Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Does having a gun in the houst really protect? Exhibit 2

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 26, 2004 10:26 PM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does having a gun in the houst really protect? Exhibit 2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does having a gun in the houst really protect? Exhibit 2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does having a gun in the houst really protect?
by C1ay / September 26, 2004 10:33 PM PDT

Yes! Just having one doesn't prevent you from making a mistake though. This is a tragic accident indeed but it was not he fault of the gun.

Collapse -
Re: But if the gun wasn't present,
by MKay / September 26, 2004 10:36 PM PDT

we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: But if the gun wasn't present - Precisely, MK!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 26, 2004 10:42 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Re: But if the gun wasn't present - Precisely, MK!
by Mark5019 / September 27, 2004 7:19 AM PDT

well all my life ive had guns in the house when my boys were born i got a bed safe for the pistals and a door with locks in bedroom for my others i had the only key for door and safe was a push button combo that my ex and i only new code.
when my boys were old enough george was 7 i tough gun saftey and bough him his own single shot 22.
when jeff was 7 same thing boyh boys were tought saftey.
guns dont go off with out a reason.

and when you give up your guns you give up americas militia

Collapse -
Re: But if the gun wasn't present,
by C1ay / September 26, 2004 10:44 PM PDT

Of course, if bathtub showers were banned then there wouldn't be anymore accidents either of people slipping and breaking their neck. Then again, is that a fault of the tub or the individual?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: Sometimes it is. Carelessness. I know first hand
by MKay / September 26, 2004 10:49 PM PDT
Collapse -
Safety First! We need Mandatory Bathmat Laws. NOW!
by James Denison / September 28, 2004 12:18 AM PDT

Of course I'm being silly, but really, what's the difference between other mandatory safety laws, such as airbag and seatbelts? Safety issues are the new mantra of those who seek to rob us of our freedoms. If one can find a safety issue to tout, out goes your choice and in comes a new mandatory law.

Collapse -
That is true...
by Edward ODaniel / September 27, 2004 2:52 AM PDT

and the conversation would probably be about the man killing his son with a bat or golf club or cordless "assault knife".

If the gun was present but the man wasn't we wouldn't be having the conversation either.

If the man and gun were present but the son wasn't again no conversation.

If the man had bought the gun but never met the son's mother...

The iffing could go on forever and none of it would make an accident or carelessness on the part of a person "unhappen".

The story however has nothing to indicate that in general a firearm in the home does make the occupants safer.

Police reports and statistics have shown many times that an average of one million crimes a year are prevented by a readily available firearm in the home and in most instances it never even has to be fired.

Collapse -
Re: That is true...
by MKay / September 27, 2004 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: That is true...

However Edward. The bat and other objects aren't as immediately deadly as the gun. One swing of the bat and without a doubt the son would have yelled to his Dad.And whatever happened to the warning" Who goes there"? Happy

Collapse -
Too much TV...
by Edward ODaniel / September 27, 2004 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: That is true...

if you think a bat or even rolled up newspaper isn't "immediately deadly".

When is the last time you said "Who goes there?"

Any fault attaches to the person NOT the tool. A careless person is careless no matter what they are doing and legal activties can result in fatal or maiming mishaps as a result.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: Lighten up... it was a joke
by MKay / September 27, 2004 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Too much TV...
Collapse -
And if I didn't have one, MKay...
by J. Vega / September 27, 2004 4:04 AM PDT

And if I didn't have one, MKay, there's a good chance that I would not be here posting. As I have posted before, twice I had problems with people attempting to come into the house. The one at the window left so fast he dropped his knife. The pair that made it in decided to leave in short order.
Curious thing, about a week ago I was sitting in my bed and a uniformed police officer apperared at my open bedroom door checking to see if I was O.K. BTW, I heard him calling for me as he went thru the house, so it wasn't a total shock, even though it was a fair one. I mentioned that because we "talked shop" for a while and before he left he mentioned my being safe here all alone. Needless to say, I showed him my "constant companion". He did not object, and even mentioned that he liked my choice of model and speed loader (Dade). The point is that having one can be a good thing to have.
Note for Forum friends in other countries: He was 100% legal entering my house without prior permission and/or warrant, as he had a legitimate concern about my well being. Also, I gave him permission to enter the house, find me, and see how I was in the future, even if somebody,(including my wife) refused him entry with or without a warrant.

