Networking & Wireless forum

Resolved Question

Do you use Clear Wireless Internet? I need reviews.

by donaldg101 / April 20, 2012 4:00 PM PDT
I just noticed an ad on TV for Clear and decided to check it out. Now I have Cox for everything except iPhone using AT&T. All services I have are great, that I pay $300 per month even without any premium channels, such at HBO, on the cable TV.

So I am always looking for ways to reduce my bill. One place to start is on the Internet. I need to know how their home Internet standsup to my current Cox Internet.

I am in the Washington, DC area and Clear says there is coverage for Internet.

Wherever you are, please tell me what you think of your Internet service with Clear.

donaldg101 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you use Clear Wireless Internet? I need reviews.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you use Clear Wireless Internet? I need reviews.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by donaldg101

Collapse -
Don't do it
by jcpthree / September 10, 2012 11:45 PM PDT

We moved into a new house recently and only had Clear as an internet option. Their map showed that we had perfect coverage and their sales people told me it was faster than Cable. I was sold.

I have NEVER had slower internet service...even with dial up. They suggest moving the modem all around the house (even the attic). After spending 6 weeks trying to get it to work (it wouldn't even download a YouTube video) ATT was available on our section of the neighborhood. What a difference a wire makes.

Anyway, here's how CLEAR gets you. They know their service sucks so they sell you the modem instead of rent it. That way when you cancel quickly (like I did), they won't refund the upfront modem price. Very smart strategy when you know you won't keep customers.

Whatever you do, don't use CLEAR. You will be sadly disappointed!!

Collapse -
Great service
by Eljaimemh / September 11, 2012 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't do it

I don't know what everybody is talking about it works great for me and I use it for over 3 months

Collapse -
by Pablo Diego / October 18, 2012 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Great service

I haven't had problems with it, either. I've had the service since January 2011.

Collapse -
by RUKidding319 / March 6, 2013 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: Agree

So you didn't try downloading a Netflix or viewing a clip of the Olympics? I did a Clear vs AT&T challange. Clear lost bad. Clear's connecting is super you will always connect. But the downloading is AWFUL. By the way the NetFlix movie never downloaded using Clear. An yes I purchased the 50$ a month plan. I am about to drop down to the lower end.

Collapse -
I started this thread way back when
by donaldg101 / November 1, 2012 3:34 PM PDT

As you might expect, I did not try Clear where I was in Northern Virginia. In fact I moved to Las Vegas, NV. and stayed with Cox. They gave me the new user rate for cable and phone and switch me to their Las Vegas Internet office. I still pay too much.I might cut back on my iPhone plan with At&T as my data usage is not high, and my the plan gives me more than needed. The Cox phone is the least expensive part of this. Unfortunately, bought a Uniden corded phone with two extra portable handsets. It's an awful phone. Now it's clear why it was on sale at Best Buy! Sad
I'll research anything new and try to sell the Uniden.
Cox is top notch for cable and Internet, but its also time for a big new TV.
Thanks everyone and hope we did not put Clear out of business with these reviews.

Collapse -
Home phone and home phone service
by Pablo Diego / January 9, 2013 3:12 PM PST

Hi! I still have the service without any problems. I wish I worked for the company because I'd try to resolve other people's problems

I have a suggestion for home phone service--not sure what it would do for your bundle, Straight Talk Home Phone is pretty good. I've tried it for three months--it's a little over $16 with taxes per month. You can view some reviews on YouTube. I also liked magic jack, too.

As for home phone, I bought mine off Amazon (you can find it other places, too) which is AT&T home phone model EL52100, it has 4 out of 5 stars on Staple and Amazon reviews. I got my for $19.99, but see it's going for a little more. I love the speaker phone and volume control---much louder than Uniden. It's Energy Star, too.

Collapse -
me too
by memawof3 / December 12, 2012 7:06 PM PST

worked ok in the winter, but when the trees between me and their leafed out it was baaaad! internet dropping frequently, same thing with land line. bottom line steer "clear" Wink

Collapse -
I couldn't agree more
by djrider74 / January 9, 2013 12:37 PM PST

It's the worst service I ever had. Funny thing, I used to pay for the slower speed, when they still sold it, but I decided to pay for the fast speed. Well, when I changed plans, they we were no longer "renting" the modem, and made us buy it outright for $50 after we already payed into it. 3 weeks after we payed for the upgrade, they throttled our service, and only offer one speed. Total rip!

