The CNET Lounge

General discussion

Do you think bar breathalyzers will help prevent drunk driving?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 18, 2014 7:59 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you think bar breathalyzers will help prevent drunk driving?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you think bar breathalyzers will help prevent drunk driving?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
tag the vehicle not the building
by friedman2722 / February 18, 2014 8:39 AM PST

Have them blow into an analyzer to start the vehicle. One needs to pass for the vehicle to even start.

Collapse -
In the car
by jamesrpm / February 18, 2014 9:33 AM PST

Oregon can already require you to have one if you have to drive to work. They still bust the same people , all they do is buy a junker to drive instead of their usual transportation

Collapse -
Good Idea
by Sueschmit / February 18, 2014 10:52 AM PST

Your vehicle would know your body weight, and starting the vehicle is the bottom line in DUI. Better machine: Must drop car keys in machine when purchasing first drink; If you don't pass the breathalyzer on the way out, you don't get your keys back until you sober up. Coffee should be free; Bar pays for machine.

Collapse -
The usual suspects will .....
by 3strokes / February 18, 2014 11:17 AM PST
In reply to: Good Idea

... carry an extra set of keys.
The yahoos whom these machines are intended to stop from DUI'ing are the ones who
actually believe that THEY are OK because THEY have control over themselves (or they
drive bigger, stronger vehicles.)

Collapse -
Most people have no idea what their blood alcohol level is.
by wsalomon / February 18, 2014 8:50 AM PST

Very few people have had the experience of drinking and having their BAC measured.

The "correlation" between "feeling drunk" and knowing what 0.08 feels like has been shown to be pretty unreliable.

If nothing else, they could be a very good "training" device in a "controlled" environment as you see from your own drinking what the result is.

(And for women this is a real problem as they weigh less, and BAC for a given amount of alcohol goes up as the drinker's weight is less.)

Collapse -
That is me! I would like to know!
by johnedwardsbc / February 18, 2014 12:45 PM PST

Let's talk about the average person. Not the boneheads.
The majority have little idea of their sobriety. Four drinks may make you feel fine, but if you try the beathalyzer just for fun and it says "too much" you probably, not being a bonehead, will reflect on the result. Maybe to adjust your drinks to three. I would sure like to have such an option that doesen't involve the police.

Collapse -
Breathalyzers in Bars are a Bad Idea
by klappjack / February 18, 2014 9:02 AM PST

as people will just ignore them. Who will pay for these machines?

Collapse -
Correllation D/N Imply...
by chooch.42 / February 18, 2014 9:17 AM PST

What is shown by the breathalyzer is a level that equals "Legality", not "Safety". Blowing a 0.05 does NOT mean you (a particular individual) are competent to safely operate a vehicle - only that you comply with the Legal limit - and really, is only valid at that moment the test is taken, not necessarily 10 or 20 minutes later (when you "blow" a Stop signal !).

Collapse -
unless you take another drink
by friedman2722 / February 19, 2014 4:54 AM PST

Unless you take another drink your blood alcohol level would be less 20 minutes later.

Collapse -
Think like a GUY, for heaven's sake!
by bizcoach2 / February 18, 2014 9:35 AM PST

This idea has been tried, in Illinois. And guess what happened?

Guys--exhibiting their hard-wired competitiveness (aggravated, in this case, by booze)--held CONTESTS to see who could bury the needle at the high end of the dial! They'd drink a few shots, then take a shot at the breathalyzer, then drink another shot,,,and repeat until there was a clear winner, or until everyone was either unconscious or worshiping before the ceramic throne in the men's room.

Then they'd stagger out the door, laughing hilariously, and climb into their cars for the drive home.

As a result, all the machines were quickly removed from the saloons.

Collapse -
Yes No Maybe Don't care
by netsiu / February 18, 2014 10:25 AM PST

Didn't vote because there wasn't a box for us teetotalers that don't care.
I don't drink. Thus I don't go into bars.
I have done so in the past and the bar mentality would not be to see if sober enough to drive but the game of how drunk can I get without passing out. It would do nothing toward the safety that would be intended.

