Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Documents coming up blank in Office 2007

by blondeme / March 27, 2008 1:38 PM PDT

I have Windows XP sp2 and recently installed Office 2007.
In 2005 I created word documents regarding family history on a different computer with the previous version of word - v97 - 2003...if i recall correctly...and the previous computer was a win98.
i have had this computer for a couple of years now and i used a USB jump drive to bring the family history information over to this computer back then.
I hadn't looked at this info since prior to this - properties tell me that last access was in December 2006.
I do see though the icons say they are saved as word 97-2003.I have found when either clicking them open from the icon in my documents or opening word first then using open and following the path to the documents that either way doesn't matter the same thing happens.

I open and the pages come up blank on the screen in word 2007.
Although they are blank there is info on the bottom of the screen how many pages are in this document...

I have right clicked the documents icons in My Documents location for properties.
I find that they all have pretty much the same information...all created over a couple of days,(word documents 97 to 2003 this is blue text next to the icon), in attributes i clicked the advanced button and they do say each of them are compressed for reading,(all have doc as they should for file extension,all mention the file sizes of which they vary naturally,this is written in blue text next to the icon)Properties tells me the size and size on disk are different,read only and hidden are not ticked,enccrypt is not ticked - its the only thing not ticked in advanced attributes actually.All documents say the same thing.

but the odd thing is that i did find 2 out of the 15 or so documents opened with no problems and read as they should have been and only one document did open but all it had were numbers line after line on 3 pages starting at number 1 and finishing with number 7 i think.

Does anyone have any ideas or like i am thinking although hopefully not that they may be corrupt. Simply for the fact the info is important and i would have the basics to redo the lot again on paper itself - it is just time consuming to go through and redo if i don't have to.

Thanks for your time and have a great day
blondeme

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Documents coming up blank in Office 2007
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Documents coming up blank in Office 2007
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are the letters white on white?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 8:44 PM PDT

One owner had inadvertently set the font color to white. Press control A to select all the document to see it.

If not, you are experiencing a common issue where we learn about backup.
Bob

Collapse -
Not sure, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 8:47 PM PDT

what happens if you try to open the documents on a computer with an older version of Word?

Do you still have that old machine with the original document and Word 97? If so, does this copy of the document work on Word 97?

Hopefully you have backups of these documents that can be accessed and copied, in case these copies have become corrupt.

Mark

Collapse -
Try...
by Papa Echo / March 28, 2008 8:03 AM PDT

Word 97 and Word 2007 are versions and worlds apart. They are different. Have you tried waiting awhile after opening the documents to let Word 2007 convert them ? Otherwise, try opening the documents with Internet Explorer. Or use an MS Word reader.

Collapse -
Thanks for the replies...
by blondeme / March 28, 2008 1:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Try...

I tried the control plus A unfortunately the screen showed blank.Good tip though.

Also I gave the old computer to another but I remembered the Jump drive possibly still has the info on it as I haven't used it since.Trouble there is where is the thing after a couple of years?I shall have to hunt that down also.

I did leave the word open while I sat thinking after opening although I shall try again.I do use Firefox as my browser but I also have IE on board.
I shall try the Ms word reader now also.
Papa Echo - May I ask how can I use the IE browser to open?

Thank you once again
Blondeme

Collapse -
Open Word with IE..
by Papa Echo / March 28, 2008 4:39 PM PDT

There are two ways.

1. Right click the Word File icon, then choose "Open With", and choose IE from the list.

2. Launch IE, then at the File Menu, choose "Open" and browse to the Word File. You can also try Firefox the same way.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Interesting.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 28, 2008 7:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Open Word with IE..

I tried that with IE 7 and was surprised it opened a word.doc. I suppose I should not have been surprised though, seeing as IE is so integrated into Windows.

FF just calls up Word to open the file.

Another way to open a Word.doc in IE is to drag the word file into an IE window.

Mark

Collapse -
Have tried all the above...
by blondeme / March 29, 2008 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting.

and unfortunately i think they must be corrupt somehow.
None of the suggestions seem to work.
When using the IE file open that seems like a handy tip to remember...although i expected it to be in my browser but both IE and Firefox bring up Word to open the document.The same happened when i dragged the document into the IE window.
Still a very handy tip indeed so thanks Papa.
Having said that i am still finding it odd how every time i have opened up Word with the "blank" page i still see that it tells you along the bottom how many characters then how many pages are in the "empty" document.
Fortunately i do have all the information on paper etc - just have to redo on the computer.
Thanks for trying to help with the great suggestions.
Like R.Proffitt said in the first reply...backup!
thanks guys and have a wonderful day
blondeme

Collapse -
This happened to me 08/22/2009
by rpolanco3 / August 23, 2009 1:15 AM PDT

This odd occurrence happened to me yesterday in the CSUF computer lab. FYI - I do not think that neither the age of the file is relevant, nor how much time has passed since you last opened the document. My doc was written 07/25/09, and it was a w/ a legal forms template. Yeah...important! Luckily, I was simply attempting to access to cut and paste portions of the original 13 page documents. When I opened the document in Word 2007 it came sup blank. Now I am at home, and it still comes up blank page. I know the file is 59kb on the thumb drive. It says the doc is 13 pages. All the other docs on same thumb drive will open - even with the same template. Let me know if you ever found a solution please!

Collapse -
Forgot to mention...
by rpolanco3 / August 23, 2009 1:24 AM PDT

Any chance you had Winfax installed? I keep getting a message about Winfax.

Collapse -
Try this
by dspate / February 17, 2010 7:28 AM PST

Try hitting the print preview button. I am working on a solution for this as well. I did find that I can hit print preview though and see the document. And print it.

Collapse -
Blank page in microsoft word, shows only in print preview
by mrt183 / March 13, 2013 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this

did you ever figure this out??

Collapse -
Word 2007 files saving empty
by pnisbet / April 22, 2013 1:17 AM PDT

It happens to me frequently -I now make sure I first save my work as text files, si I can at least recover them when this happens. Seems to be no reason - though my Word installation keeps trying to reinstall .

Microsoft is total **** - but there is no reasonable alternative so long as all the other idiots keep using it! . MS charges $99 for support that should be free! OpenOffice is great, but I can't use that with my clients - they will think I am a numpty! Which I probably am for using Microsoft! my next compute will be a Mac!

Collapse -
Word installation keeps trying to reinstall .
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2013 1:18 AM PDT

We could discuss that in your new discussion. It's a well known item. Sometimes easy to fix.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.