Phones forum

General discussion

Does anyone know if the Antenna Boosters work?

by carlylegee / November 16, 2003 8:25 AM PST

Does anyone know if the Antenna Boosters work? And if they do work, how do I know if it is real or fake?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does anyone know if the Antenna Boosters work?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does anyone know if the Antenna Boosters work?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Does anyone know if the Antenna Boosters work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2003 8:48 AM PST

Work in what way?

a. Boosting money from your pocket.
b. Boosting the seller's sales.
c. Boosting the maker's coffers.

In short, all of the above.

Bob

Collapse -
Placebo - they may help your perception, but not your signal
by wirelessdr / January 5, 2006 2:16 AM PST

Fact: Sugar pills given as placebos have helped some people with every illness tested. Should we all take sugar pills, just in case? Placing the metal sticker behind the battery would be like putting the sugar pill in your pocket!

Hold your phone still for 3-5 minutes - the signal will fluctuate.

Now move the phone 6 inches, wait 10-20 seconds for your meter to update - the signal will fluctuate.

Now rotate your phone and wait 20 sec - fluctuates.

Fact: wireless signals are constantly changing strength and they vary with location. An increase of 1 bar is typically 4 to 10 times more signal.

Collapse -
cell phone antenna boosters
by qsally / August 10, 2009 6:38 AM PDT

Goodness, what a bunch of miss-information. How do you think you can use your phone in a mall?

Cell phone signals are just radio frequency signals,and have been around since 1865 in England, closer to 1900 in the states. In both cases they started building boosters about 5 minutes later.

All of the dishes and dishes you see on commercial buildings are transmitting and receiving radio frequency signals being pushed by amplifiers (boosters).

And the service providers do sell them - and have them installed for their large user customers in fooice buildings. Additionally Verizon uses Wilson Electronics boosters (repeater systems) in their National Communications Center that they bought from UnwiredSignal.com. I know because I engineered it and talked with them by phone after they installed it.

I have also engineered and sold Wilson systems to the US Homeland Security,US Army, Navy, Marines, Chevron Dow and our company has sold thousands to individuals for their homes, offices, cars and cabins.

Those decals the go inside the phone don't work and can't. It is against FCC regulations to boost the signal at the point of the head. Besides, what did you think you were getting for a dollar?

forums are great. I love them. Then I come across people who are talking when they should be listening.

Collapse -
by JordanBisasky / November 21, 2003 7:07 AM PST

I have a hunch that if they do work, it's an insignificant difference.

Note that if you are not getting signals altogether, I doubt it will provide any help at all. Since that simply means you are not located near a tower.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Does anyone know if the Antenna Boosters work?
by brenline / February 1, 2004 3:53 PM PST

I have tried them is several phones and found no improvement at all .I think they are a usless gimmick

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Does anyone know if the Antenna Boosters work?
by bergyis1 / April 7, 2004 9:33 AM PDT

I'm told they only work with analog phones. Absolutely useless with any digital mode - Dawn in New Hampshire

Collapse -
by Javier / February 2, 2004 4:33 PM PST

Yes i purchased same, time ago, and installedit and it improved the coverage, yes, Javier

Collapse -
by limeyprat / February 27, 2004 2:57 PM PST

Some times it's best to ask yourself, "What colour are the emperors new clothes"?

Collapse -
by jwahlund / March 14, 2004 12:28 PM PST

No!!! They don't work.

Collapse -
by glockgemini / April 5, 2004 12:26 PM PDT

I still have one in my Nokia 390 and I got a marginal improvement in a semi-dead area. Probably about 25% boost. It did allow me to have longer converstations without any disconnects.

Collapse -
by gemcquaid / March 30, 2004 5:59 AM PST

I have 2 different types of Antenna Boosters, the one that tapes to your phone, & another that is like a regular antenna for placing outside your window, with a wire that leads back to the phone. I really don't think either boosts reception any. I am good at wasting money on gagets that have fabulous claims, but when you get them, they don't work any better then nothing at all. So, my answer would be; No they don't work.
Eugene L. McQuaid
mcquaid@northlink.com

Collapse -
by Skip376 / April 4, 2004 1:16 PM PDT

I haven't found any antenna boosters which really work on the regular market. I suggest contact your service provider and see about upgrading your phone or get a new service provider.

