Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Does PageDefrag work in Vista yet?

by stinman / April 18, 2008 2:57 AM PDT

Has anyone tried it,if so I would like to know how it worked for them.It is a great tool and is needed when you have big page files.
Mark

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does PageDefrag work in Vista yet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does PageDefrag work in Vista yet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's not officially supported...
by John.Wilkinson / April 19, 2008 12:24 AM PDT

PageDefrag has not been updated for Vista compatibility, nor has it been designated as supported under Vista, so it's a 'use at your own risk' scenario.

John

Collapse -
Sysinternals Utilities > Miscellaneous Utilities
by randysig / March 15, 2009 10:46 AM PDT

Installing PageDefrag on Vista.

I have PageDefrag installed on my Windows Vista computer. It was a challenge to figure out what to do to get it to install but here is what worked.
1) Put the 3 PageDefrag install files in your root Directory aka c:\
2) Turn off the Account Control --- yes, I know that is probably not the best suggestion but you have to do it to install.
3) reboot your computer and log into your administrator account.
4) Install PageDefrag
5) Remember to turn your Accout Control back on
6) Reboot your computer and log back into your normal windows account

When you reboot the page defrag will run at the start up.
If you want to make any changes to PageDefrag or to uninstall you have to log back into your administrator account but you do not have to turn off your account control.

Collapse -
Doesn't work
by vestige / May 28, 2009 1:50 PM PDT

Copying the files to your hard drive's root wouldn't make any difference.

PageDefrag doesn't work for me in 64-bit Vista. Error message: "Can't install PageDefrag driver."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.