Android forum

General discussion

Do you think Google opening retail stores is a good idea?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 19, 2013 7:24 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you think Google opening retail stores is a good idea?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you think Google opening retail stores is a good idea?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by gkarwar / February 19, 2013 9:31 AM PST

Would rather see as department in another store like target or wallmart.

Collapse -
A Google retail store is good because...
by mbsfca / February 19, 2013 9:35 AM PST
In reply to: Google

Google offers great products and they would be healthy competition to Apple's retail stores.

Collapse -
Google doesn't compete that much with Apple
by timhood / February 19, 2013 10:56 AM PST

I don't think Google would really make nearly the money that Apple does from their stores. Apple sells a wide array of products for which Google doesn't have a competitive product. For example, laptops, iMacs, Mac Pros, etc. Every time someone walks out of an Apple store with a $2,000 computer, what would Google sell to compete with that? Some other company's computer?

Google doesn't even make money on the OS for their phone, so the best they could do was hope to make typical retail margins reselling someone else's products. Explain how they don't alienate resellers doing that.

Collapse -
Google has Friends and Partners..... Apple does NOT!
by iSamsung2u / February 19, 2013 6:09 PM PST

Google wouldn't just be selling their own brand of hardware. Google is primarily selling Android right now. But they have many other products in the pipeline. Including Google Glass, Smartwatches (not a rumor like w/ Apple, it's a fact) and their range of products will grow around Android. Which now out numbers iOS 4 to 1. So they are a lot like the Microsoft vs Apple of the 90's. Chromebooks and their Mac Mini like Chrome OS Computers are doing quite well in Enterprise market. They will only get stronger!

The reality of Apple's Stores, is that they too weren't the single company stores. NikeTown stores were the first single big brand stores to make their mark from New York to Tokyo and London. They were celebrated with grand openings every bit as spectacular and unique. Obviously Apple learned from them and even used the same marketing agency!

Google could have sublets like HTC, SAMSUNG, Sony, Lenovo and any other Android OS powered stores w/in Google Play Store. For things like Google Glass.... it would be an ideal way of giving people a chance to demo the device in person. Like with Google Smartwatches, Chromebooks, Google@HOME, and their services. They already have a store in London by the way and they are rumored to be working on a portable game console of their own too! .....and in a fun (not so stark and sterile white stuffed shirt Apple Store) store most likely to be called Play Store people could actually have fun instead of standing in lines waiting for supposed Geniuses to help them! ;-p

Collapse -
1. Yes I'd go 2. Google formerly had good quality
by wordshow / February 19, 2013 11:25 AM PST

1. Yes, I'd visit Google stores and have a personal sit-in to get human service/assistance for the numberous failures and drop in decent web services and user-experience across Google sites & tools.

2. Google had best quality of services until about 2 years ago, now it appears rookie programmers and nobody on corp. side has any care or interest in customer service or designs for customer ease of use.

Economic value as well as environmental impact/carbon-footprint minimization of placement in common/popular retail sites is good idea.

Collapse -
by rjp370 / February 19, 2013 9:45 AM PST

Because half the time I go into Wal-Mart the keys are missing off the laptop displays and God knows what is smeared on the screen. And Target has a 6 ft display with one each of the Apple products where some 12 year old is playing Angry Birds while his mother is somewhere in the store shopping. Ever been into an Apple store?
Where there are dozens of each item to try out. Multiple employees available to answer questions instead of someone who stocks underwear in WalMart trying to answer your questions. REALLY?

Collapse -
I've been in an Apple store and not impressed
by brandall59 / February 19, 2013 10:02 AM PST
In reply to: Really?

You are correct that are multiple employees in an Apple store and they are all standing around talking to each other and when you get someone's attention, they are really no help at all. I wanted to buy the new Nano and was told "it's over there". But I agree that technology in WalMart is useless and only somewhat better in Target.