Collapse -
by Firefly21645 / April 4, 2004 1:21 PM PDT

Yes, they do. I live in the Texas Hill Country. Getting cell phone reception when you're between hills can be a real problem here. Since I put an antenna in my cell phone, it doesn't cut out any more when I'm trying to talk on my phone while going through the hills. As for whether it's a legitimate antenna or not, I'd suggest buying it at a reputable store, rather than at a flea market or through an ad.

Collapse -
Putting a ant on is not a booster.
by Marv99 / June 1, 2005 4:07 PM PDT

Putting a higher ant on anything can help. This is not a booster. It's an ant. Since cell freaks are basically line of sight hight is better. Less blocks higher. Also some antennas have hight gain than others. But that's a factor of the ant.
So yeah that should help.
BTW hi neighbor. <G>
Close to Buda

Collapse -
by drbigric / April 4, 2004 4:02 PM PDT

NO!!!!!

Collapse -
by zimpsygrp / April 4, 2004 5:38 PM PDT

Q) Does anyone know if the Antenna Boosters work?

A) My experience has been that they do work, but with a caveat! I've noticed that with the antenna, I am able to get signal in certain areas where I had none without the antenna. The problem is that I now get no signal in some areas that I did have signal before!

Q) ...if they do work, how do I know if it is real or fake?

A) If it works for you, then I guess it works! I'm not sure if the antenna funtions as a signal booster, however, or just a more directional antenna than the one built into the phone.

Collapse -
do cell phone antennas work?
by qsally / August 10, 2009 6:34 AM PDT

Goodness, what a bunch of miss-information. How do you think you can use your phone in a mall? Why do police cars use multiple antennas (for different devices) on their cars?

Cell phone signals are just radio frequency signals that have been around since 1865 in England, closer to 1900 in the states. In both cases they started building boosters about 5 minutes later.

All of the antennas and dishes you see on commercial buildings are transmitting and receiving radio frequency signals that are being pushed by amplifiers (boosters).

Quality wireless cell phone signal boosters (repeaters) just do the same thing cell phone towers do (those little houses by the cell phone towers house powerful amplifiers and huge battery packs). That is to push a signal that's here to the tower (repeater) over there, that continues down the line.

And the service providers do sell them - and have them installed for their large user customers in office and other commercial buildings.

Verizon uses a Wilson Electronics booster (wireless repeater system) in their National Communications Center that they bought from UnwiredSignal.com. I know because I engineered it and talked with them by phone after they installed it.

I have also engineered and sold Wilson systems to US Homeland Security,US Army, Navy, Marines, Chevron, Dow and many other big orgianzitions and UnwiredSignal has sold thousands over the years to individuals for their homes, offices, cars and cabins.

Those decals that go inside the phone don't work and can't. It is against FCC regulations to boost the signal at the point of the head. Besides, what did you think you were getting for a dollar?

Forums are great. I love them. Then I come across people who are yacking when they should be listening.

If anyone needs further information about cell phone signal boosters, I can be reached through the company mentioned above. The 800 number is at the top of every one of the thousand pages. I'm usually a nice guy.

Collapse -
by Keithj / April 4, 2004 6:30 PM PDT

Simply, no. They don't amplify the signal in any way.

Collapse -
by drp / April 4, 2004 8:59 PM PDT

I installed one and it DID NOT work. My signal was worse after i installed it. It was a total wast of money.

Collapse -
by billsailer / April 4, 2004 10:33 PM PDT

I have cell phone antenna boosters in two phones, and am pleased that they help extend my reception into areas that were more limited.

The ones I have, that self attach onto the inside body
of the phone do help.

I am in an area on the Eastern Shore of Maryland that has a lot of dead spots around Crisfield,Deal Island and Oriole, and areas along Route 13 going to Salisbury, Maryland.

