Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Does anyone have any feedback on Zone Alarm A/V?

by lonehiker / May 21, 2005 6:14 AM PDT

I am a frequent reader in these forums, so when my Norton A/V needed to be renewed, I uninstalled it. I am using Zone Alarm Security Suite A/V. I also have AVG installed. They both seem to be okay. Does anyone have an opinion regarding Zone Alarm A/V?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does anyone have any feedback on Zone Alarm A/V?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does anyone have any feedback on Zone Alarm A/V?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i have always been
by dawillie / May 21, 2005 6:28 AM PDT

of the opinion that AV manufacturers should not dable in Firewall protection and vice versa.

AVG will be offering Kerio Personal Firewall as a package.

FYI Kerio is also created in the Czech Republic, but not by the creators of AVG.

IMO, ZA should stay with Firewall protection and leave AV protection to those who are dedicated to that function.

Collapse -
You are right.
by lonehiker / May 21, 2005 11:28 AM PDT
In reply to: here is mine

It is best to have separate protection with a/v and firewall. Thank you, all of you, for your input.

Collapse -
Just my opinion...
by Larry38 / May 21, 2005 7:41 AM PDT

I use ZA Firewall, have not tried the AV. You are much better off useing all independent tools rather than a Suite. As stated above, if one tool goes down, you would not lose all protection. I don't have any suites, but have a lot of tools that work well togeather.
Larry

Collapse -
hmmm
by dyspyzthespyz / May 21, 2005 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Just my opinion...

you would if an uninstall and reinstall is in order......then, for some unknown reason, whatever it was happens again.....at the very least wtih independent tools, the loss of one does not mean you have to uninstall the other if that is what needs to be done, norton is famous for that!

Collapse -
There are no single "fix-all" apps
by rosmo / June 1, 2005 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Just my opinion...

I agree with you Larry. My experience has been there are no single ''fix-all'' apps out there unfortunately. It would be nice to have a single app that would take care of everything with a single click of the mouse which is what I believe they are trying to accomplish with security suiting. Perhaps some day they will work it all out :-). I also found that the suites were resource hogs and tended to bog down my system with Norton's being the king of the hogs.

I did some basic AV testing on known infected machines using just the AV and ran them in the following order: Norton's AV, ZoneAlarm AV which required me to un-install Norton's first, and then used the free House Call by Trendmicro.com. All 3 detected maleware the others did not with Norton's detecting the most and ZA the least.

So after some further testing I settled with Norton's followed up with a free House Call scan for AV and Zone Alarm for firewall protection. Seems to be a good mix with each app focused on what got them to where they are now in the first place.

Regards,
Alex R.

Collapse -
Does anyone have........
by Earthquake McGoon / May 24, 2005 11:22 AM PDT

I acknowledge the possible disadvantages of using a suite, however I have used ZA Security Suite for two years now an one of my PC's. If something goes wrong, they will give you a free download to replace it. This guarantee is good for the year that your subscription runs. I just re-upped mine again. I am a big fan of the free AV's available and use AVG on my other machine with Win98SE and dial up modem. The ZA is very flexible without being complicated. It can be fine-tuned to a much greater degree than AVG or BitDefender. If you are going to pay for an AV, this one obviously gets my vote.
Have used both Norton & McAfee in the past, and wouldn't touch either one again!

Collapse -
zone zlaram a/v
by wickedwicks / May 26, 2005 10:03 PM PDT

I tried it on my computer for trial period and was highly statisfied with it's overall performance. It was easy to installed. It watched over the computer and all of its programs,and kept me informed as to when and who was trying to access my computer through a known site or a trojan horse. Zone alarm alwasys kept track of e-mails coming in as well as those going out to make sure an virses was on my computer. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 10 for excellent and overall performance.

Thanx

Samuel M. Wicks

Collapse -
zone alarm
by Azson / May 27, 2005 3:01 AM PDT

I've used it for years, works great. Ive tryed both pro and free, the free works just as good as the pro.

