Storage forum

General discussion

Does pushing in the CD tray fatigue the hardware?

by Msorensen / January 3, 2007 11:38 PM PST

My brother is convinced that whether it is on a DVD player or a computer, you should never manually push the tray in, because this causes the hardware to break down faster. He insists that I use the button to retract the tray. I never seem to remember to do this, since gently pushing the tray retracts it just fine. I have been doing this for years and none of my hardware has ever had a broken CD or DVD tray. Can you please give me some ammunition in my argument with my brother to let him know that pushing the tray in is harmless? Thanks! I did search around the forums and the web and didn't find anything on this topic.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does pushing in the CD tray fatigue the hardware?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does pushing in the CD tray fatigue the hardware?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your drive your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2007 11:47 PM PST

This falls into a strange place that I can't say I've yet to find any reason to give the nod one way or another. If you've disassembled as many drives as I have, I've never found "wear" on these parts. Just broken parts from accidents.

Sorry but I think this one is a personal choice.

Add to that desktop DVD recorder prices are all of 30 to 50 bucks and we aren't talking big bucks.

Bob

Collapse -
Doing it for years
by peterCIS / January 5, 2007 4:39 AM PST

I have been pushing the tray for years and only semi-broke one, but I think that was my fault. They don't go in if the power is off you see.

What I really want to know is who was the dope that put the button under the open tray? An even bigger question is why doesn't someone move it to the top?

Collapse -
AMEN!
by BonnieGoodwin / January 5, 2007 5:33 PM PST
In reply to: Doing it for years

Preaching to the choir here and I'm not really a church going person!

Excellent points, should be a natural for the DUH! award! Why does the button jam your hand with the tray because they put the button on the bottom? Seriously, folk??!! Anyone have a clue?

Collapse -
mechanical reasons
by SirCyg / January 15, 2007 4:25 PM PST
In reply to: Doing it for years

Hi, I believe the button is always on the bottom for mechanical reasons, since the button directly activates the traction mechanism. space probably limits options to the most simple that is possible. If it were electrically activated then, of course the button could be anywhere.

Collapse -
They're built with a sensor
by ChuckT / January 5, 2007 4:47 AM PST

They're built with a sensor to detect you pushing in the tray, that is why as soon as you apply some pressure to push in the tray, it powers in the tray.

So if the sensor is there, why would you think it is going to cause any harm?

Collapse -
from what I noticed, yes
by ackmondual / January 5, 2007 6:07 AM PST

I've noticed that when I often pushed the tray in for one of my PCs, the ROM drive had read/op errors after a few years. This is just from casual observations and not a full scientific method conducted. It's possible the drive could've done that anyways since it could've been a defect. Also possible that my other drives that i used the button culd'v broken down anyways. I'm thinking pushing with too much force could over time, cause the mechanical problems.

They SHOULD put the eject button in a more accessible place. The top is not a bad idea. Would be neat if they could integrate the button straight up on the front of the tower, like how they copied some USB ports onto the front.

Collapse -
and from what I've noticed, no
by ChuckT / January 5, 2007 8:33 AM PST

I got my first CD drive for one $420 (!!!) way back in about 1988 (it was a 1x speed!!!) and since then I've had dozens of CD, and now DVD drives, and I have never seen a drive fail because I've pushed the tray in.

Keep it in mind, though, I am not forcing in the tray for the full-length, or trying to get the tray in faster than what the motor mechanism is trying to move it. I usually just give a slight nudge to the tray and let the motor take it from there.

Collapse -
I C, but it's easy for many to nudge too hard.....
by ackmondual / January 5, 2007 1:33 PM PST

much less likely to run into problems by pressing the eject button too hard, granted I'm "guilty" of pushing the tray every now and then

Collapse -
East does it!
by Shaun Egan / January 5, 2007 7:04 AM PST

In all my years I have not seen a wear-and-tear issue with drives, though I have seen a lot of abuse. Be nice to the drive and it will be nice to you.

Just keep in mind that forcing any device with gears will surely strip them, given enough force. The CD/DVD drive can, without harm, be gently-but-firmly pushed to start the tray withdrawal. The hardware takes over until the drawer is closed.

I have also learned that a thirteen-pound cat, using the tray as a spring board, can wreak havoc with the mechanism...