Collapse -
Just got Clear. Wish I hadn't
by tomascg / February 24, 2013 9:31 AM PST

I was disappointed with my cable internet provider for raising rates and charging rental fees. I thought Clear was worth a try. Not so. I live less than a block from a tower so I thought the speed would be consistent. I just set up the device and checked the performance. I clocked the following speeds:
4.5Mbps, 2.43Mbps, 2.12Mbps, 0.48Mbps, 2.54Mbps.
The speed was checked approximately every 5 minutes for 20 minutes. Terrible performance. I guess I better start getting used to the gouging from my cable company. Oh, BTW, I live in Clearwater, Florida.

Collapse -
FL best choices
by hanalin2 / March 7, 2013 2:37 AM PST

Ha ha I was just looking randomly for a good internet service and just happened upon your post. I live in Clearwater too and it seems like every service for internet here is so much more expensive. What service would you recommend, considering value, cost, and quality? I would prefer a non-bundle service and only really want internet, but it seems the bundles are just about the same price so I'm OK with a bundle I guess, just need to know what company to go with. Thanks!

Collapse -
Have you tried Earthlink?
by jbalboa / March 9, 2013 8:14 AM PST
In reply to: FL best choices

I know Earthlink re-sells broadband from your local cable company, but for some reason, their prices are much better than straight from the cable company.

Give them a try.

Collapse -
Clear started well but ended badly
by adb1779 / March 3, 2013 12:56 AM PST

I started with Clear about four to six weeks ago (1/21/2013). It was OK at first in fact I posted a positive review. I was getting 1 to 3 Mbps down and usually 1Mbps up. I got phonePower and started to use Voip on Clear. I have four towers around me from 3/4 miles to 1.5 miles.

The Clear map said I was good. At first I was able to position the Clear hub so as to select one of three of the four towers in my area. Over the following weeks I was only able to connect to one tower. As I located the towers it became obvious that the reason I was connecting to it was due to it's extreme height compared to the other towers which were much closer to me and gave better service.

Clear hubs connect to the tower with the strongest signal. Since the Clear equipment was 80 feet above the tree line on top of a water tower located on a high ridge south of me I had virtual line of sight to this tower 1.5 miles away. You may think "OK your all set". Well not so fast. Clears towers are dump. That is they do not load balance by rejecting hub connection requests even when they are overloaded. Even when there is a tower closer to me with no load that I could connect to and get OK service due to the hills in my area I get the strongest signal from the furthest tower.

The real problem is this tower is picking up everybody for miles around. It keeps on accepting connection requests event though these connections bring it to it's knees. I was getting 0.80 Mbps down and 0.11Mbps up. Now I had great signal strength with four and five lights but the tower was overloaded so I got awful performance.

I tried an external 21db gain antenna, disconnected the internal antenna and pointed the external antenna to the towers near me. It still connected to the bad tower. The strongest signal wins much to the demise of the entire system.

I spent two to three hours with a clear tech going through tedious steps on my laptop to record and verify my slow speeds and connection issues. The case team never contacted me. The next day I spent all evening four hours or more with a Clear tech trying to resolve these issues, nothing changed.

Clear has a fundamental flaw in it's design in that it cannot load balance clients between different towers in the same area. I was told there is an Engineering mode in the hub that would allow you to designate your preferred tower but Clear's level 1 team said they did not know how to access it.

All told I probably put close to 15 hours into trying to get this to work but all my efforts failed due to a poorly designed and managed network of towers.

Thankfully I found a sale on FIOS internet and phone, what a relief. 15Mbps down and 5Mbps up for 54.99. With tax tags and dealer prep it comes in at 75.00. I can't believe all the work I went through and still could not make Clear work.

The Clear Coverage Map is meaningless because it does not show you elevation and load issues. A strong signal is also meaningless because it says nothing about the data load on the tower or what your speed will be once connected

Beware and save your self a lot of trouble.

I live in Abington PA 19001, 10 miles north of center city Philly.

Oh, and as for Voice Over IP for phone with Clear, Not in your sweetest dreams!!!