They reduce the size of the dead spots, and make the calls that I make near them clearer. They are a help where the spacing of the towers is further apart. In a city I don't notice any difference. Been using them 8 years or so. My own house is a dead spot that nothing helps, I go one block away, and get fine reception.

Collapse -
by hokienet / April 4, 2004 11:28 PM PDT

They work for me, been using them for several years. I live in the mountains of SW Virginia and my phones work better then those that don't have it when down in the valleys.

Collapse -
by bperrin / April 4, 2004 11:00 PM PDT

I received one as a gift. I had two identical phones with the same provider and so I installed it in one phone and used the other as an unaltered comparison. I actually found some small improvement on the phone with the antenna (a small sheet of plastic with a circuit traced on it) but the results were unpredictable. To assure myself that it wasn't the phone, I then switched the antenna to the other phone and found that the improvement moved with the antenna. Would I recommend the antenna? With some qualification. First the price should be low, not twenty five or even twenty dollars, more on the order of ten dollars or less. Second, it seems to be most useful in fringe areas where service fades in and out. It does not seem to help measurably in areas with reasonable singnal strength. I have since purchased a new phone and moved the antenna to the new phone. Then another phone and moved the antenna again. In each case, I found a small but measurable difference with the antenna. My provider is T-Mobile and I also moved the chip back and forth for further assurance.

Collapse -
by Swine flu / April 4, 2004 11:23 PM PDT

Speaking as a repair technician for a major cellphone manufacturer, I can tell you now that NO, they do not work. The little cicuit looking ones they tell you to place between your battery and the housing are a rip off.

There are a few things you can do to get better reception. Some aftermarket antennas have a lower resistance than the one from the manufacturer and will cause lower signals to be slightly heightened, but they also reduce quality of transmissions.

The Intenna, antenna ampplifyer and others that are a paste on or stick on are simply only making them money by boosting the consumer.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Does anyone know if the Antenna Boosters work?
by inorga / April 13, 2004 3:42 PM PDT

I've heard the same from others, and I've worked in cellular retail sale for a long time. I've tried a couple of the little sticker ones, and the more pricey (and more professionally packaged) ones actually made reception on my own phone go from fading in and out of maybe a half-bar of reception (cutting in and out) to two full bars in my friend's basement.

Collapse -
by Cellphonetech / April 4, 2004 11:19 PM PDT

If they did work, don't you think the service providers stores would stock them?

They don't work!

Collapse -
by tboy / May 21, 2004 5:00 AM PDT

"If they did work, don't you think the service providers stores would stock them?"

No. Because that would be addmiting they are selling faulty products.

Collapse -
by mah56j / April 4, 2004 11:38 PM PDT

The little stick-on type don't seem to do anything. But I did discover a partial solution when using my cell phone in my office( where the signal is very weak). The C. Craine Company sells an aentenna for use in trucks to boost cell phone signal--http://www.ccrane.com/cellular_antenna.asp It definitely works. Drawbacks--it costs $75, plugs into the charging socket on your cell phone, and in my case I drilled a hole in my office wall and hung the device from a shrub. If you want to get a few looks, walk down the street with it Happy

Collapse -
by gkloc / April 5, 2004 3:13 AM PDT

You ask a valid question, but forget one very important fact. You cannot get something for nothing. There is/are no amplifiers circuits and it draws no current (electricity), thus it gives you exactly what it gets - nothing. Nuf said.....

Collapse -
by legesdiamonds / April 5, 2004 8:23 AM PDT

NOT NO: BUT HELL NO. i am not an/a electronic engineer, but it seems to reason that if you remove your battery and stick the booster to the phone and reinstall the battery, you have just set up a magnetic field which will produce interference. yes i have tried these and they do not work. save your money.

Collapse -
by ketchfish / April 5, 2004 8:42 AM PDT

They absolutely do not work. If a thin little piece of plastic with a solder design printed on, (total cost to produce probably a nickel), would boost the performance of a cell phone, the cell phone manufacturers would add it to either the phone or battery and charge you extra for the additional performance. These things are a complete scam and rip-off.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.