Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Does Vista have any SERIOUS problems?

by bysusan / January 31, 2007 1:37 AM PST

does vista have any big problems, like crashes in widely used programs or anything like that? I am thinking about getting it installed when buying a comp. Everyone that says dont do it doesnt really have a good excuse. Just that it runs the same or a little slower then xp, and that some of the features they dont like. And problems with the actual install or grievances with the upgrades.

I am talking about the OS itself, when it is up and running fine. What problems are people having, are there alot of crashes or sound issues anything like that? I just havent found many actually big problems in my research of this product. Just grievances and people with past experiences with old windows OS's. Neither of which matter to me.
thanks guys

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does Vista have any SERIOUS problems?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does Vista have any SERIOUS problems?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I just did that...
by glenn30 / January 31, 2007 2:35 AM PST

Purchased a system yesterday with Vista preloaded. Still in the box so I have no experience but just seems the logical thing to do if buying a new computer. Wink

Glenn

Collapse -
I agree
by bysusan / January 31, 2007 2:43 AM PST
In reply to: I just did that...

I agree, and I think I am going to do the same. It is just hard when everyone wants to tell me to use xp for another year first. When most of them have no experience with Vista, just past problems with Microsoft OS's. I am still waiting to hear the big problems Vista has, because so far I hear minor grievances and paranoid consumers. Now dont take that the wrong way I mean, it very well may be the smarter thing to do in waiting a while. I am not sure it is when buying a new computer though, and past experiences with different OS's dont help my decision with this one.

I think I am with you, I am going to get Vista installed. Unless someone can give me a real reason not too.

Collapse -
That's exactly what I would do...
by glenn30 / January 31, 2007 2:50 AM PST
In reply to: I agree

All these comments are just opinions of others... may or may not be valid criticisms. You are your own best judge... and I agree with the thinking. Any way you take it Vista is here so my view is to start adapting now rather than later. Grin

All the best!

Glenn

Collapse -
Good Idea
by jameskrolak / February 1, 2007 8:59 PM PST
In reply to: I agree

Go ahead and get it with Vista and come back here and tell US why YOU do or don't like it.

Collapse -
Used Vista once
by PumaSpirit / February 1, 2007 10:48 PM PST
In reply to: Good Idea

Yesterday I had a chance to work with Vista on a cient computer. Though, I did not have the opportunity to go deeply into using it, several things already made me not like it at all.

1) When you click on anything for your computer to do, such as opening a program, Vista darkens the screen and pops up a dialog box asking you if you really want to do that! You can not proceed unless you confirm.

Are we all idiots needing to have to second guess every move we make????

When someone finds a way to turn that pesky box off, please let us know.

2) In the control panel they re-labeled some Icons. Try finding Add/Remove Programs for example. It is now re-named and way down the list.

3) "Run" is missing from the start menu. Did they do that so you can't easily remove Icons from programs, they get a cickback from when you buy them, from the Startup menu?

These are only the first flaws I noticed right away. Needless to say, I already hate Vista. Am sure this is only the beginning and other users will add to my list. Since it was a client pc I had no chance to dig deeper.

Collapse -
RE: Used Once....
by bettencourtt / February 1, 2007 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: Used Vista once

No, most people are not idiots. But Joe (and Jane) AverageUser need to be prompted when somthing is about to happen. It alerts them that something is going on that is about to change thier system. I applaud it. If you are not the type to NEED this, then on your own computer, find out how to turn it off. Yes, it CAN be turned off. Do not be so arrogant as to turn it off on your client's computer, though. This is a risk you can decide for yourself. Do some research.

The icon is now named "Programs" and has a sub-item called "Uninstall A Program". Sorry you had so much trouble finding it. But it really isn't such a drastic change as to be problematic.

Look, I started working with computers in the 80's, and am not Tech Support Manager of a software company. I say that to tell you this: I have never been able to remove an icon from a program from simply the "Run" box. Not sure what all you've avoided "buying" from the Start Menu directly, but, really, if this indicates your level of expertise with a Windows computer, then perhaps your client is fortunate that you did not have time to dig any deeper. I hesitate to think what you could have hosed given time to dig around.

