The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Do you still buy DVD or Blu-ray discs today?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 6, 2012 8:28 AM PST

To give you some context to the poll read this blog here: Does it still make sense to buy DVDs?

Do you still buy DVD or Blu-ray discs today?

-- Yes. (How frequently?)
-- No. (Why not?)
-- On occasion. (What are the reasons?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you still buy DVD or Blu-ray discs today?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you still buy DVD or Blu-ray discs today?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes - but only if...
by ESUNintel / March 6, 2012 9:35 AM PST

I do buy Blu-ray movies but only if they come with a digital copy. The only exceptions for buying a Blu-ray without a digital copy would be if it's really cheap or a super good movie.

As far as I know the DVD is dead, Blu-ray provides the best possible audio/video quality, and AppleTV/Roku are the future - I do have an AppleTV and Roku as well, and love both.

Collapse -
For backups
by ESUNintel / March 6, 2012 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: Yes - but only if...

oh - and if you meant for backups, the answer is no way. I rather backup to a home server (Windows Home Server or Mac Mini Server) just to make it easy to access my data. A DVD just doesn't hold enough, and I can't backup to a Blu-ray because if I need to share the content, many people still don't have a Blu-ray ready computer, and Mac's don't support them.

Collapse -
Still use DVDs to record and play later.
by SinbadSailor / March 6, 2012 9:43 AM PST

It is convenient for us to record TV programs on DVD and play them at our 2nd home which has no cable and only digital TV. We have a nice library of some of our favorite viewing including concerts and special programming that we simply enjoy watching more than once. We used VCR tapes for this but have completely changed over although the main console utilizes our VCR recorder to provide the cable channel input for the DVD recorder we use. Of course we can also always watch the DVDs on either of our large screen laptops so we're not in all that bad a shape for a coupla old folks!

Collapse -
Netflix by mail does it for me
by hazel161 / March 6, 2012 9:50 AM PST

Netflix by mail suits me. About one current movie a week, to watch at my leisure.Their turnaround is amazing. I rarely watch a movie more than once. No storage problem. I never bought dvd movies, for storage and $ reasons.

Collapse -
Yes I certainly do.
by petershum / March 6, 2012 9:52 AM PST

I am one of those who want my very own copy of a movie, especially the ones that I like. I do not want to depend on online sites which can go out of business, or just don't have my movie. With my own copy, I can also watch any of my movies anywhere and anytime!

Collapse -
Go out of business? You're joking.
by zythman / March 23, 2012 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes I certainly do.

Your storage effort and all that money spent on DVDs is commendable but you must admit has its limits... in both storage space and longevity. All discs eventually deteriorate. And let's be honest- how many times can you seriously enjoy re-watching the same movie, while knowing the outcome? Netflix, Hulu, Roku plus others are the real wave of the future! They add new content everyday. They AREN'T going out of business. Stop trying to justify all the money you've wasted on old dvds and sign up for any streaming movie service, and watch as you actually start SAVING money over buying DVDs and BluRays, only to park them on a dusty shelf.

Collapse -
Still buy DVD/Blu-Ray
by blcain / March 6, 2012 9:58 AM PST

I buy quite a few movies on Blu-ray. I have satt for my internet and is not very good for streaming video. Very slow at only about 1.2mbs (+-). Have DirecTV that I can record a movie from (HD). But I would have to hook the DVR to my computer in order to burn a disk. Very much a pain! Also would not be able to stream anything while traveling in the motorhome. Don't think Blu-ray will be going away anytime soon. It is just too portable a media. Most autos only have the DVD players so DVD's will be around for awhile yet. Just wish the price of the blank disk (Blu-ray) would come down somewhat and be available in more stores.

Collapse -
by 4Denise / March 6, 2012 10:00 AM PST

I seldom buy them new (Amazon is great for used DVDs), but I do buy them. I limit myself to movies I want to keep, though. I have to see the movie before I buy it.

Collapse -
Didn't start
by Bageech / March 6, 2012 10:03 AM PST

I never started to buy DVDs so how can I stop buying DVDs?

Collapse -
Looks cloudy to me
by riggarob / March 6, 2012 10:06 AM PST

I use Netflix, as there is literally no other options for me. Can't stream, no Blk Buster (went under), Red Box 8 miles away, and I DO NOT trust the cloud thing w/anything of value. I just dropped a long time bank bc they would only do on line statements, unless I paid THEM a buck/month to get a paper one !!! If you are a Metrosexual, I guess you can do whatever you want, but us bumpkins don't have much of a choice. Git it dun !!