Collapse -
Not going to work...
by redsparx / February 18, 2014 10:39 AM PST

Breathalyzer... the DRINKING GAME!!!

How HIGH can you blow!!! Thar she blows!!!

Really!? The one-liners practically write themselves. Put a bluetooth interface on the thing and there will be an app for it in a week. It won't stop drunk driving. The drunks "who know better" will dismiss it with a wave of their hand on the way out the door to the parking lot. Everyone else will treat it as a curiosity until they get tired of it and stop noticing it, like a new beer light.

Collapse -
Drinkin in the USA
by tazmo8448 / February 18, 2014 11:41 AM PST
In reply to: Not going to work...

The hard core drinkers are always there. You can't tell a hard head anything and there are those out there that can drink people under the table and carry on then you have the once in a while drinkers who have a few and can't even get out of the parking lot.

Will it work? Maybe. Are they necessary? Not to folks who drink as a hobby. Drinking is in the DNA. Like guns. Is it safe? NO but does it stop anyone who drinks? NO. People who don't drink think different than those that do, it is a plain fact. Does that make it right? NO. There is no silver bullet. It (drinking) is in some ways a way of life. Advertising the way it is condones drinking....have another Bud or Miller Light or Samuel Adams....go to any ball game or any function that draws crowds that have 'regional' fans and you'll see if you just got off a boat from China and have been gone your whole life maybe all this is new to you.

Collapse -
Breathalyzers in bars
by Bobwrc / February 18, 2014 1:25 PM PST

A manned police cruiser parked outside would be far more useful!

Collapse -
better idea
by lchien / February 18, 2014 2:56 PM PST

You give the machine your car keys,
when you take the test, if you pass you get your keys back. If you fail then it brings up a web page for cab services.

Collapse -
It wouldn't hurt
by texasdan / February 18, 2014 2:57 PM PST

But I doubt many people would make the decision on whether or not to drive based on the results. It would be nice if they did.

Collapse -
Do you think these bar breathalyzers will help prevent drunk
by tucdan / February 18, 2014 3:18 PM PST

I think this would have a great impact on bars and undoubted lead to the shutdown of many bars (Are you happy madd zealots0?

I also think that if this did become a requirement, no one should be exempt. That would do something that I think is long overdo I have been excused from jury duty when I asked whether the lawyers and judge had been required to be tested for drugs/alcohol in order to handle those cases.

By the way, prohibition was repealed with the 21st amendment to the constitution in 1933!!!! This would be a step backwards.

Collapse -
Two single-use breathalysers in car required in France
by neher5 / February 18, 2014 4:54 PM PST

The expectation was that drivers would use one to test themselves upon emerging from a place where they'd consumed alcohol, then have a spare so they could be re-tested when stopped. The law came into force over a year ago, but is not being enforced due to unspecified difficulties in some field or other.

Collapse -
personal use
by crellos / February 18, 2014 5:05 PM PST

I've been seeing more and more of the personal ones over the years. Evidently they are getting more popular and accessible.

http://reviewshot.com/personal-breathalyzer-review/

The one time I used one, it was more like a party game to see who was the most drunk. Not a bad thing in itself.

Collapse -
Side effects not immediately obvious
by laurieprior / February 18, 2014 8:01 PM PST

No mention is made of whether the testing machine would produce a fresh sterilized nozzle for each compulsory test so I think with horror of the germs potentially passable from one person to another.

If it was made law that failure to pass the fitness to drive test would result in the person being forbidden to get in their car and drive, then the victim who has drunk too much would be forced to take a Taxi home and Taxi drivers won't be very pleased to increase the number of clients being sick and abusive in their Taxis! And who can blame them for that?

The publican would be cheesed off with large numbers of vehicles stuck in the car park of the pub awaiting collection some considerable time later. Then the driver would have to prove he or she is sober enough to drive it home with a hangover! It all looks like an unworkable idea when you think of the spin-offs or side-effects.

