Phones forum

Resolved Question

Does either Tracfone or Virgin Mobile sell phone

by emma162 / April 2, 2013 8:51 AM PDT

I have both a Tracfone and a Virgin Mobile prepaid phones. I had Verizon but it I did not get good reception where I live. I do most of my work at home and needed reliable service. I get that great reception with both Tracfone and Vmobile. However, I sometime must travel into an area where nothing will work except Verizon. I, of course, get very little or no service at all. What can I do? Does either of these carriers sell a phone that will work in a Verizon service area. I've read that G at the end of the model @ means it is a ATT network and that C means Verizon??? What does that mean... Any help will be greatly appreciated.

emma162 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does either Tracfone or Virgin Mobile sell phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does either Tracfone or Virgin Mobile sell phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by emma162

Collapse -
G=GSM; C=CDMA
by Pepe7 / April 3, 2013 12:50 AM PDT

Those are the two different network technologies used by the U.S. carriers (essentially). T-Mobile & ATT are GSM/UMTS/HSPA+/LTE carriers, while Sprint, Verizon are using CDMA/EVDO/LTE. Virgin Mobile is only using CDMA technology AFAIK, and they are on Sprint's network. You might find some helpful info in the following thread:

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011/12/how-to-get-tracfone-net10-or-straight.html

It doesn't sound like you have a choice except going with the carrier that works best where you need it at all times. If that requires two prepaid phones, then that's what you apparently may need to keep doing.

Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: G=GSM; C=CDMA

My thoughts exactly on having 2 phones.

Just last week I encountered a person pretty new to all this and they were fuming that "after all these years they should have fixed this."
Bob

Collapse -
Thank You
by emma162 / April 3, 2013 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: G=GSM; C=CDMA

Thank You Pepe7. This was very helpful. I now understand what I must do. The link you provided gave me the exact answer I need to truly understand what you were saying to me.

As someone else said.....and my thoughts exactly, but I will go a step further. After all these years and all the advances in technology there should not be any dead zones/spots anywhere in these United States. Thank you again for taking the time to answer my question.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.