Collapse -
by charelc / March 6, 2013 9:41 AM PST

Uhhhhhh! I WISH WISH WISH I would have seen this sooner! I'm in Abington as well. Signed up for service 2/1/13. First 3 weeks it was AWESOME. For the last three weeks, the service has been TERRIBLE. It is SO slow. Seriously, my mom's crappy internet is much faster than this. I'm looking for other providers as we speak. Sad

Collapse -
It's not the towers.
by jbalboa / March 9, 2013 8:18 AM PST

They just throttle your speed after you exceed a certain limit. Some people don't stream videos nor movies, so they never get throttled, but most of us are streamers, so we are better off away from companies that throttle you.

Collapse -
cellular broadband
by bill012 / April 21, 2012 11:08 PM PDT

You can't even think to compare cabled internet with wireless. Clear and other wireless carriers trying to sell to home broadband market are not after the power users. They can compete very well with the low end DSL offerings or for people who can't get a wired connections. The technology will never let them truly compete with some of the high end cable systems that can push 50m/sec or more.

A comment on Clear in general is that it works very well if you are in their 4G coverage area. It is also very cost effective as long as you do not exceed the caps. If you do not meet both those you most likely will not be happy with their service.

In your case I would add a tether plan to your iphone account from ATT and see how well it works. ATT has much larger high speed coverage than Clear. If you had to buy ATT data coverage it is more expensive than Clear but just adding the tethering option most likely will be cheaper.. all depends what you currently have.

I hope you are not paying for a phone in your cox bundle, you have a cell phone and you can get very cheap Voip solutions from many providers

Collapse -
Clear Internet
by EducatedConsumer10000 / April 26, 2012 4:18 PM PDT

I second "bill012". Clear is ok (and I mean just "ok") for very casual internet users. If you are within their 4G service areas, the quality and speed of the connection is just fine for general surfing and internet. However, if you like to stream audio and video, or if you are a Youtube (or similar) fan, Clear is not your best bet (for reasons offered by "bill012"). More importantly, Clear throttles users whom they deem as using an excessive amount of bandwidth. Their "Unlimited" plan is NOT unlimited. For example, the service worked flawlessly for the first two months. Usually, I got a 3-20 mbs down, and used approximately 40-50 GB per month. Clearly (no pun) 40-50 GB is not excessive use by todays standards. However, Clear says it is. They throttled my service down to an unuseable .5 mbs. Unacceptable. Don't get Clear!!!

Collapse -
I think this depends on your situation
by Angelca24 / April 27, 2012 6:56 PM PDT

. If you have only one computer, and you just use it strictly at home, then the answer is a resounding "no". Clear wireless internet is not going to be any faster for you, and you really wont benefit from WIMAX technology in any way.

Collapse -
I use WiMax with my Sprint EVO 3D when out and about and it
by tsecreto / November 4, 2012 4:54 AM PST

I do not use the internet a lot when out and no WiFi available BUT if I do and connect with Sprint's 4G the speed is really fast. Since i have been in I.T. along time I usually have a good understanding of what I am using and the Speed Test will give me 10-15 MBPS down and 3-4 up which is about what I get on my WiFi.
I think this is probably because I am in a very good location for the service ZC 33462 but until LTE is out in my location my EVO 3D 4G phone is hard to match and the radios are obviously very quick.

Not sure that I would chance and switch from my Comcast internet which is very fast even with my Dicoss 2.0 modem (Cisco CM100). all of my devices are on wireless using the LinkSys/Cisco E2500 dual band router.

Hope this helps someone. BTW: I have not used it but my Lenovo laptop v560 has WiMax built in and I did test it when I first got it and all went well.

Collapse -
Worst Performance AND Worst Customer Satisfaction I've Had
by ekond / May 8, 2012 3:42 AM PDT

I pay for 7mb down, and average between 0.3 and 0.5. One time I saw it get all the way up to 1.00 flat. Forget gaming and the like, I can't reliably stream low res video. Thinking about calling customer service? I recommend instead spending 30-45 minutes drinking an entire bottle of whiskey then finding a stranger to talk to in the street. This will approximately duplicate the experience of sitting around for the better part of an hour and then chatting with some one you could swear isn't speaking english. After you're asked to reset your modem/router, you'll find that there is no change in your connection speed, so you'll be asked to wait while the rep "does something" on his end. Hold for 5 more minutes, then reset your modem/router again. When this 60-90 minute song and dance is all finished and you still find yourself with way less than 10% of what you're paying for, you'll be told that you're in a "high-service area" and speeds will be "slower at peak usage times." This will be the end of the phone call. Their script pretty obviously dictates to say these things when they have nothing else to offer, and then you'll actually get hung up on. If you keep pressing them that this doesn't help you and you don't know what to do from here, they'll repeatedly stammer about high-service areas and peak usage and really just hang up.