Collapse -
Glad you had it when you needed it J. Your story illustrates
by Kiddpeat / September 27, 2004 4:53 AM PDT

my belief that self defense is a fundamental human right that no one has a right to take away. Unfortunately, in many places, it has been taken away, and there are continuous efforts to further undermine that right.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: Well in any case I'm glad you're still around
by MKay / September 27, 2004 9:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
and I can point to dozens of cases where a gun in the house
by Kiddpeat / September 27, 2004 12:20 AM PDT

saved the lives of the occupants. Many of these are women being stalked by ex husbands or boy friends. The research shows that guns save far more lives than they take for the law abiding citizen.

Collapse -
IMO every household should have a firearm
by John Robie / September 27, 2004 7:52 AM PDT

and those who have access taught on safety and its legal use for your particular state/city.

That incident was an accident soooooo.... just couple days ago in my city a 14 year old boy strangled his mother to death with his bare hands and had been looking on the internet to have someone kill his father. He admitted the last words of his mother was "I love you". The kid is intelligent and even teaches violin lessons, but couldn't stand the nagging of his mother, and rebelled against his parents. He even called the police a couple days before complaining about his parents, but since he was not struck or injured was told his parents had a right to discipline him. So lets do something about the hands of people (bind or cut the off) so they don't accidentally strangle. Any way I'm getting off subject here...so what the heck....

Just yesterday, my wife went to visit a neighbor (divorced and kids grown-gone) and she wouldn't answer the door, heard TV going, car out front and key's in the door. I went over with my Colt .357 Mag., knocked, couldn't get an answer, saw keys in the door, decided not to go in, called police 911. They arrived, we discussed, one went to back of residence, one front and I to the side. Officer also hesitant to enter, took keys out of door. Finally an answer after considerable hollering and banging...she was OK. The lady does have a firearm and is in her 40's.....

Texas authorized licensing of concealed firearms weapons carrying just a few years ago. Since then the car hijackers and personal robbers just don't know who is carrying and the rate has dropped tremendously.

I just hope you and yours Dave have something to defend yourselves if someone does invade your residence.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) theres a town in ga its mandatory to own a gun
by Mark5019 / September 27, 2004 1:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (NT) theres a town in ga its mandatory to own a gun
by David Evans / September 27, 2004 2:10 PM PDT

It's the law in Kennesaw:

===================

http://www.kennesaw.ga.us/CodeOfOrdinances.aspx

Gun Law Ordinances
The City's most famous ordinance adopted in March 1982 reads as follows. Click here for a link to the Police Department for statistical information on crime or contact the City Clerks office for additional information.

Sec. 34-1 Heads of households to maintain firearms.
(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the City, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the City limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.

(b) Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability, which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.

===================

They've got the right idea.

DE

Collapse -
Re: (NT) theres a town in ga its mandatory to own a gun
by Mark5019 / September 27, 2004 9:42 PM PDT

yup yup and if i remember the stats right crime went down i wonder why Grin

Collapse -
Re: Does having a gun in the houst really protect? Exhibit 2
by Angeline Booher / September 27, 2004 8:41 AM PDT

I don't fault those who want them, but I will do without.

With children around, I would have to put the weapon and the ammunition in separate places under lock and key. Thus it would take a while to arm myself should an intruder enter.

I'm not that big and strong, so I figure that the intruder would also be armed, and, if not, could possibly disarm me.

Around here, intruders usually do not enter alone.

I have a neighbor who keeps a loaded pistol in a floor safe. That would take a while to get to, also..

So, no, I would not feel safer.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
by John Robie / September 27, 2004 9:11 AM PDT

Hmmm...I thought you sold your house and now living in your son's big house along the banks of the Cumberland river. Does not your son have a firearm?
I thought every Tennessean had a long rifle since they helped us quite a bit at the Alamo. Happy

Collapse -
by Angeline Booher / September 27, 2004 11:18 PM PDT

Yep. The river side bluff offers good protection.