Note that none of these things are "flaws", and I hope that someone's opinion of Vista is not discolored by your claim that these are "flaws". They are "changes". Learn the word.

The first one, by the way, will prevent a lot of unauthorized changes to your computer. It is one additional click that adds a large level of security.

Now, before the "fanboy" attacks start, save it. I don't drool over MS products, and I am even advising some customers to avoid buying Vista as yet. In fact, a well-equipped XP Pro pc set up with non-admin logins and a decent anti-virus and firewall can do just as well. To be honest, I'd have them go download Kubuntu for free if the programs we write would work on it. But they don't, and from what I've seen, most Linux interfaces can be just as confusing to Joe and Jane EndUser as Vista.

Collapse -
Correction
by bettencourtt / February 1, 2007 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: RE: Used Once....

Sorry, I meant to say ...am NOW the Tech Support Mgr....

Collapse -
Talk about arrogant...
by PumaSpirit / February 2, 2007 12:13 AM PST

bettencourtt, first I never mentioned I had trouble finding anything. I only listed the things I hate right off the bat. Pardon me for having an educated opinion.

Secondly, even a novice knows when (s)he clicked on something to make a specific task happen, without being asked if they are sure. I deal with novices a lot and most get scared when this happens because they think they just did something wrong. This wastes a lot of my valuable time and theirs, because those clients are scared enough to call me immediately for help wanting to know what they did wrong. I should have a tape saying: "Don't worry about it, that is just MS thinking we are idiots who can't make the right decision and be sure about it"

In the run command, one can enter msconfig and disable programs that start up with windows. These are the icons one sees on the bottom right side of the taskbar, next to the clock and date. If you were a pro, you'd know that.

Some of them are for pre-installed programs such as McAffee, Napster and others, which have a trial period after which pc users are asked to pay for a subscription. You actually believe MS does NOT get a kickback from that???? LOL

Collapse -
I wasn't arrogant.
by bettencourtt / February 2, 2007 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: Talk about arrogant...

First, you specifically said: "Try finding Add/Remove Programs for example." That apparently meant you had trouble finding it, or you thought someone would. Sorry I misinterpreted that.

No, novices don't always know what it is they are doing.

Yes, I am a pro, but I rearely use MSCONFIG. I uninstall the programs instead of trying to disable them, or direclty remove them from Startup. REAL pros know that many of these programs will simply re-enable themselves. If you want to keep a program, many also have a setting that ASKS whether the program should start with Windows. That's a free tip for you. Do your customers a favor and learn a little about stuff like this.

And, by the way, Mr. Pro, that area is called the System Tray. Real Pros know that, too. Real Pros who have spent time with Vista before thier customers got it (ahem) also know that the RUN command or MSCONFIG is no longer needed for this. And, you also stated, for the record: "you can't easily remove Icons from programs". You goofball, you weren't removing an icon from a program, you were taking a very newbie approach to stopping a program from starting up. BIG difference.

The only people making money off pre-installs such as McAfee, Napster, Symantec, and Real Player are the computer manufacturers (HP, Dell, Gateway, etc) that are PAID to put the icons there with their OEM installs. And they are paid just for putting the icon there, whether you click it or not. Microsoft makes nothing from it. Real Pros remember when Microsoft sued to keep control of this, and LOST.

And BTW, I'd much rather this client called me when this dialog is asking him if he really wants this program to put itself in startup, change his home page, search settings, attach itself to the system calls, and start sending spam in the background to his entire address book, than to try to help him clean it up later. But, hey, I can't speak for you and your clients.

Collapse -
I wasn't arrogant...
by agm4 / February 16, 2007 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: I wasn't arrogant.

Sir, both of you need a little education:

The area you call "The system tray" is now called the "Notification Area" by Microsoft, and has been called the "Notification Area" since the release of Windows XP.

If "Pros" call it "the System Tray", they are a little behind-the-times.
Maybe you "Pros" need to actually READ something Microsoft publishes openly on the Web.

