Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Speakeasy

General discussion

Does anyone besides me . . .

by Coryphaeus / February 26, 2013 / 9:49 AM UTC
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does anyone besides me . . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does anyone besides me . . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Much to JP and Ziks pleasure
by TONI H / February 26, 2013 / 10:19 AM UTC

my head is nearly exploding over this insane crap........

Collapse -
(NT) CLEANUP IN AISLE 3!!!!
by JP Bill / February 26, 2013 / 1:27 PM UTC
Collapse -
I have a problem with your sources, Town Hall is a
by Ziks511 / February 27, 2013 / 9:12 AM UTC

hyper-conservative site which misrepresents the issue tangibly in the article, and with Todd Starnes who is as he proclaims a Bitter American. Not exactly unbiased sources.

Who exactly in the Texas School System ordered the schools to teach Islam and by what authority? It's a simple question not addressed in the article. They talk about CSCOPE, which is a programme put into place by a group of educators (I assume) and reviewed and approved by the Texas Department of Schools and Education and which I assume is to teach kids about how things are in other countries. We did it in Maryland in the 50's, my son did it here in Canada in the 90's. It wasn't indoctrination, it was just an explanation, information with which to begin to understand the world we live in.

It isn't the product of some great Islamic conspiracy which I find difficult to conceive of in the Texas of rewriting the schoolbooks to challenge Evolution and present Creationism. Who would promote Islam in Bible Belt Texas??

I doubt the teachers told the children that God is Allah, I'll bet anything you like that they taught them that Muslims call God Allah. The two ideas are light years apart. And what kid doesn't like dress up, but to turn this incident into some kind of deliberate assault on American Identity, or indoctrination of young impressionable minds is ludicrous.

Read a normal newspaper article like the Dallas Fort Worth newspaper and see if you're not vastly less angry about the issue, when it is explained properly, and without Mr Starnes twisted view.

Rob

Collapse -
Actually, no Toni. Contrary to your opinion I wish you no
by Ziks511 / February 27, 2013 / 9:19 AM UTC

ill, I do wish you greater enlightenment and wisdom. Particualrly the wisdom to recognize when you are being manipulated in such a blatant way as this "news" site is doing. They're taking you for a chump, and by buying into this biased, illogical and almost incoherent rant, you're letting them.

Less heat and more light has always been a principle I have tried to pursue, despite evidence I may have dropped in the heat of an argument to the contrary.

Rob

Collapse -
In another topic thread
by TONI H / February 28, 2013 / 4:18 AM UTC

Enlightenment doesn't come from teachers punishing a student for refusing to recite the Mexican pledge, Rob........this IS America.......you want to be forced to recite the pledge of another country, go live in THAT country instead.

This country has become so politically sensitive to Hispanic (especially) cultures that kids are allowed to wear t-shirts celebrating their holidays, but American kids aren't allowed to wear t-shirts that celebrate the US Flag or its mottos. Gimme a break on your so-called enlightenment crap.......when do THEY become enlightened to the fact that they left their OWN countries to live HERE?

Collapse -
Hispanic is not a political system
by James Denison / February 28, 2013 / 10:59 AM UTC

Those living in this country need to have that point driven home to them. If that's their vision of being "Hispanic", they can return to it, the system didn't leave them, they left it.

Collapse -
I would, if it was true
by Josh K / February 26, 2013 / 10:21 AM UTC

This link suggests that the version you're reading may not be quite accurate:

http://news.msn.com/us/texas-school-comes-under-fire-after-students-wear-burqas-in-class

I wonder if the "freedom fighters" thing, if true, wasn't some kind of role-playing game? Some of the claims being made seem pretty hard to believe.

It also seems a bit curious that the type of lesson portrayed in your link would be taught by a teacher who happens to be Jewish. If it was, in fact, a culture/geography lesson then it would be impossible to discuss Islamic cultures without at least some background about the religion.

I think more information is needed on this one before forming an opinion about it.

Collapse -
Saluting the PC people... just don't count
by TONI H / February 26, 2013 / 10:30 AM UTC

how many fingers I use to salute with.

Collapse -
Nobody's being PC, Toni
by Josh K / February 26, 2013 / 10:36 AM UTC

I just prefer to have more information before ranting or flipping people the virtual bird. For the record, if the story, as reported in the original link, is 100% accurate, yes I would have a problem with it. OK?

Collapse -
I have to wonder, Josh
by TONI H / February 26, 2013 / 12:19 PM UTC

What would the reaction of a parent be if their Muslim son was asked to dress as a priest in order to 'understand' the Vatican/Catholic culture?

Collapse -
I don't know either
by Josh K / February 26, 2013 / 12:33 PM UTC
In reply to: I have to wonder, Josh

But since (according to the MSN article) nobody was forced to put the burqas on, I don't see a First Amendment issue there.

Again -- wouldn't it be best to get the whole story before opining on it? A lot of what's in the original article just doesn't add up -- the fact that the teacher is Jewish, the fact that this took place in a very conservative state that wouldn't have something like this in any official curriculum, etc.

Collapse -
Maybe
by James Denison / February 26, 2013 / 1:08 PM UTC

they'd done better to have the students draw pictures of how they imagined Mohammed looked. I wonder if they taught them about his pedophilia and the rape of a Jewish woman the same night after he'd had her husband killed? I suspect their history lesson was missing some important elements about Islam.

Collapse -
I thought
by TONI H / February 26, 2013 / 1:44 PM UTC
In reply to: Maybe

you weren't allowed to draw pics of Mohammed or be subject to a death sentence?