Nope- my son does not have a firearm. My apartment is not accessible to him from the inside of his house. Neither did my husband. (He kept a ball bat handy.) My Dad was in charge of the city park (in KY), so had police powers entitling him to wear a gun. He refused it. He did make good use of a billy club. Neither my sister or brother (who was Army) had firearms. As a teen I did target shooting with a 22 rifle, and did some skeet shooting. My brother had a pellet gun, which we used for target shooting. We gave our son a BB gun, which I still have. My husband quit hunting when he was a teen (and after the family did not need the game for food).

So, we all don't have long rifles. Happy

And all Tennesseans don't have pick-up trucks, either. Happy

Angeline

Collapse -
Oh My Goodness! You....
by James Denison / September 28, 2004 1:10 AM PDT

...gave up your Pickup truck too?!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I love the challenge of targets.
by Kiddpeat / September 28, 2004 3:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Mark5019 / September 27, 2004 9:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Angeline Booher / September 27, 2004 11:22 PM PDT

Mark, you are so nice to provide that information, and I appreciate it.

But I must be honest- I will never have a firearm. However, I can pass on your info to those who do.

Angeline

Collapse -
Very tragic :( But the answer is yes.
by lylesg / September 27, 2004 11:02 AM PDT

"I figured me and my wife??s life is in danger," the homeowner explained. "If I hadn??t of had it [the gun] he would have been in my house with me, you know. I am too old to be wrestling somebody like that."
[url-http://www.wxyz.com/wxyz/nw_local_news/article/0,2132,WXYZ_15924_2979516,00.html]story

"The dead man, 20-year-old Omar Kendall Powell, apparently had tried to stage a home-invasion robbery shortly after 8:30 p.m. at the home of Thomas Jefferson Jones and his wife, Carrie, who were watching television, Emporia police said.
Powell was armed with a .25-caliber semiautomatic pistol, police said, but Jones struggled with him, and the gun discharged once into Powell's chest. An ambulance transported Powell to Southside Regional Medical Center in Petersburg, where he was pronounced dead.'
story

"A homeowner in Seminole County, Fla., shot and killed a man Tuesday who was allegedly attempting to break into his home, according to Local 6 News"

[urlhttp://www.local6.com/news/2978459/detail.html]story

"A Cascade homeowner shot and killed an escaped inmate from the Cascade County regional jail who was in the house Monday evening."

story

I would say yes to your subject question, Dave. It?s highly possible that at least one of the four victims, or a family member, mentioned above could have been killed if not for the protection of a personal firearm.

I agree that not every individual should own a gun. Some people have no clue about handling a gun. But, many people do know how and they will use it if they have to.

That was a very tragic accident mentioned in your post. Sad

Collapse -
Luby's Cafeteria.....and a true Texan..
by John Robie / September 27, 2004 4:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Two words....

Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp experience with the 1991 tragedy that killed 23 people including her parents, and wounded more than 20 was a big influence in the State passing the Concealed Weapons law. She was later elected in a special election Nov 5, 1996 to the Texas State House of Representatives, where she has been consistantly reelected to this day.

Some of her comments in an interview:

"I'd like people to think about what happened to me, and try to place themselves in that situation," Hupp said yesterday between a string of interviews in which she relived the tragedy as Exhibit A in her argument against restrictive gun laws. "Now, instead of thinking of their parents, have it be their children.

"Even if you choose not to have a gun, as the bad guy who ignored all the laws is getting close to you and as he levels that firearm at one of your children, don't you hope the person next to you has chosen to carry a gun and knows how to use it?"

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by six," she recalls her patient advising her. Another friend gave her a pistol as a gift and taught her how to shoot it..."

Read more here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59368-2000May12.html

Collapse -
She's a true American Hero-ine for her efforts...
by James Denison / September 28, 2004 12:06 AM PDT

...in passing sensible legislation to thwart the foolish liberals.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.