Computer Help forum

General discussion

Does Ram(Memory) ever get old and wear out (slow computer)

by jayreagan1026 / April 7, 2009 7:30 AM PDT

Hi everybody, I have been having troube lately with slow response time and sometimes freezes. I have 1gig ram on a Dell 4550. I have tried killing processes running via the task manager to free memory. I'm just getting slow response. Does memory ever get old and wear out, if so I will get 2 new 512K memory sticks from Tiger direct.
Thanks Jay R.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does Ram(Memory) ever get old and wear out (slow computer)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does Ram(Memory) ever get old and wear out (slow computer)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by ramarc / April 7, 2009 8:26 AM PDT

slow performance is usually the result of accumulated software crud over the months/years and the increasing demands of software. suggest you google "optimize xp" or consider doing a fresh reinstall of xp with sp3. optimizing can help a lot, but a fresh reinstall should help the most.

Collapse -
Ramarc is right
by FrankQC / April 7, 2009 8:53 AM PDT

As time continues, software requirements also increase. As you install more softwares over the years it takes up more memory and thus slows your computer.

If I were you I would reinstall your operating system and only install the low-requirement programs you need.

If you want to run, say, something that requires a lot of memory (i.e. will end up exceeding your 1gb limit), you might as well buy a $700 desktop and run it in there (considering it's fast enough).

Collapse -
Does Ram(Memory) ever get old and wear out (slow computer)
by jayreagan1026 / April 7, 2009 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Ramarc is right

Thanks for the info guys

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.