Personally, I would define "arrogant" (in the case of you "Pros") as "continuing to use language about a Microsoft product which Microsoft no longer uses itself".

Donald L McDaniel

Collapse -
i like what you say
by smurfgod_420 / February 22, 2007 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: I wasn't arrogant.

hey im new to this whole vista thing i just got a new dell 2 days ago and so far its cool the are you sure pop up dosent bother me me that much it takes what a sec to click it but i would really like it if you would be my comp guy so let me know plz

Collapse -
RE: i like what you say
by H41N / March 5, 2007 2:38 PM PST
In reply to: i like what you say

Lay off the 4/20 a bit more and impress us "comp guys" first with being able to construct a grammatically correct sentence. I'm pretty sure I noticed the word Dell in there but there may be hope even so.

Collapse -
right on...
by SimplyEdie / February 2, 2007 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: Talk about arrogant...

I also have 25+ years of experience; back to the early years of the PC.

These redundant dialog boxes amount to wasted PRODUCTIVE time and belittlement to the end-user. It hardly matters how many boxes are put into place; the result amounts to the same. An ill-equipped person creates situations they're ill-equipped to handle. Next we'll see a se
I train and assist people (ages 50-90) with no experience in tech; they couldn't find the power button without LEARNING. The LAST thing you want to do is to scare them away from items they NEED to get done. Most already have unrealized fears that they are going to screw up. I'd rather deal with an OCCASIONAL screwed up computer than to have umpteen phone calls a day asking me if it's okay to perform their command because a computer asked them about it.
The software on the computer doesn't need to foul the experience- and that's what redundant dialog boxes do.

I will also miss the Run function. I'm sorry, but any self-proclaimed tech person has used it to detect, identify and solve problems on a system level. It hearkens back to days before the mouse, when we actually commanded the computer to do what we wanted.
Now we click a button for the computer to second guess us. Hooray! NOT!!

I'll need to buy a new system within the next year and Vista will be on it... but I'm not upgrading any of my other machines anytime soon. Why? A 25-year track record.

Collapse -
Taking the word right out of my mouth : )
by PumaSpirit / February 2, 2007 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: right on...

Thanks for your reply, SimpleEdie, I could not have said it better myself. Most of my private clients (my business clients are often younger, but not always) are in the same age group and sometimes feel quite helpless, to say the least. Why compound that problem by confusing them even more with tech terms, popup dialog boxes and more? It is my job to make their computer experience an easy one, but most of all, to take their fear away. Vista is not helping in that respect.

I have also learned to explain things to them in very simple terms, so "SYS TRAY" is a nono, though I mention it they will forget the word in a heartbeat anyway. But novices will remember "The right bottom corner of your screen".

And to Mr. PRO, I have this to say:

As for being "arrogant" it was in reference to MS, but if the shoe fits... lol

We are here to offer constructive criticism, help others who may not be as proficient and explain why we dislike some things. What I and you know and to bicker about it makes neither one of us look like a pro. May I, therefore, respectfully decline to answer your replys from now on? I'd really dislike being bundled with "pros" of such caliber.

Collapse -
Hold On There, Little Square Dude...
by bettencourtt / February 2, 2007 4:53 AM PST

Listen, Puma, you got nasty with me from the beginning. You posted a quite nasty missive in here declaring renamed and moved items to be "flaws." I simply begged to differ. I caustioned you not to be arrogant enough (as I have seen many so-called "pros" do) as to change your client's system settings to something you were more comfortable using, with no regard as to thier level of proficiency. Then you started with "If you were a pro...".

You made some comments that sounded like a complete novice, such as removing icons from programs, and made some comments that made it sound as if you had little to no knowledge of the PC industry. If this is the kind of comments you make around your customers, you are doing them, and the readers of this page, a grave disservice.

I was being constructive, and simply cautioned you not to call changes FLAWS. You didn't say you simply disliked them, you called them FLAWS. Read your original post if you don't believe me. That's going to confuse (and scare) a novice more than anything to look at something that got renamed, and to have heard someone who professes himself to be a pro basically call it an error.

Point is this: Those boxes are going to save end-users a lot of mistakes. If nothing else, it will make them think before simply clicking. Measure twice, cut once.