Collapse -
RE: how they imagined Mohammed looked.
by JP Bill / February 26, 2013 / 1:50 PM UTC

You have your perception of how Jesus looks...BUT do you really know?

They don't believe in false advertising?..Graven image?

Collapse -
Sure, but...
by Pepe7 / February 27, 2013 / 10:11 AM UTC

...then you would also, in good faith (no pun intended), have to talk about the Crusades as well. Now that was a merry bunch of men having quite the clusterfluff of a good time(!)

Collapse -
They would be as understanding as you are?
by JP Bill / February 26, 2013 / 1:26 PM UTC

With your salute?

Collapse -
I note that the only sources I could find on this story were
by Ziks511 / February 27, 2013 / 9:53 AM UTC

all Conservative rant sites. The Daily Caller Tucker Carlson's joke on the American public, World Net Daily (WND), and The Washington Times.

Here's what you get when you do a Google Search. Not a Main Stream site in the bunch.

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=4&gs_ri=psy-ab&pq=lumberton%20tx%20school%20children&cp=31&gs_id=vt&xhr=t&q=Students%20forced%20to%20wear%20burquas&es_nrs=true&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Students+forced+to+wear+burquas&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=305ed35bfb16290c&biw=1440&bih=712

Here's a slightly less rabid version of the story
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/26/texas-students-burqas-lumberton_n_2767109.html

And here's what the Lumberton Independent School district said about the lesson plan

"The lesson that was offered focused on exposing students to world cultures, religions, customs, and belief systems. A description on the whiteboard behind the students show the splits in religions: Islam (Sunni and Shia), Judaism (Reform, Conservatives, and Orthodox), and Christianity (Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant). Clothing expresses the individual culture. The lesson is not teaching a specific religion, and the students volunteered to wear the clothing." Emphasis added, RTB.

Now how many classes were offered to try to help the kids understand that not all Muslims are terrorists and that Islam is a religion related to both Christianity and Judaism and revering the same God I don't know. All three religions' adherents are referred to as The People of the Book. I doubt Islam took up more than the one lesson. What the controversy ensures is that any religion not already covered won't be, which may have been the point of the Conservative attacks all along.

Rob

Rob

Rob

Collapse -
>>Not a Main Stream site in the bunch.>>>
by TONI H / February 28, 2013 / 4:21 AM UTC

And you have no clue why that is? Because no liberal out there see this as an issue........and until they get 'enlightened' to the situation, there never WILL be coverage of this sort of propaganda being taught to our kids.

Collapse -
Or maybe it's because.....
by Josh K / February 28, 2013 / 5:34 AM UTC

.......this did not happen the way that one writer claims it did.

Collapse -
And if what you say is a fact
by TONI H / February 28, 2013 / 5:54 AM UTC

(that the incident didn't happen the way that one writer claims it did), the liberal rags would have been all over it, Josh, to make JUST THAT POINT.

Collapse -
Not necessarily
by Josh K / February 28, 2013 / 6:18 AM UTC

The "liberal rags" don't have time to shoot down every single wacky thing someone claims happened.

You can Google and find all kinds of crazy s***. The New York Times doesn't need to give these stories even more visibility by refuting them.

Collapse -
ROFLMAO
by TONI H / February 28, 2013 / 6:33 AM UTC
In reply to: Not necessarily

You keep on believing your spin, Josh......for how many times those rags have beaten a story to death in order to make THEIR side/spin of an event seem credible, there's no way they would have left this one alone.

Collapse -
Not to mention the almost instantaneous
by James Denison / February 28, 2013 / 11:14 AM UTC
In reply to: ROFLMAO

blog bombing, blog burst, or blog blasting that happens when they send the command out.

Collapse -
How many LSM articles
by TONI H / February 28, 2013 / 4:26 AM UTC
Collapse -
As others have commented and if 100% accurate
by Steven Haninger / February 26, 2013 / 11:17 AM UTC

(which I doubt), the article is troubling. I do not and cannot have an issue with teaching something about the various world religions when done so in the context of geography and culture. A brief sketch of origin and basic beliefs if presented in a non-judgmental fashion is perfectly fine with me. We can include identifying dress, ceremonies, holidays, etc. What we cannot do is get into discussions as to why one of the other is right or wrong in its beliefs or its positive or negative impact on the rest of the world...at least not in a public school environment. That should be reserved for whatever and by whom the students are being taught at home or there own places of worship if they have one. A child's knowing that they will encounter other children who came from different backgrounds and beliefs can and should be a good thing. We give them just enough to not be surprised and let them learn the rest as needed or as curiosity takes over.

Collapse -
(NT) I agree entirely, Steven. Well expressed. Rob
by Ziks511 / February 27, 2013 / 9:54 AM UTC
Collapse -
Seems heavy handed
by Willy / February 27, 2013 / 10:48 AM UTC

It's not balanced and seems to gone off track.

Freedom fighters, nope if they kill others then that's terrorist in our eyes. maybe not to them but it is from anyone else's POV. Further, to go so far into the details of so-called culutal learning and then parents find out about it and in TEXAS! Not a good sign at all.... How can you defend something like that when not offering the culture but flat out showing what seems like a one sided view if anything else. Badly, thought out.. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
one correction at least
by Roger NC / February 27, 2013 / 4:55 PM UTC

CSCOPE denies it was there program. http://www.cscope.us/

False Information on Burqas in CSCOPE

Certain articles have recently claimed that a picture of students wearing burqas was part of a CSCOPE lesson used in a teacher's classroom. This activity was not a part of any lesson in CSCOPE; rather, it was a locally developed lesson in a Texas school district. For more information from the school district, click here.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions
icon