Collapse -
Zome Alarm
by inkeeper4 / May 27, 2005 3:01 AM PDT

I ahve been using Zone Alarm for several years and with two Widnows systems, 98 and XP. I find it to be an extremely useful tool but I also keep Norton AV and Norton AntiSpam running.

Collapse -
Zone Alarm
by patriotjames / May 27, 2005 4:17 AM PDT

I used Zone alarm about 2 years ago when everyone was agaga over it. It seemed to work ok, but some items were blocked that I wanted to let through, but could not.

So, I decided to uninstall it. Guess what? You have to go through the entire registry and remove all traces of it to truly uninstall it. Never again will I put that thing on any of my machines. I use Norton Internet Security and it does the job just fine. I will stick with it. Have also used McAfee, but ran into the same uninstall problem, bcause the disc turned up missing, and you cannot uninstall without the original install disc.

Jim

Collapse -
Zone Alarm a/v
by RichardMWalker / May 27, 2005 6:55 AM PDT

I got to tell you, I'm very careful with my comp., I used Norton and still got virus's, Last year I went over to zone alarm a/v and have had no problems with them. I have been using Zone alarm's firewall for a few years { freeware}, and I am very pleased with it. they are a very good company with good support.

Collapse -
Zone Alarm Garbage!!
by andy6319 / May 27, 2005 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Zone Alarm a/v

I have in the last 2 months bought Zone Alarm Pro and Zone Alarm Security Suite, the PRO went haywire and had to get the Suite but after installing it and getting the key registered it went floooeeeeyyyy too!!
I am back to the McAfee and don't say I am crazy about it either it lets stuff in the Java and script languages in through where I cant find it but I will never tell anyone to use ZA or install it ever!!!
NO GOOD if ya ask me and getting it off the computer isn't just a click on uninstall either!!! Andy6319

Collapse -
Happy with Zone Alarm
by charlie240 / May 27, 2005 1:12 PM PDT

Recently switched from Norton to Zone Alarm d/t a free promotion with RoadRunner. I am very pleased so far. Still figuring out the kinks with some stuff it wants to block but have found it easy to use. I also game online and I am finding performance improved since switching.

Collapse -
vsmon.exe
by lonehiker / May 27, 2005 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Happy with Zone Alarm

This is a part of Zone Alarm on my computer that occasionally runs up the CPU to 100%. It can also lock up the computer and I need to take the battery out to restart it. I have a Dell laptop with 256 ram and 2.4 Ghz running XP sp2. I have Zone Alarm security suite. I tried to put vsmon.exe on manual, but it was not allowed.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Collapse -
vsmon.exe
by Elyse / May 30, 2005 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: vsmon.exe

I also had that problem with ZA and it running up my CPU but I uninstalled it and reinstalled and am doing real good now. I had recently gotten ahost of trojan horses that attched to my start up registry and I believe that was the problem and have taken care of thoes. Have had ZA for over 3 years and AVG and love both.

Collapse -
vsmon.exe
by jrichar9 / June 7, 2005 2:39 AM PDT

My wife's computer is an HP Pavilion with WinXP Home on it. She has Zone Alarm free edition (latest update), and vsmon.exe is constantly running taking up 50% or more of the CPU and revving up the hard drive until it sounds like it could take off!

I am going to uninstall Zone Alarm and reinstall and see if it helps any.

My own computer has the same Zone Alarm, and it doesn't have the problem with vsmon.exe. Don't know what makes the difference.

Collapse -
Possibly HPs propriety software alterations to XP Home? I ..
by tobeach / July 5, 2005 3:09 PM PDT

have noticed on our HP Pavillion many programs need specialty reworks to suit HPs setup.Seems especially true with Laptops. You're forced to do updates via HPs site because of this. The extra drag of their software running from boot is hard on a 1.0 or 1.4 mhz. machine. Happy

Collapse -
vsmon\
by dvae / October 29, 2006 6:20 PM PST

yes its a blody nuisance, there seem to be two parts of the recent upgrade of Zone Alarm , vsmon and zlclient which between them rocket the CPU up to 100% result misery, frustration. Even more frustrating the makers of ZA seem impervious to complaints and requests for help. Someone whose in contact with them please give them a well aimed kick where the sun don't shine. UBLESS....someone clever has some ideas???