I went through changing a handful of things on my Vista box today, and clicked that dialog only six times in about a half-hour of looking around. Compared to the clicking that it took to get there, it's minor. And as I said, I'm much rather they ask me about this box than the one that basically tells them I have to help them re-install Windows AGAIN. I can explain that box a lot easier than a kernel errors, winsock problems, and BSOD's. If you would rather the latter, that's up to you. And the time spent fighting spyware and re-stalling Windows is a much larger hit on production than a half-dozen extra clicks.

I'm not here to bicker with you. But if you again call a CHANGE a FLAW, I will call you out on whether you choose to debate that with me or not. And when you sound like (as you did here today) as if you have no more a grasp on the PC than the end-users who come to us for information, you will be corrected on that as well. Ignore me if you wish. And you need not concern yourself about being bundled with REAL Pro's like me. We won't have the likes of you.

And sadly, as for Edie's comment of: "I will also miss the Run function...", well, it just shows how novice the BOTH of you are. It's still there, just not right out front for YOUR convenience. If you would just take some time to learn the OS, you would find it. (And it's much nicer alternatives.)

Just learn the thing before commenting on it. Or, are you too big a Pro to bother with that?

Collapse -
bettencourtt, you have made my day!
by mfumbly / February 2, 2007 10:49 AM PST

Tech support manager...? It shows. Thanks for enlightening us all.

Collapse -
i agree
by adam30457 / February 23, 2007 11:40 AM PST

i personally love vista, it suites me just fine, i think you people expect it to be perfect, whitch it is not. i strongly agree with you bettencourtt. you tell em'

Collapse -
I BEG TO DIFFER
by SharonJL922 / February 23, 2007 11:07 PM PST

I am also a person that repairs other people's computers and have for 10 years, I am also advising my clients to wait to change to Vista, I did purchase a new laptop with Vista Preinstalled, for the purpose of have the ability to advise correctly. I am not impressed with Vista and I see no real big improvements not enough to run out and pay to do all the upgrades. I always advise all of my clients to upgrade to Windows XP Pro which in my opinion is the best that Microsoft has came out with. That is including Vista. So there you have it I have no big problems with Vista but I do not feel that there is significate improvement to have to pay to upgrade to it.

Collapse -
RE:Taking the word right out of my mouth : )
by villanim / February 2, 2007 9:56 AM PST

I don't understand how your clients are being prompted to allow anything just by launching an application. I have been running Vista since the Beta and have never been prompted for anything, with the exception of when I install a new application. Just starting up Word should not prompt anything, unless your client is not running the proper version of Vista. I am currently running Vista Business edition and my account is setup as a standard user. If your business clients are running a lower version, then you have done them an extreme disservice. Business customers should be on Vista Business (or Enterprise if you have GM as client) for obvious reasons. Non business users should be running Vista Premium (both Basic and Ultimate are a total waste of money).

Collapse -
other problems with vista
by dieschem / February 4, 2007 5:35 AM PST

Im new to the forum so please excuse me if im not the most computer savvy. I was reading where someone asked for specific problems with vista. Heres one. I have had a napster paying account for years and have never had problems with it. I got a new laptop on 01 feb that has vista as the os. Napster allows copying of your music library to new PC's, and the windows media player provided with vista (player 11 I think) shows that ive re-downloaded about 75 tracks to my computer, but wont let me play them. It gives a generic error code and a link to ms help, but only says that there might be a problem with my sound hardware or corrupted data. The computer is brand new so I know its not the data, and windows and napster both confirm that all of my hardware and software is ideal. In talking to napster and gateway, the first guess was that there was a problem with having the licenses for the music in my computer (DRM), but the properties tab of every file that ive downloaded shows correct licensing. "Unlimited plays, unlimited burns, etc..." My c drive has current licensing files and my media player is set to search for updates to licenses every time that im online. That being said, it still gives the same "..experienced a problem.." error message when I try to play any downloaded music. I tried getting to napster from media player (as vista reccommends) and it loads up, but it gets stuck on the login page. It shows the login box, but the cursor just has the "working" icon. I can go to napster.com and log in but if I try to download music, it redirects me to my media player and gives me the same frozen login box... Im lost as to what I should do. The 12 year old that answered te phone at napster support was nice but they have no information on how to fix problems with vista. Any ideas?

