Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

Does Anyone know if REGWORK is a scam?

by sicilianne / April 27, 2011 3:43 AM PDT

I was notified by an email (based on my resume being posted on many job listing sites) that a recruiting company was interested in me. It sent me an email asking me to schedule an interview which would be a webinar at first. i scheduled for today and I rec'd several emails all day reminding me of the interview. Finally it was 15 mins before and I was given a link to log on to, it brought me to a page that said it highly recommended I download this REGWORK first, Im notsure what that has to do with a webinar or interview, before completeing the download (thanks to my AVG for forcing me to pay attention to that suspicion in the backofmy mind,that I was ignoing for hopes of it being a legit job since Iam desperate to go back to work) anyway AVG prompted that it didnt recognise the site and to only continue if I knew it was a trusted site. I then closed the program, and now Im curious was the whole thing a scam or am I being paranoid,and may have missed out on a job oppertunity. My computer probabally does need some kind of deep cleaning or components are all working properly type confirmation because I have had so many viruses in the past my boyfriend had to change my OS, besides my 12 yr old still thinks everything that sounds perfect is perfect and can be easily convinced she won something and downladthings unintentionally even though all my AVG scans come back clean I still worry. Sorry for the extra unneeded story telling, I am just worried maybe it wasnt a scam and noticed something my computer needed or was missing in order to join the webinar. Can anyone help me??? I willreally appreciate it!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does Anyone know if REGWORK is a scam?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does Anyone know if REGWORK is a scam?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
RegWork Is A Registry Cleaner... Not Required For A Webinar
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 27, 2011 4:49 AM PDT

Registry cleaners, in general, cause more problems than their worth.. They identify hundreds of "problems" in the registry that aren't truly problems, then ask you to allow the program to remove the entries.. I find it interesting that I've never found a legitimate, non-biased registry cleaner test site which proclaims such cleaners help performance at all. I wouldn't download and install such a program, but each to his/her own.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
Sorry, I don't have a question on this.
by rethamarie / May 3, 2012 6:30 AM PDT

I was looking on the web for an answer on how to open file .LS, one was Regwork and I just wondered if it was virus free...so thought maybe someone had an answer before I checked with them.

Collapse -
Re: Regwork
by Carol~ Forum moderator / May 3, 2012 8:30 AM PDT

rethamarie..

I'm not sure how the .LS files relates to Regwork, but you asked if it's virus free. I don't have first-hand knowledge of the software. Only because I don't use any registry cleaners. For the same reason Grif pointed out in his post.

According to WOT (Web of Trust), the site itself is given an unsafe rating. WOT isn't 100% accurate 100% of the time, but it's close and serves as a good guideline.

Additionally, when I see an inordinate amount of posts on the internet, where people are asking how to remove it, I steer clear of such programs. Only one example.

If you already have Regwork installed, you have the option of uploading the concerned file to a VirusTotal type service, which analyzes suspicious files.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Answer
REGWORK WAS BAD FOR ME.
by azloafer / July 26, 2012 1:19 PM PDT

I was having some minor problems with my PC and I just happened to see it reviewed on CNET. I believe CNET gave it 5 stars. Then I read that Microsoft officially recommended it. I have downloaded programs like this before and I know to watch for add-ons that come along with the download. Sure enough, each page would offer an ACCEPT button and a DECLINE button. All I wanted was the original program because CNET rated it so high. I declined everything, but that didn't help. All kind of crap got loaded onto my machine! Every time I attempted to remove the programs they would hide enough of it to rebuild in a matter of minutes. I did a restore from the Microsoft program and thought that was it because my windows 7 would now turn everything back one day. Some of this junk was still there. I worked and worked on it and then I went to google it. I found that apparently hundreds of people were talking about it in forums and blogs. There were all kinds of suggestions on how to do the removal. Some people mentioned that they had Cyberlink Deluxe Suite on their machine and it was messing with that program. I also had the Cyberlink Suite. After trying everything that people suggested I went in manually. I was either going to remove the junk along with REGWORK or do a clean install. I even tried a removal with a tool that REGWORK had posted. I did remove all of it but I lost the use of Cyberlink in the process. Cyberlink refused to give me a download even though I had the program registered. So far it looks like I have all the junk out. Not to happy about REGWORK or CYBERLINK. I may not have answered your question, but I could at least warn people about the company.

Collapse -
Answer
Regwork
by chuckflynn / July 31, 2012 5:08 AM PDT

Regwork is TERRIBLE. Do not download even for the $4.95 trial period. Regwork will wreck your computer.
After installing Rework, I restarted my computer.... DISASTER OCCURED......my computer was running slower than dialup, I couldn't access my email, my computer seemed confused and wasn't running right. I went on the Regwork site and the only way to reach them was through email... no phone number. I had to email for help but my email wasn't working. I called my credit card company,they hd no phone number to call. I removed regwork from my computer and things seemed to work again. My computer is still not up to the speed that it was working at prior to the download of Regwork These people should not be in business

Collapse -
Answer
regwork/regcurepro
by lakecwby / February 7, 2013 9:24 AM PST

Luckily Kaspersky Internet security blocked reg work junk but my new laptop comes up with regcurepro - anyone know if it's related or the same?
John

Collapse -
Answer
Registry cleaners are snake oil
by wpgwpg / February 7, 2013 9:31 AM PST

Avoid anything that claims to clean the registry. They are all snake oil. They are not needed, do no noticeable improvement, and can cause harm that is both difficult to diagnose and difficult to repair. Back before Windows 2000 and XP, they could help, but MS rewrote the way they handled the registry to make these so-called cleaners obsolete.

Good luck.

Collapse -
regcurepro
by lakecwby / February 7, 2013 11:31 AM PST

Thank you, I figured it was more of a continuing scam over registry errors - from zero to over 700 overnight!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.