Collapse -
Do you think google opening retail stores is a good idea
by spickernow / February 20, 2013 5:03 PM PST

If this was to happen in the UK, I would hope that a thought could be given to opening a department in another well known outlet as would probably get to a much wider 'audience' - Apple stores in the UK are ok but we have to travel vast distances stuck out in the wilds of the South West like me! - Just a thought.....

Collapse -
by williambjacobs / March 11, 2013 12:56 AM PDT

I think it would be a good idea to have a department within another store. I don't think there would be enough traffic worth supporting on its own. Although it would be nice to be able to go in and talk to a real person and get one on one training on how to use different apps, especially for older folks.

Collapse -
by dxtxg / February 19, 2013 9:35 AM PST

The must train the employees to be total Googlefiles, or it is pointless.
The stock must be there..... all the time.
The need to assess their target audience for location decisions. It will be different
in different parts of the country.

Collapse -
to Maybe
by nedkelly56 / February 19, 2013 3:41 PM PST
In reply to: Maybe

Google needs to be in different parts of the globe, specially Australia.

Collapse -
Google retail stores.
by susanai / February 19, 2013 9:36 AM PST

I would love to see Google open up to public but prefer it to be within another big store. I love Google - all things google and would gladly spend my money there. Stand alone store is too expensive in this day and age. Let Apple have that profligracy and let Google be for the people.

Collapse -
I'd go
by ESUNintel / February 19, 2013 9:42 AM PST

I would go, but I'm not sure if they have as much to offer as the Apple Store or Microsoft Store. It might be cool if they offered cool, unlocked, Android phones that no US carrier has.

Collapse -
As long as they support the lefties
by nmgene / February 19, 2013 9:49 AM PST

I will never use any of there products and do not use google search ever.

Collapse -
Don't use Google products and avoid their search engine
by c.jacks / February 19, 2013 11:12 AM PST

I concur with nmgene's post of 2/19/13 5:49 PM -- I also do not and would not use Google products for reasons that I disagree with the politics of their management, and I do not like the 'business model' used by the Google search engine which is to track the activities of users and to Sell positions at the top of the 'hits' list, and the scanning/monitoring of their user's emails

Collapse -
Sales Tax
by minder06 / February 19, 2013 9:53 AM PST

A brick and mortar presence in the state will make purchases subject to sales taxes totalling 10% here in my location.

Collapse -
Not sure
by wammac1 / February 19, 2013 9:54 AM PST

If they sell a product I want/need, I like to figure out how to use it, or learn via video tutoring. My money, my speed, my convenience. Thanks for the poll.

Collapse -
Google Stores
by Ron Geiken / February 19, 2013 9:55 AM PST

I already have a Nexus 7 and a Nexus 10, so not sure if I would be a customer right away, but I have given away old computers in the past, and will give a look at the new stuff that will be coming. There are always lots of young people who would be glad to get older products that I was getting rid of and also Adults too. I have never had to take a used computer to a recycle center. Actually they were all working when I got rid of them, and most of them still are. If Google has any sense, they will be sure to include all of the products that are sold by other manufacturers that want to be there too. They might want to include some classes on the latest products to show their features so people could try before they buy. I bought both of my Nexus devices without actually trying them out, but have not been disappointed. I have a couple of W7 computers too, so have the best of all worlds. The Tablets are fun to use and I have my Nexus 10 hooked up to a 27 inch monitor and Android Jelly Bean looks pretty good on the big screen. My Nexus 7 is for use on the sofa when I just want ot relax. There also seems to be quite a market for used Tablets, and people could take advantage of getting one with lots of apps installed, so they could just take off and use it pretty fully right off the bat.

Collapse -
Google is not Apple
by chillmog / February 19, 2013 9:55 AM PST

This is not a good idea for Google. Apple already had an avid following for their products when they brought out the iPad. Google doesn't have that base of people who are devoted to their products and will go search for a company store. Also they don't sell their products for premium prices like Apple. Their best bet would be to sell through the big box stores at higher volumes. They could then do the next best thing by having a prominent presence of company personnel in the stores.