Don't get Clear.

If you won't heed that advice, at the very least don't buy any of their devices. I realize it's way more cost-effective to buy rather than to lease them, but that's how they can be sure you buy a piece of garbage and are stuck with it.

Collapse -
by sillyrere / October 13, 2012 11:49 AM PDT

You described my experience to a tee! I live 1 block away from from a tower (her words not mine) and I have 5 bars on my modem I should be getting GREAT service but it takes 5 minutes for any webpage to be displayed. The representative told me that A) a building might be getting in the way of my service B) I should make sure to remove all electronic devices from the room that the modem is in.
SUPER helpful and it only took her an hour and a half to come up with such GENIUS advice.

Collapse -
(NT) Wow its like dejavu this is exactually what happend to me !
by HVACGIRL94 / October 30, 2012 3:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Lol Clear
by garydonpowel / December 12, 2012 6:03 PM PST

Yep! I was suckered into to their scam and bought 2 modems. Just call me ******* with a capital D. Had them for over 3 years hoping one day they would improve their service with faster speeds so that I could watch a 5 minute YouTube video without having to stop and load the buffer every minute. They did improve a little, very little, but not much. I finally got cancelled, Thank God, for overdata usage, (they did me a favor) no more $80 dollars a month for a slow service, and Usually, to get any good download speed, I would use it in the hours between midnight and 6am in the morning, when most normal people are sleeping, who have jobs, in which Im disabled, and durring those times, I could get some decent download speed. But as for the bottle of whiskey, I agree! and go ahead and get you some downers, to help calm your nerves, because you will be frustrated to the max, and need some chemical help. I might even suggest, if you are going to get "Clear" or have "Clear", go ahead and move to Colorado somewhere in the mountains, and grow you some herb, where it is legal now, and that, coupled with that bottle of whiskey, may help you contend with "Clears" service. Clear reminds me of "Dial-Up", when I first had internet. Something like 50-100kbps download speed, or so. If anyone does take the "Moving to Colorado" option, you will probably be better off making a campfire at your place, and sending smoke signals! That would be faster and more "Clearer".

Collapse -
Incredibly unreliable service. terrible customer service
by bekind_rewind / May 23, 2012 7:46 AM PDT

We have used Clear for almost a year due to lack of options in our area. We paid 45 a month and were promised high speed internet service. The customer service rep even promised that I would be able to stream videos via netflix, after specifically telling him that was the main reason we needed their service. It was a challenge to watch videos at certain times of day/ week (nights and weekends, presumably when lots of other ppl were using it)

In addition, I had to call three times in order to actually cancel the service after being charged not once BUT TWICE after we had tried to cancel our service. I am considering contacting the better business bureau due to my complete outrage in the way they handled this situation.

In short: clear isn't worth it.

Collapse -
by milanajon / June 3, 2012 10:41 PM PDT

I use clear one month in nyc in manhettan in midtown and service is awful....after two hours the modem gets hot...and every 45 mints you should restart the modem....hate hate hate clear!!!! even when I called to the customer service first time they said that the modem is ok and just advice to me restart the modem every time when i dont have internet...i change ohe hundred times the place of modem(how they advice to me) and you know its not fun every time restart this ******* stupid modem!!!!!! the second time when i called to customer service they said the same and ask me to wait them cause they wanna check something...and I wait in line 50 mints!!!! and after 50 mints they just hung up!!!!!!! service is awful now I am looking some thing better!!!! I advice to you never never never choose this stupid wireless!!!

Collapse -
don't do it!
by tiggertiffin87 / June 5, 2012 7:15 AM PDT

When I moved in with my roommate he had Clear...and all I could do was check email and hit facebook. I work from home and connecting via vpn was a joke, and forget watching videos. Less than a month moving in, I got the roommate to switch to broadband.

Clear would only work for those who still have dial-up connections and only use the internet for research and email and nothing more.

