Car Tech forum

General discussion

Does anybody monitor your teen driver?

by krexkang / April 8, 2013 10:02 AM PDT

My son recently received his driver license,I'm so worried about his driving, and I can't stay with him all the time, what do you do? does anybody use tracking device to monitor teens' driving? what kind of device do you recommend?

Thanks

Worried Parents

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does anybody monitor your teen driver?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does anybody monitor your teen driver?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sharing a story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2013 10:24 AM PDT

We started years ago by putting our son in the front seat to see what was going on on the road. It's a simple thing but rather than being a passenger in the back playing video games they got to see more. Later as the driving started they got to drive under the learners permit and we would go over the path to/from the few places they would go daily (college.) It's been a year and the planning paid off.

If you want to install a GPS tracker and logger, sure, those are at amazon and more. BEWARE ANYONE THAT POSTS a direct link as it's likely spam.

Also you can install one of those mobile video recorders.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by krexkang / April 9, 2013 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Sharing a story.

We should know this earlier!but still can using it!

Collapse -
This is the best way to control teen drivers.
by BlackBoxReviews / June 29, 2013 7:22 PM PDT

What you are looking for is something that will help you to monitor your child, reduce your
insurance costs and ensure that you maintain your precious no-claims
bonus in event of a disputed road accident.

The best device that I have seen and reviewed is the RoadHawk. www.roadhawk.co.uk

RoadHawk
are better than other in-car black box camera systems as RoadHawk units
unceasingly capture video and GPS data on a continuous loop to a solid
state memory card. A single memory card can hold considerable days of
information. In the event that you are involved in an incident be it a
close shave or an actual accident, then RoadHawk will sense any
impending incident and trigger an event recording which will capture any
incident that you may have and save that separately from your main
looped recording. That event recording can be used in evidence should a
court case arise.

Best of all not only will it reduce your insurance and help in the event of an accident, you can take out the memory card and review it at any time. This means that your child has no idea when you will review it and will have to maintain a good standard of driving at all times. If they do not any misdemeanours will be captured in HD with sound, so not only will you be able to see how they drive, you will be able to hear what is said too.

If they are informed that the only way that they can drive is with this form of protection they they will have no other choice than to behave themselves and drive properly when using the car.

Hope this helps/

Collapse -
install a dash camera to record his driving
by damuss / May 7, 2014 11:56 PM PDT

You can consider to have a dash camera installed in the car of your son to record everything so that you'll know where he had gone.

I have a Dash-Cam, you can get them from about $60: http://www.szswill.com/car-camera.html

Most keep recording in a loop, so you dont need to do anything until you want the Video. As most take audio, it is a good way to check if you have your Kids driving your car. You can hear conversations, and see where, how and how fast they drive. Most people forget about them, so you get a real idea.

I drive on dirt roads a bit, and there are often idiots coming around corners on the wrong side of the road. If I get hit, I can prove I was not at fault.

Collapse -
Try 30 dollars.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2014 12:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Its is too dangerous for teen age.
by rayan070788 / May 8, 2014 9:26 PM PDT
Collapse -
don't afraid
by JullMc / May 19, 2014 1:15 AM PDT

Why you are afraid about son? Better to hire a good insturctor like my mom did. The was afraid too but after couple of weeks with instructor from education4drivers.com she was inpressed by my progress and become calm down =)

Collapse -
Absolutely!
by ShaneRusso / July 31, 2014 3:53 PM PDT

We use a couple of things:

Automatic: gives our teen a score, beeps if he's going too fast, and helps to fine-tune his driving

Teensafe.com : has a GPS locator so we can see where our son is at all times

The combination of these 2 helps us sleep at night and feel more secure, otherwise I'd have a nervous breakdown.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.