How To

Question

Does a cable between computers transfer data well?

by mikegockel / March 16, 2013 2:31 AM PDT

Now add some detail so that smart CNET users (like you!) can answer. If you're lucky, a CNET editor might choose your topic for a How To article or video.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Does a cable between computers transfer data well?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Does a cable between computers transfer data well?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: copying
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 2:33 AM PDT

Yes, provided it's the right cable and you use the right software.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
I'd think a gigabit rate would be fast enough.
by wpgwpg / March 16, 2013 2:39 AM PDT

Since you can get up to 10,000,000,000 bits/second (10 GB) transfer rates with a cable connection, I'd think that ought to be fast enough for most things. Of course you could plug in a USB 3 external hard drive and use that to transfer if it's just a one or two time thing.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Transfer
by pgc3 / March 17, 2013 12:48 AM PDT

Ethernet crossover cable for that purpose.

Collapse -
Just a note.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Transfer
Collapse -
Answer
Yup, even faster than USB and reliable too
by Dheeraj_theDj / March 22, 2013 12:28 AM PDT

Yup mikegockel! for transferring large data and save time, i always use cable to connect my friends PC with mine, share the folder i want to transfer. he search the computer connected to network, select mine enter my username/password and there we go at least 10-15 Mbps Speed and even 50 GB data goes well.

Collapse -
10-15Mbps is quite slow.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 22, 2013 8:52 AM PDT

you should be able to get at least 10-11 MBps, perhaps a lot more using a Gigabit connection on both computers, which I believe is at least 8 times faster than you report getting

Mbps = Mega Bits Per Second.

MBps = Mega Bytes Per Second.

There are 8 Bits in 1 Byte

Perhaps that's what you meant

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.