Collapse -
Had Clear for over a year.
by oxfordcfn / June 28, 2012 5:42 AM PDT

Bought a house in May of 2011 was excited to sign up with Clear. Bought all my equipment and was ready to go. First time I used it was to watch a movie with NetFlix. Spent more time buffing than actual play time. Moved box into every room even ended up putting it on top of the roof. Still very poor conection. Went to Time Warner and went to cancel Clear. Got the run around it would cost $200 to cancel blah, blah, blah, but they suggested we place the account on hold for 6 month and pay just $20 then we could cancel. We make a long story short I missed the month I was supposed to cancel and it ended up costing me $129 to cancel anyway. I spent over 30 minutes on the line telling the guy at Clear no I don't want that, No I am not interested in that offer, No I don't take it for a discount. I mean it was worst than divorce court. I do not recommned Clear at all. I'd rather use dial up.

Collapse -
Ok service
by Pablo Diego / July 1, 2012 4:07 PM PDT

Hi! I've had them since January 2011. The price is approximately $53 per month (after the taxes). I get approximately 5 to 10 MB/sec download speeds, and almost 1MB/sec upload speeds.

I am a moderate user (I watch tons of youtube videos, email, download songs and videos, Facebook, etc). There are three 4G towers by my house, so I haven't had too many problems. If the 4G towers malfunction (no electric) it can make your service go down.

I would go to and make sure you have 4G network near your house. Also, if you are a moderate user, you might have some use for their plan.

Collapse -
do not use clear!!!
by mjwangen / July 2, 2012 4:01 AM PDT

NO STARS! I would advise anyone looking into clear Internet to run the other way! I have had the worse experience I have ever encountered with a business and their customer service and the scam in selling their services. Simply put they fraudulent and will do anything to get your money.

I was sold clear Internet services through a mall kiosk. They said it was simple, $40/month and you just plug it in. I went home, it was great it worked for about 3 months. Slowly the signal got weaker and weaker. Pretty soon I was having a hard time staying connected long enough to get anything accomplished. This is where things went south.

Customer service doesn't exist with this company. They want you to resolve all problems over the Internet and automated voice messages on the phone. I started a "chat" with the on-line tech person. Now, when you are having issues with your Internet service, maintaining a connection long enough with a tech person on-line, proves to be challenging. I ended up on the phone with them simultaneously trying to trouble shoot. (Expect a 10-20 minute wait each time to call the customer service line.) Then expect to get someone who does not speak English and will be difficult to understand. After hours spent with the tech person who had exhausted all options, he went back to the basics, look at my address said, I'm sorry, we don't even offer service in your area. He transfered me to someone to cancel my Internet services. The next person I spoke to was the only one I have ever encountered that spoke English and made any type of apology and recognition for the wrong doing of selling service to someone outside of their coverage area. He said he would get me a refund for the months where he saw the usage drop off from not being able to maintain a connection.

Since that conversation took place, I have spent several more hours over a couple weeks time, trying to get things resolved. In order to request a refund, they would need to submit a "ticket" to the financial department. They would not let you speak to anyone higher up to get help. They would not let you explain your situation to the financial dept. They would write in their own words, what you were asking for. I went through this process 3 times before finally giving up. Each time I made an attempt with the customer service, I would need to go through the automated menu of options and was then put on hold for 10-20 minutes before getting to a live person. I would then need to explain the situation, all over again even though they apparently put notes in my account.

Needless to say, they never did refund my money. They said because there was some usage, I would be charged for that month's service plan. I explained that the only usage time was when I would try to connect to the Internet. Those seconds added up to minutes and it didn't matter that there was no service in my area.

Now, a full year later, I received a letter in the mail that this company, clear wireless, has turned me into collections for a fee of $40. I was infuriated after all the time I spent going through this with them last year and knowing what nightmare lies ahead of me to try to clear this situation up.

I again made that dreadful call to so-called customer service. I was on hold again for 10 minutes. I explained the situation to the person and she said I would need to speak to the collections department but they didn't open until 11 am. I would need to call back, once again.

I called back and asked to speak to the collections dept. They made repeat the whole situation, yet again, even though there was supposed to be "notes" in my account.The man I talked to apologized for me be frustrated but said I had to pay the $40 to clear things up with collections. There was nothing I could do about it. Even after I explained the service was canceled, by them, for misleading me into signing a contract for Internet service which they did not provide in my area. He said he understood that it is not provided in my area but I had signed up for it so I need to pay the "re-stocking fee" for canceling my service. After several minutes of going around and around with him. I asked him numerous amounts of times to speak to someone of higher authority that could take care of this. All he said is that he could submit a "ticket" for my request.

They are going to ruin my clean credit with the collections agency all for $40 for a re-stocking fee for a service that they fraudulently sold to me. The price, too good be be true, indeed!