Collapse -
Buying DVDs
by Ron Geiken / March 6, 2012 10:09 AM PST

I personally haven't bought a DVD for over 5 years. I have acquired quite a few in the past, but rarely watch any of them in the past few years. I now have a HD DVR, and all of the movies and other things that I watch are from there. I am retired, and even with 24 hours a day off, I don't have the time to watch what I record now at times. Sure don't have any time for DVDs.

Collapse -
Still buy DVD's and Blu-rays
by prberg / March 6, 2012 10:18 AM PST

I still buy DVD's and Blu-rays... and will continue to for a long time. They are just so much better! I have tried streaming and downloading my movies and I don't like it. The video/audio quality is much better on my DVD/Blu-rays. Also the movies I watch online usually will skip and pause throughout the movie, or there will be ad interruptions. Also sometimes when I download a movie, it won't play correctly on my computer or my portable device. What a pain!

I would rather just pop in a disc and hit play, then sit back and enjoy the movie on my home theater. To watch a movie on a small computer screen, or have to worry about archiving my downloaded movie files and hope they play again in a few years.. no thanks. I'm a big Blu-ray fan!

Collapse -
forgot to add
by prberg / March 6, 2012 10:20 AM PST

Sorry.. forgot to add (Why can't I edit my posts by the way?).

I probably buy 1 or 2 movies per month. Not a ton.. but I usually only buy the movies that I really like anyways.

Collapse -
DVD Purchases
by lsjparalegal / March 6, 2012 10:35 AM PST

Not everyone can afford streaming, video on demand, netflix,or any of the myriad mediums out in cyberspace. I am a relative non-techie but, more importantly, my budget simply won't allow me to do any of the things mentioned in the intro/question. I am so grateful that my public library has many DVDs available for free. No, they aren't immediately available - public libraries are also experiencing massive cutbacks. But for movies I didn't have an opportunity, for whatever reasons to see on the big screen, I'll wait until it's available through my library. If it's something I really, really want to add to my collection, I will wait until it comes out on DVD (don't have a BluRay player).

Collapse -
One word - Quality
by Antwon947 / March 6, 2012 10:40 AM PST

Streaming content has yet to come even close to the amazing quality of Blu-Ray Discs, so until that happens, I will continue buying them. Also, most Blu-Rays come with a digital copy or UV digital copy, so I can stream them anyway!

Collapse -
Yes, I buy DVDs
by erisdea / March 6, 2012 11:19 AM PST

I don't have a DVR or any of the services that you use to download movies so I either rent a disc or watch pay per view through my cable provider. With the threat of cable companies charging more for increased bandwidth I'm not convinced that buying or renting DVDs will go away any time soon.

Collapse -
Yes, but very selectively
by cosmic52 / March 6, 2012 11:22 AM PST

Even with a fast ISP I have yet to see a streaming movie that doesn't have some glitch, somewhere. If it stalls or tiles it blows my viewing experience. Not interested.

If it's something that's played at the mall that I liked it continue to be available in some format and probably deserved to be seen on the big screen anyway. But I enjoy the independent, the foreign, the documentaries - often obscure. No way can I find most of those in streaming form. A few of them end up On Demand and if they do they're expensive and the availability is fleeting. Every once in a while a movie comes along that I know I'll never find again.

With all the great independent video stores who carried this sort of thing going out of business the short answer is yes. If it's something not quite mainstream I know I'll want to see again and won't be able to find I will consider buying it. I might buy a few DVDs a year. I just hope there will be a way to play them a decade from now!

Collapse -
A few Older Movies and 1 New.
by bigbear639 / March 6, 2012 11:23 AM PST

I could care less if they are blue ray, green, purple or red. The difference is not worth it. Since I have every conceivable Channel except the Foreing Language ones I wait for them or watch them on Xfinity Steampix on demand.

As Baseball, Basketball, Hockey and Football are my main intrest, I watch before or after a game. What I pay a month would only let me buy about 8-10 DVD's a month at the most. I have my Cable, 2 Phone lines, Cell Service and high Speed Internet all in that plan.

Collapse -
I continue to buy
by edbrady / March 6, 2012 11:32 AM PST

I realize that most people think I'm old fashioned, and I probably am, but I refuse to buy ANYTHING on line. Too many incidents of stealing information, identity theft, etc. But, that's just me.