Collapse -
Computing Lock Up
by ronlee317 / January 28, 2009 11:06 PM PST

Your ram is quite small. I were you I would update it. Most computers have two to three slots where you can add ram chips. That will help and speed up your computer. Most of them will cost you around $40. Go to Dells website and enter your computers information. If and when you do that I would recommend you to download a registry clearner. You may have temporary and unwanted files on it. I would also delete your browsing history. Not so much your cookies though. I would also recommend you defrage your system on a monthly basis. This will clean broken up, or fragmented files that are in little pieces and stored in many different areas of the hard disk. I would also recommend you have a proficient AV, spam block, adware blocking, and firewall installed. I promise you that your computer will operate well to your liking if you do these basic steps.

Collapse -
This thread you are
by roddy32 / January 29, 2009 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: Computing Lock Up

repying to is MANY years old. Just letting you know that things have changed greatly since the thread was started. Happy

Collapse -
Zone Alarm Opinion,Shared by Many!
by kingdomofjones / May 27, 2005 2:58 PM PDT

The Zone Alarm freeware offer for there firewall first came to my attention as I was learning about firewall technology through grc.com.Founder of grc.com shared not only information(packet design and zone information technology that the Zone Alarm firewall was pioneering with very very good results)but also his personal opinion which was very much in keeping with his entire web site.The founder of grc.com is a man by the name of steve gibson and though I have thought of his contribution to the internet as a genuine white hat it is not what paid the bills all these years.I have learned quite a bit from all those visits but it seems the most beneficial application that my computer may very well have ever been subjected to and it may very well end up being SpinRite6.A stalwart application that provides your hard drive with a much needed service.However for now we ask the opinion does the ZoneAlarm excuse for an anti-virus present in the internet security suite do the job?The answer is like there firewall,Yes-terribly,terribly well.I had not seen a virus in some two plus years and though I have detected two virus infected files within the four years of my computing life,both by the way were nabbed by Norton anti-virus,the changes and adjustments that were to occur perhaps contributed to the fact that the ZoneAlarm Anti-Virus has nabbed 4 separate infected files,all by the way attempting to enter my computer through junk e-mail attachments at msn.com.There have been two other alerts that were handled without me being involved.Effective and intelligent,a very good alternative to main stay applications like Norton Anti-Virus.Highly Recommended.

Collapse -
Had ZoneAlarm Suite Two Years
by mdouglassmiller / May 27, 2005 10:11 PM PDT

... and have never had any trouble with it. The only downside is that, if you must turn off your firewall (ZoneAlarm) for any reason... your antivirus is turned off at the same time until you restart the firewall... but until something much better comes along I'll sttick with it. Am well pleased.

Collapse -
Less resource hogging
by mr_djamigos / May 27, 2005 11:22 PM PDT

I've tried most all the major players in the A/V and firewall market and find Zonealarm to be excellent. Although I do like Norton's thoroughness, it hogs system resources and puts even a smoking system down to a crawl. Zonealarm just does what it does and if your settings are set up right, you forget it's there. Separate progs are ok but using too many just plugs up the system with 'digital dustbunnies'. Simple can be good.

Collapse -
Zone Alarm Security Suite
by DrMicro / May 30, 2005 12:16 PM PDT

I have been using Zone Alarm's firewall for years (both the free and paid Pro versions) and have never had a complaint or problem.

As a computer support professional, I have to maintain familiarity with a variety of products, and so, I run Norton, McAfee, AVG, and ZoneLabs products on one or more of the machines in my network. This gives me a good opportunity to compare each product side-by-side.

