Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Does anyone have current user experience with Clear ISP?

by artychyck / April 11, 2011 3:45 AM PDT

I am trying to reduce my monthly overhead. I have just canceled the Cable portion of our current Verizon Fios plan.
We have 2 home offices and the priority is Internet and the phone for faxes and a few international calls to clients each month.
The people at Verizon were rude when I canceled Cable, and I now want to cancel the rest of it.

What appears to be available in New England (RI) is Verizon Fios, Cox and Clear! Any feedback on Clear or Cox would be great.

I am looking at Clear for wireless internet and phone.
It seems hands down the cheapest. My concern is consistency and reliability.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does anyone have current user experience with Clear ISP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does anyone have current user experience with Clear ISP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by bill012 / April 11, 2011 5:31 AM PDT

First if you are looking at clear look at sprint also. They use exactly the same network but sprint offers a true unlimited plan.

Verizon are jerks but Fios is going to be the best you can get.

All the wireless stuff is hit and miss. First make sure you can get a 4G signal inside your house. Just because they show coverage does not mean it will work. 3G has a cap on it even from sprint and is much slower than the 4G.

The speed is ok but not as good as any broadband. Part of the problem is the overhead of sharing the bandwidth on the cell tower. This causes much higher delay in the in packets. It works pretty well for web surfing but online games or streaming video are inconstant. Not sure why sometime it will play high def video without a glitch and then the next time it will stall. It is a radio so all kinds of things can degrade the signal.

It is a great service if you are mobile. Since it is target to a different market it is hard to compare with any broadband.

Can't say on Cox. Like almost every company they have people who like them and people who hate them. I think many people just tolerate verizon since FIOS is so fast and when you get down to it your internet traffic will likely travel over verizon (ie UUNET) no matter who you buy the local service from.

Collapse -
I appreciate your quick and comprehensive response
by artychyck / April 11, 2011 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Wireless-clear

Your posted response to my question was especially effective in inspiring more questions for the potentially new service provider.
How do I test to see if I can get a 4G signal inside of my house?
How do I know that I am actually receiving the signal strength I am paying for. For example Cox goes the Modem and Router route and offers 4 options.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post! You have helped me immensely.

Collapse -
Signal levels
by bill012 / April 12, 2011 3:02 AM PDT

Most allow you a 30 day cancellation with no penalty.

The device many people use is the EVO phone. It let you use it a hotspot. The device I have used is!/devices/sierra-wireless-overdrive-pro

It is the same as the phone but no phone plan.

We have one of these we lend to people, like a cell phone it will tell you how much signal strength and tell you if it is 4G or 3G. It has lights on the front.

They also sell more normal routers if you need one but I like it that this router is battery powered and tiny.

Like I said if you do not get good 4G signal you really don't want to use this as your primary internet. I know a couple of people who get good 4G in their house who have canceled their home internet so they don't have to pay internet on their phone and in the house.

Like any ISP you can run the speed test stuff and you never get what they try to sell you. I think they claim 10m at 4g but say 4-6m. Most the time I have seen about 2m but you can get that in a moving car. Once you get out of the 4G it slows down a lot.

Collapse -
Clear ISP experience
by Ken Carter / April 11, 2011 7:04 PM PDT

Stay away from this rip off. Your gonna spend around $45.00 a month for a sevice that has the speed of a cheap dial up. And when you comlpain your told your streaming to many movies from Net Flix etc.

Collapse -
Thank you for sharing your experience with Clear
by artychyck / April 11, 2011 10:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Clear ISP experience

I had hoped that Clear had improved after reading the earlier posts from previous years. It's surprising that the same issues and explanations are being used several years later.
At this point Cox is looking good. They offered my stripped down phone service and a bill including taxes that is a 3d of my previous bill for internet and phone. I am even looking into a magic jack to test out.

Collapse -
Clear Customer
by Omnee / April 18, 2011 3:54 AM PDT

I got clear back in November2010. Sales Person told me it would be great for what all I do. Multiple computers and a PS3. We got it because it was cheap and seemed like a good deal. The free month we had was perfect. We were paying for Unlimited internet and we got what we were paying for. However, after that free month things went down hill. Speed was horrid sometimes under 1 Mb. We couldn't even get 10 minutes into a Netflix movie without it having to retrieve. Then about 15-18 times in an hour of watching.

Yesterday, they killed our net til someone brought up a browser. No phone calls from them or anything. We had paid the bills BUT it would seem that us, using Netflix was breaking some agreement, though they could not point it out.

Netflix was "affecting other customers in the area". Basically, they were getting complaints about the crappy internet speeds...and they dumped the blame on us for watching Netflix/streaming videos such as YouTube.

If you are going to use Basic net..and not play any good games/watch movies/YouTube yeah go for it. If you like actually doing stuff on the web I suggest looking elsewhere as I already have. Broke contract and told them they can have their stuff. AT&T will be out Thursday.

Even though we have fully paid through the month Clear has blocked my downloads and my PS3 system from getting online.

Hope this helps you some.

Collapse -
Thank you
by artychyck / April 18, 2011 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Clear Customer

I have not heard a single good response. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience! It is really helpful because on the phone they will tell you many things to get the sale.

Collapse -
Clear,Gmail and Outlook 2010;
by notsofasthotshot / February 17, 2012 2:21 PM PST

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font><font size="3"><font face="Calibri"><span style="mso-tab-count: 1;"> I have been speaking
with Clear Support and the Clear Corporation's Office trying to help them get
the 2010 e-mail information to there customers to unclude me. Support worldwide did not have the directions to set
up Outlook 2010 and all the support techs changed the ports and encryption settings
so much was polite and hung up the phone because they just did not know. (This
has been going on for a few months.) I had the Corp. office help me one once
thinking I could help them understand they better do something fast. 1) Tech support is in
the Philippines and they are <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> trying
so hard though they haven't been able to use anything but 2007 or 2010 instructions. 2003 and
2007 is so different to view that everyone is lost with set up. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> Everyone needs to see the new windows in 2010 Outlook.Support can not tell you whats on your monitor at any one time.
The splash screen is new and set up must be done prior to the first time you
open Outlook 2010 Few of the tech support even<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> looked at the settings within Gmail ( 20% or when asked ) though the techs are interested in hacking after seeing the program isn't working
changeing eveything and telling you to call Microsoft. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> Let's try and help out
Wimax up because some of us have no other option but wireless . <?xml:namespace prefix =" o" ns =" "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"" /><o:p></o:p></font></font>
<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

Collapse -
by aimsfirst / April 18, 2012 12:13 PM PDT

It is a little harder to find the source of Clear. I understand it is part of another big boy organization, Clearwire.

Here is my take. During the past month we have had short outages. We have also had fairly slow internet service, with stalls in video viewing on programs such a faceook and Utube. They told me I had 3g earlier but it sure does not feel like it. I am paying $54 plus some cents for this service. I am not a happy camper..

Collapse -
clear is the worst company in the world!
by 47josecnet / March 1, 2013 7:22 AM PST

Want to talk to twenty slaves who don't know anything, and whom you cannot understand? Well, you can't do better than Clear Wireless. Clear stole four hundred dollars from us. Took the money, never provided one gram of service or product. company that is only good for treating American customers like dirt, and exclusively employing terrified slaves on the other side of the world. I repeat: Clear stole four hundred dollars from us.

Collapse -
Range questionable
by williambjacobs / March 6, 2013 5:48 AM PST

Tried this service for a little bit but the device needed to be placed next to a window, and my computer is on the other side of the room, so I wasn't able to use the wifi hardly at all while at work.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.