Collapse -
The question's origin is old
by kjeeri / January 5, 2007 9:43 AM PST

I'm an old IT pro and I can tell you the following: When the first CD players appeared, they came with instructions that said that you should never push the caddy, it might hurt the electric motor inside. As I recall, the first CD-ROMs came with similar instructions. I actually threw one of those away the other day, a stand-alone (there were no others) 1x CD-ROM for a Mac... I still have my HP Personal Computer (their own architecture) from the beginning of the '80s.

Collapse -
Coincidence?
by sharee100 / January 5, 2007 9:52 AM PST

I have replaced at least 6 cd or dvd drives. Two of them I replaced because the automatic open/close mechanism quit. I had been manually closing those 2 drives. The drives were about 2 or 3 years old when I had to replace them. When I quit pushing in the trays, the drives lasted until I replaced them (upgrades).

Collapse -
Does pushing in the CD tray fatigue the hardware.
by limpinghawk / January 5, 2007 11:48 PM PST

Have looked at the newer computers lately? Some of them that i've seen have a door in front of the Roms. Yes there is a button to open the rom. But to close the tray you have no choice but to push the tray. The door that opened covers the button from the bottom. It's mechanical and they will wear out like anything else so I keep spares as a back up.

Collapse -
I suggest
by Willy / January 6, 2007 2:38 AM PST

I've always suggested that users use the button or s/w cmds. to open/close the tray. Yes, you can manually close the tray, however when kids are involved, things can get hairy. Those trays that have broken usually have cracked gears or gear strips being off track and/or simply broken. Under normal wear&tear, that just doesn't happen unless by manual force. It seems that some CD drives are cheaply made it *may* introduced a greater number of failures, but that's my opinion. Of course you do what's needed, but if it happens on your watch, guess who gets the blame.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Does pushing in the CD tray fatigue the hardware?
by stahu / January 6, 2007 4:21 AM PST

That's a bunch of poppycock! I've been pushing my 3 different (HP) computer CD Roms in since 2000 and haven't broken or wore one out yet. On this latest machine, I even jammed the CD in the tray a couple of times (through carelessness) and pulled it back to retrieve the CD and it STILL works fine! By the way, an HP computer has the button on the side next to the tray.

Collapse -
Yes it does. Avoid pushing. It is bad manners!
by shyamalmitra / January 6, 2007 7:30 AM PST

The poor 5VDC motor drive belt in your CD drive and its logic card get an unneeded and uncalled for jolt when you give an open tray a push or shove to load your CD in. All you need to do is to press the adjacent button in your right hand below the tray. I avoid doing that too and simply use my mouse to right click the load and eject options from the CD drive icon in the My Computer dialog box, to avoid smudges from my fingertips.

Pushing and shoving people around shows negative etiquettes. Whether you choose to use people or electronic goods. Be gentle.

Collapse -
It may not (but easily can!)
by ElectronChaser / January 6, 2007 5:46 PM PST

The tray eject mechanism is operated by a small motor and plastic gears (and occasionally a rubber belt). The motor operates at a significant gear ratio advantage, and there normally is very little stress on these parts. However, when one pushes on the tray, the situation is reversed and the unpowered motor is forced to turn through a gear DISadvantage. If done gently so the motor has an opportunity to accelerate slowly, it can work out okay; but if done more abruptly, the inertia of the motor prevents it from starting instantly and it's relatively easy to crack a gear or shuck off a tooth. Sure, it usually doesn't happen, but it is a higher-stress mechanical situation that I choose to avoid.

Collapse -
(NT) Yes, it does.
by Ryo Hazuki / January 13, 2007 10:42 AM PST
Collapse -
How many pushes does it take to break?
by LouisCiavarella / June 21, 2007 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, it does.

I've probably pushed my computer's cd-rom drive over 1000 times and still do not notice any problems. Any ideas out there how many pushes I have left? Also, does anyone know how many times you can push the small open/close button before the electric motor that opens and closes the cd-rom drive fails? I'd really love to here from an engineer who designs these parts, but for the rest of you please don't hold back your creative opinions.

Collapse -
Designed ...
by Papa Echo / June 27, 2007 1:47 AM PDT

... to be opened with the button, and to be closed with a slight push. If that's not so, neither action would work. OK- you can close with the button also, but that is provided for the benefit of users who want to do it that way. They have to be quick, as otherwise, their fingers may be caught by the closing tray. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.