I recently installed ZoneAlarm Security Suite on two of my computers, one of which was already running the free AVG antivirus app. The installation was straightforward and proceeded on both machines without a hitch. While I am an expert user, even the novice will do fine if he/she simply accepts the default settings. Zone Alarm and AVG coexist nicely and in two months of use, I have had no conflicts whatsoever. I also am running Microsoft Antispyware (Beta) and CounterSpy from Sunbelt Software on these machines. One machine is Windows 2000 Pro, the other is Windows XP Pro. Both machines have plenty of RAM and hard drive space.

While I might concede the point that with an integrated solution when one component fails you might lose the remaining functionality, I have not had that happen with ZoneAlarm Security Suite. I HAVE had that happen with similar products from Symantec and McAfee, however.

If you run ZoneAlarm Security Suite and concurrently run the free AVG Antivirus, you will still have AV protection in the unlikely event you have a problem with ZoneAlarm.

One feature I like about ZoneAlarm's Security Suite is it's spam filter, which integrates extremely well with Outlook Express (I have yet to try it with Outlook).

It is worth noting that ZoneAlarm Security Suite works best with Microsoft Internet Explorer and Outlook/Outlook Express. Unless I am mistaken, Mozilla-based products are not currently supported, though ZoneLabs says they are "working on it".

If you are a mainstream user, with Internet Explorer and Outlook/Outlook Express, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend trying ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

James S.
Doctor Micro, Inc.

Collapse -
Zone Alarm
by sargento / May 31, 2005 2:53 PM PDT

I found this forum on Zonnie quite interesting, in that the uninstall action by most bloggers is similar to my experiences when I tried to get rid of 'big brother'. Other than that, the reviews are pro=zonnie. But I think I will stick with Norton when renewal time comes. I just don't want that uninstall problem again incase I want to get rid of it.

Collapse -
Zone Alarm
by dirtnapper / June 7, 2005 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Zone Alarm

I went with ZoneAlarm Suite about a month...a month beofre m NOrton came due...I was fed up with the slow and bloated prog... I started with a fresh formatted HD and have not looked back..it appears to be working just fine... and fast. As always, use the other tools, SpyBot etc..as well!

Collapse -
WickedWicks
by wickedwicks / July 5, 2005 5:20 AM PDT

I used the product in question for a free trail. It was easy to install, and ran like a champ. It told you if anything was trying to excess your computer, and that if you were not sure of the program it made a safe and proper reccomendation to you, but it was still up to you as far as final decision. It let you made the opition as to when you wanted it to do the prescribed functions, and was just a delite to enjoy. I would give it my highest rating.

Collapse -
About ZoneAlarm
by ronlee317 / January 28, 2009 10:40 PM PST

Let me provide some information about antivirus suites, adware blocking and spam blocking. I am a retired computer analysis and have 25 years of experience in working with all major components and applications with Windows and Mac operating systems. I currently use ZoneAlarm on three of my PC's. I have found ZoneAlamrm Security Suite to be very proficient. You see your computers operating system can be vulnerable to any web site while surfing. There can be hidden attacks that can add a tag without you knowing; therefore adding spam, adware, and viruses that can take over your whole system. When looking for AV, firewalls, spam blocking, adware blocking, and secutity suites you need to find software that can protect you anywhere your surf. I myself would prefer a security suite. True some of them can be intursive; but I would rather keep my computer sleathy and hidden from any attackers. The best software and products that I have found to be proficient are AVG Security Suite, Security Shield, and ZoneAlarm. Of the three I prefer ZoneAlarm because of there up to date data base and compatability with all Windows and Mac operating systems. I would also recommened adding there Force Shield software to keep you hidden and well protected. Your computers stealth is what your looking for. Both products works well with your system32 operating system and your registry. As for software from Kaspersky, Norton products and McAffe! To intursive! Stay away! You'll be forever trying to get them off of your system. They can be to heavy on your hard drive!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.