Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Does a lot of bookmarks slow down Firefox?

by qqqq88 / November 5, 2010 2:19 PM PDT

Does having a lot of bookmarks(a lot of which are in folders on the toolbar) slow down Firefox performance? What do you think?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does a lot of bookmarks slow down Firefox?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does a lot of bookmarks slow down Firefox?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No. Not really
by MDFlax / November 5, 2010 11:00 PM PDT

The Bookmarks file is just an html file and is very small compared to others on your system, in the KB range, not MB or GB. In essence it is just a database, and so it just sits there until you call it up when you list your bookmarks.

Personally I don't have my bookmarks on the toolbar, but only because I prefer my browser window to be uncluttered.

Collapse -
Bookmarks & Firefox
by geomurray / November 19, 2010 9:47 AM PST

The Monzilla/Firefox system will slow your computer down no matter what. I've been working on computers for 35 years (experience counts)and found that the folks that stayed with Internet Explorer had far fewer problems. Bookmarks/Favorites do not in general slow down any system. I have well over 100 in my list and my system runs like a charm...running IE 8 with Windows 7

Collapse -
Please address the question being asked
by petroniusto / November 20, 2010 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: Bookmarks & Firefox

I think the question is do BOOKMARKS slow down FIREFOX. I don't think anyone asked anything about whether Firefox is better or worse than IE. And that question, sir, is open to debate. The people with IE have not had less problems with viruses, trojans or malware that is directed specifically at IE users. Anyway, if you have been working with personal computer performance issues for 35 years, you know that what is at issue is using whatever products you have in an informed fashion and being prepared to make the changes that are required to update, patch, clean and protect your system when it requires these changes. None of this has ANYTHING to do with BOOKMARKS, thank you very much.

Collapse -
Bookmarks & Firefox
by mca824 / September 3, 2012 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Bookmarks & Firefox

I'm sorry but I have to comment on "Monzilla /Firefox system will slow your computer down".First let's start with the correct spelling "Mozilla" Nifty little feature Firefox has correct spelling Happy I've personally used Firefox/Google Chrome/and I.E..and Firefox out performs them in every aspect in every way!From Speed all the way down to it's add-on's Not to mention it's " A Free Open Source Application" ! Now as to the Question "Can bookmarks slow your computer down".Yes they can !Although it's somewhat of a small file your browser read's it every time it opens a window.They don't just sit there they are part of your browser's file that it read's every time you open it!

Collapse -
Bookmarks slow you down?
by Doh_1 / November 19, 2010 11:11 AM PST

No, not unless you use them *smile*. Having a lot of bookmarks will slow you down, even though it doesn't slow your computer down. Unless you're really well organized, you won't be able to find bookmarks very quickly if you have a lot of them. There are various ways to deal with this, but it's always a good idea to get rid of the dead ones, and don't let them accumulate.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.