The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Do you use YouTube?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 13, 2010 8:18 AM PDT
Do you use YouTube?

Yes. all the time. (To host videos or just viewing pleasures?)
Occasionally. (For what?)
No, I use other services. (Why not YouTube?)
No, I don't stream videos. (What's the reason?)
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you use YouTube?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you use YouTube?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Using YouTube?
by jrfoleyjr / August 13, 2010 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Do you use YouTube?

I like to watch replays of the America's Got Talent show, plus some assorted other things, like all the tornado chaser videos. If you want to see something REALLY interesting look up "Vincente the Fox". It is a real live wild red fox on the series of videos. It's amazing the sheer volume and variety of videos on there.

Collapse -
I don't stream videos
by thljcl / August 13, 2010 1:05 PM PDT

I use Orbit Downloader to download videos from YouTube.

Collapse -
Yes I use youtube regularly...
by cooleyedbabe / August 13, 2010 1:07 PM PDT

I watch animal videos, bloopers, commercials gone awry, instructional videos, e.g. dog grooming/training, music and more.

Collapse -
YOU TUBE IS GREAT AT TIMES
by Drboo40 / August 13, 2010 1:57 PM PDT

I guess I've been using You Tube from the time it came online. 90% of the time I have stuttering.I'm in Australia and I find the best streaming is around 2 in the morning. You Tube downloader is great. But there are quite a few out there and this one I have found better than most. You can get it here. http://youtubedownloader.com/. I love watching anything music, and there is so much tech help on there for anything computers. I love it. I found the best way to avoid the crappy stuttering is downloading or pausing and wait till the buffering gets to about midpoint..Cheers

Collapse -
U tube
by tavis54 / August 13, 2010 3:22 PM PDT

I use U tube quite often to listen to talks both academic and social, to listen to music and many other interesting place. It's a nice medium for expression of one's capabilities.

Collapse -
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7810_102-0.html?messageID=335737
by pappadaa / August 13, 2010 7:23 PM PDT

i download videos by orbit software.
sometimes attachments of e-mail,
COME LOADED WITH THEIR IN-BUILT SOFTWARE. So i use that one.
invariably, stuttering & stumbling does occur, many a times with U Tube, while downloading.
since i subscribe to a flat rate package, i do not grumble about it!
Can easily achieve streaming Video,if i pay for that!!
So all said & Done , am Happy with my lot of video viewing.

Collapse -
The "How To" Videos are very helpful
by Tigertame4 / August 13, 2010 9:45 PM PDT

DSL just came to our area about a month ago so my use may change, at the present I have used You Tube to learn how to fix rust holes in my car with tiger hair bondo and how to get the mats out of my English Setter dog. Very Nice. Oh and I like the "Welcome to Canada" beaver video. It cracks me up every time I see it.

Collapse -
Re:Youtube Stopping & Starting
by bobsonathome / August 13, 2010 11:29 PM PDT

Hi All,
I used to have this problem for one reason or another, & was told it was buffering it seemed to have to catch up.
I found a Website that now allows me to link into YouTube(& other sites it's www.ourlocaladvertiser.com) & I haven't had any problems at all infact it's reading this article as reminded me how bad it was!..
Try clicking onto film then waiting a few minutes for the buffer to run first, if it gets stuck pause then rewind and play again.
You should be able to watch it all through after that.
Hope that works!.
This is the first time I've written in & I've got to say what a great site CNet is, Commmunity poll Forum a fantastic idea, keep up the good work!.
Sonia.

Collapse -
Watch Music Videos
by john55440 / August 14, 2010 2:22 AM PDT

I use YouTube to watch music videos, such as AdamLambertVEVO "If I Had You".

No, I do NOT watch Justin Bieber music videos. (grin)

Collapse -
Do you use YouTube
by Mixmaster55 / August 14, 2010 4:46 AM PDT

I use it all the time ( Mostly for music videos ) but also for other videos. My boys also use it on their visits here.

Collapse -
occasionaly
by jorland428 / August 14, 2010 7:04 AM PDT

I like to watch instructional videos. Some are amateurish but no matter how well you do something, you can always learn a few good tricks.

Collapse -
no to facebook
by swamprat / August 14, 2010 9:36 AM PDT

Don't use YOU TUBE primarily because with a 56K v90 modem operating at 20-40 KPS, grass grows faster than videos download. But then I can't be too hard on All Trite & Tired, er AT&T. After all they say they have been working on DSL for 12 years all to to pull a wire 10 miles. Shoot, I even offered to pull the wire for em Told then In 12 years I could walk a wire that far even with COPD. Think they got the message, I doubt it! THE COMPANY THAT INVENTED THE TRANSISTOR CAN'T PULL A WIRE 12 MILES, PATHETIC.

Collapse -
Do you use Youtube?
by DennisPrimm / August 14, 2010 9:51 AM PDT

Yes, I use it all the time, at least 25-50 times a week. Mostly music videos, but instructional and documentary articles too (i.e. Bob Lazar).
Thank you for the inquiry!