Collapse -
by Gregches / March 6, 2012 11:50 AM PST

I don't buy but rent from Netflix.

Collapse -
DVD Discs
by bkbhimani / March 6, 2012 12:07 PM PST

Yes, still there are times when I buy DVDs, when they are foreign films or Indies that are not available on Netflix or Amazon or Blockbuster or on Cable Networks.

Collapse -
Rent more than buy...
by MadKatter / March 6, 2012 12:08 PM PST

Yes, I still buy DVD's--if the movie/series is a particular favorite. Mostly I rent from Netflix (or Blockbuster), or check them out of the library.

Collapse -
Never have seen a Blu-Ray disk
by john3347 / March 6, 2012 12:09 PM PST

I have 2 or 3 DVD movies and a few dozen applications and OSs on DVD and CD but I have better things to do with my time than watch movies. I never liked the blu-ray format and will never buy a blu-ray application. Yes, I still use DVDs. I just recently downloaded Windows 8 and transferred it to a DVD. I have several applications that are saved on a DVD. I still use CD-RWs for file transfer when my network burps. As far as games, music and movies go, DVDs and Blu-Ray disks never were in vogue for me.

Collapse -
<3 Do I still buy Bluray/DVD disks?
by aloneinelcajon / March 6, 2012 12:11 PM PST
CryHeck no! I got laid off 2yrs. ago. Roomate and his immediate "family" seemed to make my collection "magically disappear" by helping themselves. So? I boxed up ALL my DVD's/CD's and fillled 4 boxes for moving out when I get re-employed. And I sure hope that's REAL soon, as unemployment extention ran out in Jan. 2012.
So, consequently, I'm unable to add anything to my collection, like Disney collectibles, movie sequels, etc... Bad enough I had to replace over $400 worth of CD's that were "removed" from my car being broken into. TG for eBay! Took 6 months to replace my favorite music. I no longer play ORIGINALS in car, I make copies 1st of favorite tracks to external HD, then keep in car.
Wink I finally got smart for an ol' lady of 58yrs. ...LOL.
~Pat in El Cajon, CA.
Collapse -
DVD's not Blue Ray
by netsiu / March 6, 2012 12:46 PM PST

I have computer & internet (obviously) but TV is still antenna. Price for Cable or Satelite is unseemly high. Can't afford and the amount of garbage I would have to pay for to get the few channels I would watch gags me.
For the same reason I will not pay the membership fees for online streaming.

I buy about a dozen or so DVD's a year. Usually after they hit the $5 bin at WalMart.

Will think about BlueRay if my DVD player breaks.

Collapse -
Buy DVDs or download ?
by rziulek / March 6, 2012 1:02 PM PST

I'll buy a dvd if it's a title we will watch more than once. But then I'll rip it into a digital file so we can access it from our entertainment center pc. any other dvd, will be watched online - mostly through Amazon Prime.

Collapse -
Yes. (How frequently?) depends on the movie
by swamprat / March 6, 2012 1:02 PM PST

bluray is a no not worth the expense. believe it or not some of us do not live in the land of suckers (that would be lolly pops) and arugula pizza. in the real world not everyone is able to connect to reasonably priced broad band. the Verizon dude saying can you hear me now has no signal can't hear and he fell off the end of the earth so I watch directv with dvd NOT bluray and canceled the $10hd for a fee.

with the fed pushing free phones (my ssa starts3rd thursday of apr ) to doddering old farts and subsudising broadband that never gets here I'll just watch dvds antd the olo vcr. jyall kyomb bak neow ja haree!!

Collapse -
never did anyway
by tek-ed / March 6, 2012 1:05 PM PST

I never purchased that many dvds in the first place...I guess I'm not that much of a consumer...and honestly, none of the movies that have come out since LOTR have been worth purchasing. Heck, even spending money to go to the theater on some of these movies are worthless today...most cases, you can't get out of the theater for under $40/couple...then add to that a dinner and a night out for dinner and a movie can run $70-$80! who wants to pay that for a crappy movie and mediocre food?
Nah, I'll just wait for it to come on network or Redbox....

Collapse -
Yes - If I want to keep the media for a loooong time
by keithjcee / March 7, 2012 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: never did anyway
But ONLY if I want to keep the MEDIA for a loooong time!
Collapse -
No, i haven't
by manikunis / August 17, 2012 4:18 AM PDT

It has been almost 5 years that i have buy a DVD or Blu Ray. Thanks to internet.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.