Computer Help forum

General discussion

Does Adobe Flash Player crash your Internet Explorer?

by montreal_1 / January 25, 2007 10:05 PM PST

Hello,

About a year ago, Flash Player began to crash my Internet Explorer 6.0 with a pop-up message claiming that there had been an illegal instruction in module FLASH9B.OCX. I submitted the register dump information to Adobe and they had me reload (again) their latest version, which I did several times without success.

Adobe then said that something must have become corrupt in my Win98SE and that I should not attempt to use their Flash Player. I ran the Win98 tools to verify my Win98 files and I replaced the half dozen files reported as suspicious.

Flash still crashes IE.

So I removed Flash permenantly and because the world runs on Flash media, I am constantly being bombarded with pop-up requests to load Flash Player, which I must constantly refuse.

In most cases I can view a web page even after refusing to load Flash Player, but occassionally, I get the same crash related to module FLASH9B.OCX.

If I have never accepted these opportunities to reload Flash Player, how is it that my Internet Explorer is crashing in a Flash module (FLASH9B.OCX) which is not supposed to be on my system?

Does Flash creap in on its own from some websites without my awareness and approval?

I asked Adobe if at least they could give me a patch that would stop the nuisance pop-up requests to load Flash Player, but they chose not to answer.

Neither does the pop-up blocker I installed prevent that all powerful Flash Player pop-up request to download.

Am I the only person on the planet who can't use Flash Player?

With the monopoly that Adobe Flash Player holds on the market, why are they so uninterested in debugging my problem?

I would have thought that they would be anxious to know what the limits of their Flash Player really are.

Perhaps they know that their latest Flash Player versions don't work well with the oldest of Windows operating systems and it isn't worth their time to fix any compatability problems.

Thanks for any advice.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does Adobe Flash Player crash your Internet Explorer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does Adobe Flash Player crash your Internet Explorer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Does Adobe Flash Player crash your Internet Explorer?
by Tufenuf / January 25, 2007 11:09 PM PST
Collapse -
still crashing
by montreal_1 / January 26, 2007 12:17 AM PST

Thank you Tufenuf for your search link.

I had started looking this morning for references to "FLASH9B.OCX", and there are a number of people who have had problems with this module when used with different operating systems and different browers.

One reference addressed the problem of deleting this file from the system, as it is often locked. Using the Adobe uninstall tool, I did manage to clean out my system of all traces of this module and its parent directories.

Then I visited one of my favorite sites and this site recreated the parent directories and loaded FLASH9X.OCX without my knowledge and about 10 seconds later, my Internet Explorer crashed with an illegal instruction in module FLASH9X.OCB, along with the usual register dump.

I will keep looking for a solution but it is clear that Adobe is in the driver's seat when my computer is involved.

Collapse -
Try This
by Tufenuf / January 26, 2007 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: still crashing

montreal_1, Try the following: Find that flash9.ocx and right click it and select Copy then then right click and select Paste. Now right click on that copied file and rename the file to flash.ocx Do not delete the original flash9.ocx file. This has corrected the problem for many others. Since you're using Windows 98 that file is probably located in your C:\Windows\System\Macromed\Flash folder.

The above fix is mentioned at some of the links/threads at the link I provided in my previous reply.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
I did that.
by montreal_1 / January 26, 2007 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: Try This

Hi again and thanks for the suggestion.

After I read about this suggestion earlier,I did that and it didn't help. I even duplicated the Flash9B.OCX and FLASH.OCX in a newly created directory under SYSTEM32. No improvement.

I just finished posting this problem on the ADOBE site forum. With some luck, one of Adobe's analysts may post an answer.

What is clear to me is that if I use the Adobe uninstall tool that they once gave me and I remove all traces of the Macromed directory, and then I visit a website, somehow a fresh copy of FLASH9B.OCX will sneak into newly created directories and my Internet Explorer will quickly crash with the same traditional register dump/pop-up window.

It is impossble for me to keep my Win98SE system 100% free of Flash Player debris.

Since my wife's computer uses the same Win98SE and has no problem with Flash Player 9, I must conclude that there is something broken in my Internet Explorer 6 and/or Win98SE.

I downloaded a fresh copy of Internet Explorer 6.0, and that has not helped.

I ran the Win 98 tool to look for damaged systems files, but that has not helped.

I don't want to rebuild my system from scratch.

I am prepared to (painfully) live in a world without Flash Player, if only I could keep it off my system.