Sincerely,

Dennis

Collapse -
YouTube opera no stuttering
by jolysmoke / August 14, 2010 8:34 PM PDT

I regularly use YouTube to listen to great opera performances. I have never noticed any stuttering or delays with the service. And any such would ruin the performance. I am not however in America but in Central Europe with a major European ISP. Close to but not in a big city. But then perhaps opera is a minority taste, not something the school kids listen to. Also I have the advantage of an Apple with fast Intel processors in a recent MBPro.

Collapse -
youtube
by dantejones1 / August 23, 2010 9:10 PM PDT

I use YouTube all the time, actually I don't know what I would do on the internet if there wasn't youtube. Because I love listening to music and on YouTube there is an enormous amount of music. Heaven for music fans.

Collapse -
Can not use youtube
by tibettour / September 15, 2010 12:21 AM PDT
In reply to: youtube

Can not use youtube in China, very sorry
For example, in reference to video www.tibettour.us, can not see

Collapse -
YouTube is a Great Source
by l8rb / August 15, 2010 12:55 PM PDT

Especially if you like free music...almost anything can now be found and downloaded from them -- even in multiple versions! My MP3 collection really loves it!

Collapse -
Occasionally, (for what?)
by faithag / August 17, 2010 4:55 AM PDT

I use YouTube videos for sermon illustrations for my pastor. We need to download them to another site that converts them to a form we can insert into our Easy Worship software to be played during the sermon.

Collapse -
Yes, I use it a lot!
by Jamfan55 / August 17, 2010 5:59 AM PDT

My connection is much too slow to watch videos, but sometimes I'll download videos (using Any Video Converter), and I also have 4 channels of my own live videos of bands; 2 are tribute channels, and the other 2 are videos I've taken myself of local and Name bands:
www.youtube.com/ARSLive (Atlanta Rhythm Section)
www.youtube.com/3dogslive (Three Dog Night)
www.youtube.com/TheJay55
www.youtube.com/jamfan55

Collapse -
You Tube
by Maceman69 / August 17, 2010 7:21 PM PDT

I use it every now and then to watch music videos.

Maceman

Collapse -
Yes. all the time.
by stephentech / September 13, 2010 7:23 PM PDT

Yes. all the time.
I visit YouTube to find some interesting videos, and post some new information relevant to Youtube in my blog.

Collapse -
DO you use YouTube?
by nuesha / September 16, 2010 10:39 PM PDT

yes i am.. for my posting videos.. Grin

Collapse -
ADDICT here
by disney_vacations / October 13, 2010 6:05 AM PDT

OMG I don't know if I could live without YouTube! I use it for both hosting videos and viewing.

Collapse -
Waste of time
by The ancient one / October 25, 2010 9:42 AM PDT

I don't watch any videos including TV. I wish things were like they used to be on the internet where one could get text only.

Collapse -
I DO NOT USE YOU TUBE AT ALL
by pappadaa / October 25, 2010 6:34 PM PDT

1]ON MY COMPAQ PRESARIO CQ40 LAPTOP,O.S's::VISTA &
WINDOWS7 R.C.,
I HAVE 3GB RAM,CAN'T COPE WITH STREAMING VIDEO.
VIDEO FUNCTIONS HALTINGLY.
2]I AM A YOUNG MAN OF 66YRS.6MONTHS.
IF YOU CAN SUGGEST ME AS TO HOW I CAN MANOUVRE TO
GET STREAMING VIDEO AT BREAK NECK SPEED,
3]I DON'T MIND ADOPTING "YOU TUBE"&/OR OPTION.
4]I MAY ALSO TRY CHIP IN MY BRAIN OPTION, SO
5]I CAN HAVE DIRECT I/O AUDIO+VIDEO & WHAT HAVE YOU??
6]....EAGERLY &....GINGERLY AWAITING YOUR REPLY ! ! !

Collapse -
all the time
by hainguyen178 / December 5, 2012 11:45 AM PST

I use Youtube every day for watching videos. But sometimes Videos on youtube are low quality.

Collapse -
I use youtube frequently
by tgreen3319 / February 26, 2013 3:29 AM PST

If I had to guess, I'd say about one-third of the time I'm on the internet is spent in youtube. Not only do I host some of my own videos (ASMR and relaxation videos) I also watch others' ASMR videos, as well as find new music, research some topic, or just pass time watching idiotically hilarious video. I see youtube as a good place to connect with others in and show off jst how creative you can be. I have watched many little "shows" which would have never made it to the Television, but through the magic of youtube, have gotten their dream out to people for their enjoyment and entertainment. In fact, over the last two years, I have watched more youtube videos than actual televison. Sure there are stupid and flat out idiotic videos on youtube, but at least I don't have to sit through them to get to what I want to watch.

Collapse -
YES
by ela1n3ko / April 1, 2015 7:52 AM PDT

Yes, I use YouTube almost everyday. I feel like there are more vloggers, so that is what I usually watch. I like to see people creating healthy, quick lunch, and make up tutorials.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.