies have tighter control then others on the subject.

Collapse -
Pirated Software
by janesman2005 / June 13, 2011 8:59 AM PDT

Since no one really answered your question, no, windows 7 does not detect pirated software, hell they can't even detect when their own OS is pirated.

Collapse -
Who did what
by TWB404 / June 13, 2011 11:12 AM PDT

Lets see, Apple borrowed GUI from Xerox, Microsoft borrowed GUI from Apple. Apple sued Microsoft for borrowing what they borrowed from Xerox. The rest is just history. LMOMBO

Collapse -
There is no way for Microsoft to know is
by orlbuckeye / June 14, 2011 5:19 AM PDT

software is pirated. Especially when today they have trial versions of software. The only difference between trial software and fully functional software is the key code that is entered when the software is registered. The only way microsoft code detect pirated software is if they had access to the key codes. Microsoft has no interest in someone using a pirated version of Norton that is Norton's problem.

Collapse -
The windows system
by briceone / February 3, 2012 10:49 AM PST

The windows system of MS was STOLEN/ PIRATED FROM Mcintosh. Remember the court case when Apple/Mcintosh attempted to sue but the IDIOT US court decided in their fowl wisdom to award the final decision to MS

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 3, 2012 9:10 PM PST
In reply to: The windows system

nothing proved then? Does your country treat the innocent as innocent until proven guilty? Or do you have some other system?

Collapse -
To be fair
by Jimmy Greystone / February 4, 2012 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: So,

To be fair, the US and England have both kind of gotten away from this notion in the whole terrorism paranoia. At least on this side of the pond, the copyright and patent laws passed being way out of hand some time ago and are rapidly approaching ludicrous status.

These days, especially in the cell phone and tablet world, there's absolutely nothing but an endless series of court cases spanning the entire globe, which are all about how this or that cell phone/tablet violates this or that patent which is so broadly and vaguely worded that you could claim virtually anything violates it.

So the long and short of it is, everyone steals from everyone else, and has done so since time immemorial. Time for everyone to get over it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.