The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Do you think today's hard drives are less reliable?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 4, 2013 8:20 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you think today's hard drives are less reliable?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you think today's hard drives are less reliable?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In too many cases, they're a lot worse
by jmc5695 / January 4, 2013 9:58 AM PST
I have two RAID arrays and a 5 disk Thecus NAS attached to my soho network with a Mac Mini dual drive server. I've had the usual horror stories about the drive that arrived working and died two days later after it was loaded for years (note, not limited to that particular event).

What's happened on the RAID servers is more trouble. The Thecus got 5 Seagate ES2 enterprise grade 1 TB HDs, damned expensive compared to standard issue. They have all failed plus one. FWIW, everything is UPSed and we have full redundant power generator with clean power. Two refurbished drives died just outside their warranty. The accumulated errors brought the raid 5 array down to one non-working drive, and then one degraded drive before the first (a refurb). This destroyed the RAID but fortunately it was mostly backed up. It's since been rebuilt with lower end drives and has been running fine. The Seagate 5900rpm drives in one RAID has been kicking without trouble for two years. The other just came on. We've had more trouble with WD than I want to think about.
Collapse -
Have you tried SSD Drives yet?
by Crash2100 / January 4, 2013 10:48 AM PST

Have you tried any server situations with solid state hard drives, since those drives are supposed to be the faster and more reliable?

I also say that the normal hard drives are about the same, but people are also doing more and more with them. So you just see more drive failures from this.

Collapse -
Seagate
by bigdad17 / January 5, 2013 2:00 AM PST

You said alot when you said Seagate of all the hard drives i've used these are the least reliable. Western digital, are as good as they have always been, I like SSD hard drives, the prices still need to fall a little more, and do not defragment an SSD hard drive..

Collapse -
HDDs are made to a price point
by chucknobucks / January 4, 2013 11:52 AM PST

The old Maxtor Quantum drives were the best I've ever owned, but very expensive as I remember. When my needs for storage expanded, I downgraded to the Maxtor D-740x drives. My two Quantum drives and six D-740x drives are still functioning after 12 years of average service, and although they are fairly small (40GB), they all still pass Maxtor's PowerMax and Gibson's SpinRite diagnostics with zero defects.

I have since had a Seagate 160 GB and a WD 200GB fail with less than 3 years of service. As I was researching Google for replacements for these drives, I came across one or two tech papers on why HDDs seem to be failing more often, and the consensus was basically that the manufacturers couldn't afford to market a premium drive and be competitive. End Users are just not willing to pay twice as much for a drive with identical specs to other offerings with similar sizes and speeds.

Collapse -
Hard drive failures
by lakefever / January 4, 2013 9:59 PM PST

Crash2100 pretty well sums it up in a nutshell. We used to shutdown computers and drives, the drives ran slower, and less useage when they did run. Todays equipment and use is hard on them. When the pockets of the manufactures get full enough, the technoogy will get to the pont of making solid state drives more afforadable and common. i believe this will solve some of the failure issues.

Collapse -
Hard drive longevity
by cvacinc93 / January 4, 2013 11:54 PM PST

Today's computers, in general get a lot more hard use and stay on 24-7, so all the components become much more prone to failure. just like any tool. We can sharpen our saws and chisels, but eventually they will wear out. The more they are used the faster they wear out.

Collapse -
Do you think today's hard drives are less reliable? - New!
by exsencon / January 5, 2013 12:05 AM PST

I have a very mainstream and 6 year old Dell 520 dimension PC with 2 HDD SATA 250GB WD . Last year the Windows HDD died on me after 6 years of loyal service (lucky me, I had plenty of backups) and I bought a new Western Digital SATA 320GB drive, reinstalled Windows (XP) put my saved stuff back in and it is running well. It should since it is only 6 months old and I have a 2 year warranty. So, I think a 6 year old drive is not too bad, I really can't tell you anything about my new 6 months old baby! My second HDD is 5 years old,full of Linux and still going strong. This topic shows one important thing: Backup!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

Finding the best 360 camera

GoPro, Pixpro, or Ricoh?

You can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a 360-degree camera. We tested three of them to find out what kind of quality and ease of use you can expect at each price point.