Collapse -
Re: I did that.
by Tufenuf / January 26, 2007 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: I did that.

montreal_1, That shouldn't be installing without some input from you. Open Interenet Explorer>Tools>internet Options>Advanced tab and uncheck "Enable Install On Demand [Internet Explorer]" and "Enable Install On Demand [Other]", click Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
still loads
by montreal_1 / January 26, 2007 3:27 AM PST
In reply to: Re: I did that.

Tufenuf

I did what you said, I unchecked these two boxes, and then I made sure my system was clean of any residue of Flash Player.

Sure enough, after visiting my favorite ski resort web site, it downloaded behind my back the Flash Player module FLASH9B.OCX and proceded to crash as usual.

It would appear that Flash products have downloading priviledges that exceed one's imagination.

Thanks for you suggestion.

Collapse -
Re: still loads
by Tufenuf / January 26, 2007 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: still loads

montreal_1, Go into Internet Options>Security tab and hilite the Internet icon, click the Custom Level button and set the first three Active X items to Prompt, Disable, Disable, click OK/Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
That works.
by montreal_1 / January 26, 2007 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: Re: still loads

Tufenuf,

Thanks for that suggestion. It worked in that I am now seeing the prompt on my screen for permission to download Flash Player, which I refuse.

This at least allows me to procede with my visit to the website without having an iminent crash.

A while back, I had asked Adobe if they could give me a patch so that the permission to download Flash pop-up would never appear (and never get downloaded), but they never answered.

Even my browser pop-up blocker can't hide the Flash Player prompt.

But at least, my Internet Explorer has stopped crashing.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Re: That works.
by Tufenuf / January 26, 2007 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: That works.
Collapse -
Flash Player 8 also fails.
by montreal_1 / January 26, 2007 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: Re: That works.

Tufenuf

I downloaded the Flash Player version 8 using your link and it loaded without incident, although it loaded via install shield which was different from the way Flash 9 loaded.

Version 8 also failed at my test website with module FLASH8B.OCX instead of FLASH9B.OCX.

I hope I can find a version 7, because that is the last version I remember working properly on my system.

Thanks anyway for the link.

Collapse -
Here's a Link for Flash Player 7
by Tufenuf / January 26, 2007 6:32 AM PST
Collapse -
Version 7 works.
by montreal_1 / January 26, 2007 7:02 AM PST

Tufenuf

Just before you posted your link, I managed to download version 7.0.19 and that works perfectly.

I can now get further into sites then before and I am now able to enter sites which were completely blocked to me before.

Your link is to version 7.0.61 which I will try out if my version 7.0.19 has any shortcomings.

Now I must ask Adobe what they changed in version 8 that kills my browser.

Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
Flash9b.ocx
by MS-DaveH / February 2, 2010 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: I did that.

.ocx files are Active X controls. If your browser is set to allow Active X controls, this can happen without your consent. Also, if you clicked the yellow bar to install Active X, this files could get on that way. My suspicion is that you have your browser set to accept Active X

Collapse -
Really?
by Narutoshipudden / August 13, 2007 5:02 PM PDT

So, are you saying to solve this problum..i need to delete my flashplayer?

Collapse -
Troubleshooting Adobe
by MS-DaveH / February 2, 2010 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: Really?

Not every one will need to uninstall flash, although uninstalling it, and downloading Windows updates, especially those for IE, and then re-installing the latest version of Flash Player is usually a good start. This will solve most problems. Adobe has a few other recommendations: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html usually leads to http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408620.html
they hid the user steps at the bottom of that last page for some reason, but this is how they recommend troubleshooting.
As a last resort, you could reset IE, or just disable the add-ons and controls. If you just want to get on the internet, and don't care about the flash content, that is the easy way. IE 7 and 8 also have a no-addons mode which can be very helpful.

Collapse -
adobe has released a flash 9 upgrade that fixes your problem
by ramarc / January 26, 2007 5:38 AM PST
Collapse -
That failed also.
by montreal_1 / January 26, 2007 6:07 AM PST

I took your advice and got the latest un-installer and ran that.

Then I downloaded the latest Flash Player from the Adobe site and it loaded and when the time arrived for it to display the test movie in the display box, module FLASH9B.OCX crashed immediately, bring down the browser a few seconds later after I acknowledged the error by closing the pop-up box.

I remember having the same problem when the module was called FLASH8B.OCX for version 8, so I believe I would have to go back to version 7.

