Computer Newbies

General discussion

Does anyone know how I can find cookies and web addresses...

by melsrockpile / August 18, 2009 1:41 PM PDT

A young person in my household has been visiting inappropriate websites and clears the browser history and cookies thru 'Internet options' in Windows XP after they are finished. Is there another way to find out what the websites are, and the cookies? Is there a 'Run' or 'Search' Command, or something, to reveal this information?
Anything would be helpful.
Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does anyone know how I can find cookies and web addresses...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does anyone know how I can find cookies and web addresses...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, so young persons do.
by Kees Bakker / August 18, 2009 4:53 PM PDT

And I must admit that I'm doing that cleaning also, for reasons I won't go into her. But I'm sure my family never heard of http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/indexdat.html

Once you used it and confronted him or her with the result, he or she surely will move to a friends PC for occasional use.

Kees

Collapse -
And some discussion.
by Kees Bakker / August 18, 2009 6:08 PM PDT
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/features/safer.aspx tells about inPrivate browsing in IE8. It's supposed to leave no traces on the hard disk (but the published documentation doesn't mention index.dat, so it's possible that that's still being used), I don't know.

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable lets you download portable Firefox. Runs from a USB-stick. Also supposed to leave no personal information on the machine you run it on. It explicitely mentions bookmarks and extensions being on the stick, and I suppose the same goes for cookies and cache.
Moreover, index.dat isn't being used by Firefox at all. It could well be that cleaning private data in Firefox is good enough to prevent anybody seeing anything.

Yes, privacy (also the privacy of kids with snooping parents) is taken care of in several ways. And with kids being rather computer-savvy nowadays they might be on the winning side.

Kees
Collapse -
Don't
by bammurdo / August 21, 2009 3:35 AM PDT

DO NOT confront the little guy over this ...
it will cause two things

1) a awkard momment PlainSilly
2), doing so basically tells a young mind (if s/he's around the young ages (12-14 ish) ) that this 'thing' is bad ... and could even possibly make him/her FEAR it in the future ...

insted of trying to trap him/her
move the computer near where you sit during the evening
when your around, he wont be able to open these websites as s/he might get caught... and will eventually go off them alltogether ...

bam Happy

Collapse -
Don't!...
by melsrockpile / August 21, 2009 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't

I hadn't intended to bring it up or corner my adolescent for viewing inappropriate websites but will have another chat one on one in the near future and re-enforce some ground rules about web-surfing with some consequences. Its all good - it'll be handled delicately.
Thanks.

Collapse -
Nope.
by Dango517 / August 22, 2009 1:33 PM PDT

Sorry, you might be lying. There is no way I can tell, so, no I will not assist you in spying on others. If you are who and what you say you are, use the parental controls on your Windows system. By the way, if your Son or Daughter is viewing these places then their friends might be viewing them on that PC as well.

Of course in the US there is also this:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Contributing+to+the+Delinquency+of+a+Minor

No, I'm not a lawyer.

Collapse -
Nope
by melsrockpile / August 22, 2009 10:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Nope.

Dango517 - I fail to see how my concern about my children's web surfing activities has anything to do with "Contributing to the delinquency of a minor". If that's what you have in the US, keep it in the US! Furthermore, if you don't have anything good or helpful to say, why bother saying anything?
I doubt anyone really cares to hear it...

Collapse -
yea...
by jeff_windows_team / August 24, 2009 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope.

Doesn't your argument make all the more reason that she should be putting safety precautions in place like all those suggested before and after your comment?

"No, I'm not a lawyer"- You didn't need to tell us.

Collapse -
Saftey precautions...
by melsrockpile / August 24, 2009 10:01 AM PDT
In reply to: yea...

Well its a little hard to put gaming websites into family safety, when most gaming websites fail to comply with ratings. Gross carnage, blood and gore along with vulgar and profane language was my concern. Issues have been solved and all is well.
Thanks to those who offered help.

Collapse -
Another link
Collapse -
Yes, use a parental control software
by onlinesfty / August 28, 2009 2:35 AM PDT

There are parental control software available in the market. Some of them are capable of generating reports of the websites visited. I use one on my iphone and netbooks, www.mobicip.com. They do a good job of filtering inappropriate web content and additionally generate a report of the websites visited. I know that Mobicip is working to release a windows version in the next several weeks. If you need one immediately, you can check out similar ones for Windows.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.