Computer Help

Question

Does a RCA f35750st TV needs a converter box?

by renderfun / August 10, 2012 12:25 AM PDT

I have googled till my fingers have bleed without any answers or found a site that has any info. I would appreciate any help I can get, there is no cable service where I live yet, (and looks like months till there is).

I have been told a old computer modem will work as a converter but dont know.

It is a cable ready TV and can connect straight to the cable line without a cable box and work, but with a digital antenna i get nothing. Any help is appreciated. TIA!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does a RCA f35750st TV needs a converter box?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does a RCA f35750st TV needs a converter box?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No manual means I can't be sure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2012 12:49 AM PDT

But given the lack of information I'm going with yes, it needs one.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Proper connection
by Willy / August 10, 2012 2:39 AM PDT

All HD capable means it will accept "air broadcast HD" like your local TV stations and accept them. As for cable, you need cable physical connection unless wifi and is directly supported can do this. You also have to select within the TV the source of any signal so it knows where to go and use it. There, any HD signals or *any lesser signal* is then processed. Any older equipment still needs to be active in that it provides the signal, you just can't grab it or bypass any security in place from protected signal, etc.. It appears you want to grab and not paying for this service now. But, if you're look for local broadcast, then your antenna is the way to go. If your in an area of reduce reception, etc., then you need more than a basic home HD antenna. Like in the old days, a HD ready roof mounted antenna is the way to go and increase reception and "direction" or line of sight of source.

http://www.antennaweb.org/ <---reception needs/antenna

Forget about any cable box converter, yada, yada, that's incorrect info as you're not getting any cable signals because you say there is no cable service in your area. If you can access cable service, then what that service provides for connection is required, check their support website. Same goes for any other signal source, like satellite.

This applies as I stated it. You gave few or little details, it helps to get to a final answer. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
I have never heard of a modem...
by ahtoi / August 10, 2012 5:12 AM PDT

being use as a converter box. Of course no signal with an antenna doesn't mean you need a converter box either. It could be you are in a fringe area. I am in one of those area myself (sorry to say). Also my search for tv info didn't turn up anything either.

Collapse -
Answer
update
by renderfun / August 10, 2012 9:48 AM PDT

I will clarify my post, sorry for being incomplete and unintelligible. Thanks for the quick reply's as well.

I do not have cable service were I live now, it is not available. Prior to moving here my Tv could connect straight to the cable lead and work perfectly, no cable box needed. I would assume that meant it was a digital Tv by taking the digital input from the cable without the need for a converter, or box of any kind. I was pretty sure this was a digital Tv, (till now).

Now I need to get regular free Tv 'antenna' reception, but I get nothing, not even a faint signal, So I have been trying to find out if the Tv needs a digital converter box, or if something else is the problem. I read that you can use an old computer modem to check with (something about it being a converter itself) , but I'm not sure how or if it will cause more problems. The only box here at the local store is a 120.00, with no refunds on electrical equipment.

I haven't been able to find any thing on the internet, does anyone know a way to check?

Collapse -
Check again
by Willy / August 10, 2012 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: update

You need to verify under your TV selection, that you're using "antenna/air" as an input source. You haven't mentioned you did that. If you haven't done anything since the last time you were on cable, then the TV would still be on cable menu selection. The "input" of signal will still be connected at the so-called "cable screw-in connection" and your antenna needs such a physical connection in order to input. That should all be explained in your manual and also the menu selection of input of what is being used. Don't confuse an actual "cable" connection as being cable service. If you have done this right, you're still at the mercy of good air antenna reception. In most cases, you allow it to "auto-tune" to scan for any free air TV available. Once done, it should provide a listing of available CHannels. Again, if all proper the reception still has to be good, for decent viewing. I offered a link that provides what should be available in your viewing area. Input your data so it can provide that and what can be expected. If you're too far away, it will have drop-out or artifact/broken display or display some error(no signal).

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Addenum...read the manual
by Willy / August 11, 2012 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Check again

I got the manual and did a quick look see. I found no mention of HD ready operation. Since, all free or public TV is now HD, you DO NEED A CONVERTER for HD reception. The manual clearly shows a converter connection and then attach to the converter, I suspect from your air antenna connection. It appears this TV was made before HD was build-in, thus the need for converter. You can't use any cable modem or similar you need the TV converter box. Do that and follow all the other posted instructions should get you ready. The link for the manual if you haven't gotten one:

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/owner_manuals/8391/RCA-Direct-View-Digital-27%22-to-40%22-TV-97090025

That should do it, you still need good air antenna, but at least even if no signal you're ready for one.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
See Willy's post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2012 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Check again

GRAB that manual. It wasn't easy to find.

Collapse -
Answer
thanks for the help
by renderfun / August 13, 2012 11:55 AM PDT

I have the manual already but i appreciate the time it took to find it.

The converter connection is for a cable converter box, but the TV will take a straight connection without a converter box and show all cable channels including HD, so it would have to be converting the signal in the Tv.

And i thought the Free Tv was just converted from analog to Digital not into HD, I know some local channels broadcast in HD signal, but the converter boxes only convert the digital signal back to analog for old analog TV, not into HD.

That's the problem I'm running into,, if its a cable ready TV, and can accept a digital signal through the cable line without a box, shouldn't it accept the digital air signal as well? I can't figure out if it should or not. But thanks for all the leg work and research, it's much appreciated.

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2012 1:48 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks for the help

Cable companies may or may not offer clear digital channels. Comcast in Massachusetts where I was required their decoder box, one per TV.
Bob

Collapse -
Let's see if we can make things a bit clearer.
by ahtoi / August 14, 2012 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks for the help

All tv signal in the us are digital now but not all digital signal are in HD. You need an HDtv to receive HD channel. As for "cable ready tv" goes, what does it really mean? I think it's more important to ask is...does the tv have a built-in ATSC tuner, if it does, then it should be able to receive OTA HD channels. They also sell external atsc tuner as well, but here you got to make sure the tv is capable of displaying 720 or higher resolution though. Also take note of what Bob has been saying as well. What is your tv capable of..I don't know.

Collapse -
This may help
by Willy / August 14, 2012 10:38 PM PDT

The link:

http://www.digitalhdsource.com/dihdan.html?gclid=CMCrgYPQ6bECFUff4AodkjYAAQ

The vendor provides all you need for a free TV setup. If not buying, review the info they do offer. As already stated in other posts to you, get a HD/digital converter box, decent antenna and hook-up to plain screw-in connector, setup TV for input(air) and scan for available signals. If signals are broken or weak, then you need a better antenna.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
No converter needed for SOME channels
by mjd420nova / August 15, 2012 9:08 AM PDT

The receiving frequencies for TV Broadcast and the frequencies for "cable ready" are not identical. There are channels at frequencies on a cable that will not be tunable by a unit set for OTA (over the air) reception. Selecting between Cable/air-antenna selects the two different bands of reception. Some limited channels are put on the cable but most extra tier services would require a box. Cable is very good for internet services but I find the programming expensive.

Collapse -
Answer
Not a Digital TV
by spittsp / August 16, 2012 11:35 AM PDT

From what I can tell looking at you manual for your TV, it is not a digital TV so you need a converter Box or cable or satellite service.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.