Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Do you trust CNET?

by DH1 / May 12, 2007 8:34 AM PDT

Don't get me wrong here: I LOVE CNET! I come here with questions. I come here for answers. I come here for reviews. I come here to learn. And I come here just for fun.

My mail box is never empty as I subscribe to CNET'S "Weekend Hit List," "Membership," "Forums," and "AnchorDesk."

For many years I subscribed to Consumer Reports. Consumer Reports is, theoretically, a non-biased review of products. Consumer Reports accepts no advertising.

The questions are: do you trust CNET? Is CNET unbiased? Does CNET derive its revenue from advertising? And, specifically, do you trust CNET's product reviews?

I'll be watching ... and will be most interested to discover a) if this post actually makes it onto the CNET boards, b) how many will reply and (if enough of you do reply), c) if this question will appear on CNET's Weekend Hit List's "Top 10 Community Discussions."

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you trust CNET?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you trust CNET?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For the most part, yes...
by John.Wilkinson / May 12, 2007 1:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Do you trust CNET?

I trust Cnet for the most part, but acknowledge that, like with all companies, there will be lapses. Every so often a malware-infected program will make its way onto, a post be wrongfully deleted, or a review overlook some aspect of the product. In addition, each individual has his/her own set of criteria and personal interests, which affect the focus and overall score to a certain degree. That's why I always look at the information and make my own judgment instead of simply relying on what others tell me. However, I don't consider Cnet to be any less accurate or forthright than Consumer Reports or those grading the nation's SATs. They are a valuable resource, one which I have come to utilize more often.

As to the rest:
* Yes, Cnet receives a good portion of its revenue from advertising, and these forums would not be here without it. However, I've never seen a review, recommendation, etc. given or skewed as a result of advertising agreements.
* Yes, I suppose it did make it onto the boards. That or I'm dreaming. Happy
* I doubt many will reply given the limited traffic in this forum.

On a side note, Consumer Reports charges for most of their information and advertises their own publications. Ever wonder if they've over-hyped their subscriptions to make a little extra revenue? Ever chosen products to catch the reader's attention and not just be fair and equal with their product selections? Ever withheld critical information in an effort to get you to buy a subscription? I don't know, but while you're on the subject...

Collapse -
Also as John stated
by PudgyOne / May 12, 2007 7:36 PM PDT

I trust CNET for the most part.

I trust the people, here at CNET forum.

I don't agree with the downloads they offer. I don't like that they offer Limewire, then we have to tell others how to remove it and clean out their computers.

I feel that the downloads should be checked into. I know they make money from these downloads.

I also would like to see CNET use their own images. The images at the top of the Forum(s) are block with adblock using Mozilla Firefox and/or also blocked using a hosts file9s0 because ad doubleclick is one of them. The advertisers are NOT getting their ads shown because of the ad blocking software.

Collapse -
To add....
by Angeline Booher / May 12, 2007 11:36 PM PDT

When I was in the market for a digital camera, a community member recommended one. So I checked the CNet review, and Consumer Reports, both of which rated it well. I bought the camera, and have been pleased with it.

I refer to Consumer Reports before buying a lot of stuff. However, they recently admitted an error in reviewing (I think a child car seat). But they quickly admitted their mistake. That builds trust for me.

I see in the forums that members are also quick to point out "bad advice". And I have seen them complain about some offerings from Downloads. So there are many "team members" here.

The same question could be asked about help-oriented services, such as tech support for the electronics we buy, from TVs to computers. The same for auto mechanics, delivery services, and even our health care providers. IMO, when push comes to shove, it behooves us all to educate ourselves as best we can in order to make the best judgements we can.

That being said, I admit that I have made my share of errors in judgement, so I can't always trust myself. Happy

Thank you for your nice comments about our community!

Collapse -
Just now reading your post DH1.
by John Robie / May 22, 2007 2:34 AM PDT

Yes I trust CNet and they are mostly unbiased although I have observed what can be called being a little biased IMO in some of their reviews, sometimes in leaving out a key element or so. I also agree with the excellent comments made by JW, Pudgy, and Angeline.

Being a posting member for the last 7+ years, I have observed (as it is called now) being under the gun even long ago when it had its own forum (in ZDNET/CNET) and tested all new items submitted for download. Also PC Magazine used to have a forum here, and ZDNET/CNET had the 1st electronics/computer TV program on cable/satellite. They titled the TV program "Call for Help", had a forum with the same title here, but to the dismay of members the 'star' never actually posted answers in the forum. When the TV portion was sold, they took the "Call for Help" forum name with them, requiring us to use the forum name "Computer Help", which still hasn't missed a beat in CNet. Opps, I'm starting to digress and being off topic....

Yes, I also have been subscribing to Consumers Report, along with Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, and Motor Trend for many years. Also for the last several years computer mags like PC World, Computer Shopper, and PC Magazine. They all give pretty good advice, info, test and what's new, so I do not rely solely on CNet.

Collapse -
Thanks all and a flash-back
by DH1 / June 1, 2007 5:14 AM PDT

Thanks to all who replied. Good answers.

John's response gave me a flashback. As a newbie nearly a decade ago my absolute favorite television show was "Call For Help." Leo Laporte was, what the call these days, THE BOMB!

Thanks for the memories.

(For those unacquainted with Leo you can visit him at

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.