Collapse -
Flash Player 8 and newer appears to need MMX technology.
by montreal_1 / January 29, 2007 11:09 PM PST
In reply to: That failed also.

I believe I have found the explanation which I hope may help others.

Flash Player 7 (which still works on my system) does not specify a minimum hardware requirement, but Flash 8 and newer call for Pentium II 450mhz.

It may not be the number of mhz. that is critical, rather the instruction set which comes with a 450mhz Pentium II processor (MMX and/or SSE).

Like my computer , my wife's computer is also a Pentium II (300mhz). Her computer supports Flash 8, but mine does not. The only difference between her CPU and mine is her's supports MMX (but not SSE) and mine does not support neither MMX nor SSE.

Therefore I conclude that MMX is the essential feature I am missing in order to support Flash 8 and newer.

Collapse -
Almost like comparing apples and oranges.
by montreal_1 / January 30, 2007 2:09 AM PST

It seems that my wife's CPU (which supports FLASH 9) is not a Pentium II like mine. Her's is a Celeron (300 mhz) which supports MMX, whereas mine does not support MMX.

Since our OS is the same, I conclude that having MMX is the key to getting Flash 9 to work.

Collapse -
Flash rhymes with Crash
by smurf2006 / June 9, 2007 4:47 AM PDT

I have a Pentium4 Celeron CPU with Windows XP and flash9b.ocx crashes just as you describe. So its not CPU. I just upgraded to latest driver for my SiS graphics card but that did not help. I can get it to crash every time I bring up the graphics intensive Yahoo Fantasy Baseball Stattracker - it usually takes a minute after it loads until the crash. I am going to try going back to Flash 7 this new version sucks.

Collapse -
Finally out of the dog house.
by montreal_1 / September 25, 2007 8:44 AM PDT

One popular website I often visit added this week a new animated publicity and as soon as it scrolled into view on my page, my IE stopped with an error message concerning the FLASH.OCX module and waited for me to approve the transmission of the subsequent diagnostic message to Microsoft for their analysis.

This new publicity did not like cooperating with my FLASH PLAYER version 7 so I knew my goose was finally cooked.

Fortuanately, I had in storage an old PENTIUM 200 with a P55C mpu and I was able to swap that mpu with the P54C mpu in my main computer. The Intel P55C has built-in MMX instructions but not the P54C. Both chips use the same Socket 7 and supposedly there is a difference in the core voltage, but in my case, I did not require any jumper changes for these specific mpu's and when I did make a jumper change, the transplanted P54C did not work well on the storage computer.

So we have proof positive that Flash version 8 and 9 and onward are dependant on MMX technology being part of the mpu.

Good luck to all of you with P54C's and consider bargain hunting for a P55C before you bother spending money on upgrading to a Pentium 3 or 4. In my case, the solution was painless, although I was tense for a few minutes while I booted up the P55C.

Collapse -
I have Windows ME and I am getting the same crash from Flash
by kimboo7 / March 3, 2007 11:11 AM PST

I'm glad I searched this topic and hopefully I can get some help for my crash caused by flash9b.ocx.

Collapse -
Yes Adobe Flash Player 9 does crash IE6
by nojameson / December 7, 2008 12:44 PM PST

I'd like to know who is responsible for this so I can personally kick their head in.

Collapse -
Flash is SNAFU
by quality2 / July 15, 2009 12:52 PM PDT

For two years I have been unable to load flash player--all versions of 8 and 9--for more than one use. It used to work on my win98 ie6 system. But now it fails to load; fails to clear with the Adobe unloader; leaves bitty files all around; constantly pops up to download the latest version 10 even though Adobe knows damn well that version 10 is NOT appropriate. All web sites seem to flutter, blink and hang while trying to play flash but it will not load.

I tried all of the time consuming suggestions that Adobe provides; waste of time for a program that is pitiful, problematic, and troublesome for MILLIONS like us. It really has some serious deficits and ought to be re-done in a generic fashion without the hundreds of versions and variations that plague the web. Adobe needs help on this crapper.

No Montreal--you are not alone with this piece of xxxx that is causing similar problems all over the world for countless people like us. I don't think Adobe can fix it and it remains a serious problem that cannot be remedied because of its many changes, sensitive nuances, easy breakdowns, and failure of code. Rather amateurish for such a popular program.

Adobe--please sell it to some competent company to fix!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.