Drunk driving is a matter of bad attitude, low responsibility, and the mindless or reckless behaviour of people who don't care what harm they do others and themselves. There should be an enforceable law that makes active or passive dissociates criminalized and prosecuted for threatening the lives of others (innocent strangers or family members) and make children on leaving school take an examination to prove they know how to be considerate and unselfish. If they fail, make them go back a year and wise up!

Collapse -
Perspective of a victim
by bukosky / February 18, 2014 11:38 PM PST

My daughter in law and two grandaughters were killed in a collision from a drunk. Two other people in the car survived but one suffered bad injuries and the other, my grandson, lost his family. I've been wanting something like this since then to protect potential victims and also a casual drinker from all the trouble from being stopped for DWI. Everybody wins on this one. I'm saying that I still enjoy a couple beers or glasses of wine with a dinner but want to be sure that I'm both legal to drive and competent to drive.

Collapse -
High mark up item
by bukosky / February 18, 2014 11:45 PM PST

Booze is a very high marked up product. It should be part the of cost of doing business so you're going to pay a bit more for your drink. This is both protecting you from yourself, unless you aren't driving then you can fall in a sewer and heave your guts out for all I care, and somebody out there from your bad judgement.

Collapse -
Then special punishment is called for
by bukosky / February 18, 2014 11:53 PM PST

If some knuckheads make a game of it, then the punishment should be more severe. If these idiots get severe punishment, it should be documented and posted where the drinking was done. Having a good time is one thing. Ending up damaging property, hurting someone or killing them is another. We need to take this crap seriously and do something proactive about it. These devices give a chance to do that. If these asses don't take it seriously, then they should be removed from society.

Collapse -
On the right line
by bukosky / February 18, 2014 11:59 PM PST

I've questioned the random checkpoints for this. I can't see delaying people who weren't even drinking. Instead, do random stops in the bar or restaurant's parking lot. Soon the word will get out and if that doesn't reduce the problem then it is hopeless.

Collapse -
Good idea
by bukosky / February 19, 2014 12:04 AM PST

This is one time I applaud France.

Collapse -
Can't hurt, might help
by wpgwpg / February 19, 2014 12:06 AM PST

I've often heard that drunks don't realize they're drunk. I believe that if you're seriously drunk, you know it, but there's a middle ground between being OK and being seriously drunk where you probably don't realize you've had too much to pass a breathalyzer test, but not drunk enough to realize it. If somebody spends money to buy one of these, it might not keep them from drinking, but might make them drink a little less and/or drive more carefully.

Collapse -
Doubtful
by itsdigger / February 19, 2014 12:30 AM PST

It can't hurt having those in taverns but drunks are gonna get drunk no matter what.

As another person posted, we had those here in Illinois and the drunks turned them into a drinking game.

Social drinkers really don't need to use them. I know a couple of folks that'll walk around for hours with the same coctail and never even finish it.
I know another BUTTHEAD that's had 13 DUI's over a say 30 year period and never lost his license . He figures he's shelled out at least $100,000 in court battles and won. Money Talks! That doesn't even include all of the wrecked vehicles and hospital bills. He still drinks and drives today.

Digger

Collapse -
Stupid idea for stupid drunk people
by dukhalionite / February 19, 2014 3:13 AM PST

Even one drink means no driving. And this decision has to be made before going to the bar, so You don't drive there either. One of my schoolmates got run over on his graduation day by a drunk on a zebra crossing.

However, I would suggest that You shouldn't be able to buy a drink in a bar without giving Your car keys. You would then get a receipt and could only get Your keys back the next day.

Collapse -
Bar Breathalysers ?
by shafiqkhan31 / February 19, 2014 7:43 PM PST

No it would not work. you can not make a difference unless implant a couple of grains of brains into people who drive even after ONE drink.
In the UK it is such a NO:NO. Using a telephone while driving or driving after a drink is culturally unacceptable. Yes some do it, but are caught and punished very soon.
Why not in the USA ?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.