Collapse -
Can you hear me now?
by garydonpowel / December 12, 2012 6:20 PM PST
In reply to: do not use clear!!!

Yep! I just ended a 3 year relationship with the "Clear-Con-Artists" Go to the Better Business Bureau site and FCC site and file complaints, that's what I did. Maybe if they get enough complaints, the FCC will do something about them, like sue them and shut them down. They are a "Racket from Hell".

Collapse -
Disorganized company,conflicting messages, subpar service
by Fiddlerphil / July 3, 2012 4:28 AM PDT

Our house is in the strongest 4g coverage area on the Clear coverage map, but due to a tall apartment building between us and the nearest tower, the signal is actually too weak to support internet connection. We canceled the service within the trial period and received a refund for the service price, but still needed a refund for the device. As per one part of the website, and one service representative on the phone, we took the device to the Clear retail outlet where we had purchased it, along with the receipt. At the store, the employee informed us that we had to request a shipping label and mail it back. To be sure, we called Clear again and they said, yes, request the shipping label but then take it to the store and they will send it back. We followed these instructions, but again at the store the employee said, no, you have to mail it back to the company, we don't do that. So, before doing so, we called Clear again and received confirmation that this was indeed what we had to do. We mailed the device back with the receipt. Two weeks later, we received an email that said they had received the device, and, providing we had fulfilled the requirements, we should have a refund within 4 weeks. Three weeks later we received an email that explicitly stated that we had fulfilled each of the return requirements and a refund would be credited to the card on file within 7 days, but we should allow an additional 7 days for our bank to process it. We waited 14 business days, and it had not arrived so we called Clear. The first representative asked how much we had paid for the device and said he would "put it in as a refund". When we said, "So the email was wrong?" He said, "Maybe it just didn't get processed as a refund yet." This was disheartening, considering we had returned the device almost two months before and received multiple emails assuring us of a refund. The representative could see that we had received the email, but didn't seem to be able to do anything more about it. He gave us a ticket number and said someone would call in 3-5 days to give us more information. This call came and the representative said he needed to confirm our address so he could send us a prepaid Visa card. This was not what was promised in the emails we received so we refused, asking to have the money credited to our account. I have worked in customer service for a few years, and I have seen that these prepaid cards are notoriously fickle instruments, often causing frustration and annoyance at the cash register. Aside from that, mailing the card was going to take another month or so, and we had already been told the money should be back in our account. After some discussion, this representative determined he could not help and said he would let the accounts payable department know and someone else would call us. The third call came, and this time the representative seemed to know well what he was talking about. He apologized repeatedly for the inconvenience, but still said he was going to mail a prepaid visa card. Through our discussion, we got a clearer picture of how the Clear outlet, the warehouse, and the accounts department all generally don't communicate with each other. The system is dysfunctional in that none of them really knows what the other is doing or is supposed to do. When I referenced the email saying the money should already be in our account, he could see that we received an email but said he could not see that part of the email. However, if I faxed him the email, perhaps he could move the process along. I pointed out that faxing an email doesn't make sense, and he said it had to do with a policy about copies of things. So, after confirming and acknowledging that faxing an email, rather than forwarding it, is backwards and illogical, I agreed to do it. He said that he would call back upon receiving the fax. I faxed it immediately after hanging up yesterday, and have not yet received a call back.
This whole experience has been, and continues to be, frustrating and disappointing as we have not received a refund and are well past the original promise of 4 weeks, let alone the explicit recent notice of 7 days. It is frustrating that no representative seems to be able to do anything to help solve the issue; they can only restart processes from the beginning. Additionally, it is annoying that representatives, apart from the supervisor I recently spoke with, seem instructed not to behave like humans, but rather like robots who must read off a screen rather than engage naturally in conversation. This does nothing to encourage customers or make them feel heard. Rather, it can frustrate and alienate them into becoming angry, even the calmest of customers, leading to entirely avoidable verbal conflict.
Finally, this experience has been particularly aggravating because we did everything in our power to follow the correct process. We took no instruction at face value, whether from a retail outlet representative, phone representative, or website, but checked and double-checked to make sure everything was in order. Even going above and beyond the responsibilities of a conscious customer, engaging courteously with staff, and receiving confirmation of doing everything right, we still have not received our refund. Clear has fallen disappointingly short on expeditiousness and shirked its promises, leaving once enthusiastic customers aggravated, disgruntled, and disillusioned.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.