Collapse -
RE: WMP11 napster problem on Vista
by reefgroup / February 10, 2007 2:03 AM PST

'm enjoying Jet Audio basic free edition on Vista Ultimate RC1.

What flavor of Vista are you using?
What is your make and model of laptop?

What you could do is;
1) Update all drivers from manufacturers web sites; keep a bookmark folder of sites and file (Belarc Advisor) of your componets. Driver and Windows OS updating for Vista will be frequent this first year. When you get a good driver working, question the value added of doing an update.

2) Un-install WMP11, then download / install newest WMP11 from Windows download.

3) Get up to speed on Vista Tips and Tricks, then show all your friends.

In my opinon "WMP11 on Vista not ready for prime time."

Collapse -
RE: other problems with vista
by H41N / March 5, 2007 2:55 PM PST

Wow, a genuine post (no sarcasm intended). You came in identifying yourself as new and not the most savvy (totally acceptable) instead of coming off like an authority on a product which has only been available in a retail version for three months. I for one applaud your sincerity.

Your issue *does* indeed sound like a sincere compatibility issue the heart of which may very well be OS-based (they're bound to turn up). Unfortunately being unfamiliar with Napster since its transition into the world of legality Happy I wouldn't be the most help. It *is* WMP11 you're referring to though, you're correct there. I notice the Napster logo in the upper-right corner on my version of 11. It's a shame the company can't support it's own issues but good luck!

Collapse -
Vista
by rosenut / February 15, 2007 12:12 AM PST

I have been using a new HP laptop preloaded with Vista for over a week, after my other HP started having too many blue screens from some Oct. 31 horrors. I wish XP had been left alone. I invested a lot of money in software I can't use now. I love some of the improvements that Vista has, and in the new Office 2007 - I love OneNotes 2007. If Vista had come out with its improvements, and everything else could be compatible with it without a blink of the eye, then it would be wonderful in my book. The problem is that is far from the truth. Don't let a salesman in the store tell you that all the printers are compatible - false. Look for Vista certified on it. Cameras, may have a problem. Having problem with speakers which I posted in another thread. I would say wait, or maybe buy a Mac if you are in my position - where I needed to get another computer. Also, not all the software producers right now know or are truthful about whether their software is compatible with Vista. I have had to get refunds or eat what I have bought.

Collapse -
Rosenut... you are right on!
by glenn30 / February 15, 2007 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: Vista

It breaks a lot of things even on a new system. I have experienced much of the same as you... printer problems and software. Many software makers are not prepared for Vista and/or 42-bit processors. I suppose in time it will all come together but right now its a pain in the butt! Wink

I am hanging in since I have it on a new system... I'll use it and be one of Microsoft's guinea pigs... not much other choice Sad

Glenn

Collapse -
(NT) 42-bit??? Haven't seen that yet.
by whizkid454 / February 26, 2007 7:05 AM PST
Collapse -
Sorry about the typo... 64-bit is correct :(
by glenn30 / February 26, 2007 8:44 AM PST

Thanks whizkid! Just earned your name. Grin

Glenn

Collapse -
Run and MSCONFIG
by auggief / February 3, 2007 1:32 AM PST

I just got a new Dell with Vista Basic.How do I find what is running at startup without Run and msconfig Thanks.

Collapse -
Go To
by mopscare42 / February 3, 2007 2:11 AM PST
In reply to: Run and MSCONFIG

Control panel
Click on Performance Information and tools
Upper left it will say Manage startup programs.
That gives several options to what you may want to do.

Wayne

Collapse -
Many thanks
by auggief / February 3, 2007 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: Go To

Wayne

Collapse -
You are welcome.
by mopscare42 / February 3, 2007 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: Many thanks

Vista is great program but it is going to take some time to get used to after running XP for 5 years.
Wayne

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.