Collapse -
This is a brilliant Idea
by gross770 / February 19, 2013 9:57 AM PST

It will allow google lovers to try more of the products before they buy. It would be great PR to follow the apple shop concept giving consumers better customer service. I hope this happens.

Collapse -
Google store
by loislanersvl1 / February 19, 2013 10:01 AM PST

I would go, if they offered trainings in their store.

Collapse -
Not a good idea
by camille522 / February 19, 2013 10:02 AM PST

No. Mainly because the idea of a retail store is a dying form of selling products. I personally do 99% of my shopping online. I am a senior and had a problem with trusting online shopping early on. But, I now use a lot of mostly trusted sites. If I try a new unknown online site, I only spend a minimal amount to start till I learn to trust. I also pay 99% of my bills online and all my banking, too. Excuse me...I digress. But, the point is that a retail outlet would not fare well in time. I would never invest in it. I think I like what another person here said about making it a department in a store like Walmart or Target or Office Max, etc..

Collapse -
Yes, it'd be interesting
by wpgwpg / February 19, 2013 10:05 AM PST

I think Android is going to eat Apple's lunch, so I'd love to shop there and see a bunch of Android tablets.

Collapse -
Google Store? You bet!
by CFKman / February 19, 2013 10:06 AM PST

I'd not only go to browse and shop, but I'd also leave a resume and apply for a job!

Collapse -
Google Store
by ceh4702 / February 19, 2013 10:11 AM PST

Google is a search egine that wants to take over the world. I dont even use their search engine. However, they woule have to make something I would want to buy. I buy most of my stuff on line for computers. In a situation where their store might be a place to meet people that might be interesting. I would probably show up once just to check it out if I did not have anything else to do.

Collapse -
Would I buy from Google?
by Paultard / February 19, 2013 10:16 AM PST

Google was created by the CIA.. No Thank you.. Google directly assisted in the overthrow of a foreign government. We could be next. They are too big already, like big brother only worse.

Collapse -
Never been to the Apple store
by netsiu / February 19, 2013 10:18 AM PST

So it dosn't matter to me if Google has one. That heavy a compitition may be what's needed to bring "i" products down.

Collapse -
by musicrocker123 / February 19, 2013 10:26 AM PST

I'm not to sure? I think it would be something that people would be very interested in the first week, month, maybe even 6 months after they opened. Although, the excitement might diminish quickly. When a new iPhone comes out people flock to the store. But after the first 2 weeks it goes back to normal. Something similar might happen to Google Stores.
Unlike Apple, the majority Googles products have been integrated into retail stores for years now, and haven't had the one stop shop for all Googles products. One could argue that it would be easier to stop by their local phone provider to buy Googles products, as that is what everyone has been doing. Then again, Google is getting much more advance with the products they are creating. with Googles ChomeBook, the Glasses they are developing, and the Diver-less car they have been engineering, a Google store may be a better option, opposed to a variety of retail stores. I can't see Lens Crafter selling Googles glasses, and a car dealer ship offering Googles Diver-less technology.
But, It should be interesting. Google definitely has the funds to do it, and if they did open some stores, I would stop by. (Some food for thought. There is a difference between a few flag ship stores in major major cities, and retail sotres that would popup across the country.)

Collapse -
Would we actually receive customer service from a human?
by shel10 / February 19, 2013 10:30 AM PST

I'll bet that Google will find a way to make this an impersonal process. I can see a store filled with Tablet computers where customers will be directed to a web site to ask questions and make purchases.

Collapse -
Apple is the only tech company with successful retail stores
by fredlave / February 19, 2013 10:41 AM PST

Apple is the only tech company with successful retail stores. Google needs excellent management to succeed in retail otherwise their stores will be a money pit.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.