Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Does not recognize my external USB 2.0 DVD burner

by djoda / November 12, 2005 12:50 AM PST

I just purchased an LG GSA-2166D external DVD burner. It is a USB 2.0 and when I plug it into my Windows XP computer it does not recognize it as the correct drive. Initially the drive showed up correctly and I loaded the software that came with it, but started having problems so I uninstalled the software and must have deleted something I needed. It now just shows up as a DVD-RAM or CD ROM drive and will not see anything on the drive. It gives me errors when I try to access it.

Any help on what I need to download and reinstall to make this work?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does not recognize my external USB 2.0 DVD burner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does not recognize my external USB 2.0 DVD burner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
drivers..
by jackintucson / November 12, 2005 1:00 AM PST

Go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers and software and install them. I've seen time and time again. Let us know.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
No driver on the website
by djoda / November 12, 2005 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: drivers..

I went to the LG site and it shows the burner, but there are not any drivers for it. Maybe it is too new.

Collapse -
Drivers
by Stan Chambers / November 12, 2005 2:03 AM PST

Typically, Windows will supply the drivers for cd drives.
It's most likely the usb controller drivers that are needed.
Go to the website of your computers mfg. to check for updated drivers.

Collapse -
I'd return it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2005 2:06 AM PST

If it failed this quickly and they offer no support, just pack it up and call it dead. Ask for a replacement.

-> This is a warranty issue.

Bob

Collapse -
LG GSA-2661D works great on my machine!
by Vintagemusic / November 18, 2005 1:45 PM PST

I purchase my LG GSA-2661D on Nov 18, from Best Buy. I was a bit hesitant about buying this exclusively USB 2.0 writer, as I've always had better luck with external Firewire drives/burners, etc.

To my amazement, the LG GSA-2661D immediately appeared in the drive list, and was recognized in all of my various Video Editing/authoring programs. I then assembled a nearly 3-hour MPEG2 project in TSUNAMI DVD Author Pro and commenced to burn the huge project.

TMPenc set the burning speed at 4X (pace of burning actually seemed faster) and the finalized 8.5 capacity DVD was taken to the living room for viewing. To my surprise, the Double layer DVD played on my 5-year-old SONY Carousel player. Picture and audio quality are beyond belief! Simply spectacular! Noticeably better than any homebrew DVD's that I've ever burned using 4.7 discs and Sony burner.

I should mention that I used none of the OEM software that comes with the drive package. I already have the commercial versions of PowerDirector 5 and Nero 7. My lengthy test DVD was edited in Canopus, output to MPEG and authored in TMPEnc.

So, I hope you get your LG unit recognized on your computer, as it doesn't get any better than this!

VM

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.