Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Web Hosting, Design, & Coding

Question

Do you love your hosting company? Name them here!

by MtManbytheSea / April 4, 2013 11:01 PM PDT

Do you have an awesome web hosting company? We're looking for your recommendation on who you think is doing a great job and deserves the community's business. Let's encourage web hosting companies that get it right, so we can leave the duds behind.

Basic criteria: solid system in place for password resets, customer support, reliability, lack of downtime, ample servers/bandwidth.

No rants, please, only raves.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you love your hosting company? Name them here!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you love your hosting company? Name them here!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Fair warning the usual spam will vanish unannounced.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2013 11:27 PM PDT

There are a few spam .coms and such that will be removed without notice.

Collapse -
Answer
Inmotion Hosting
by InMotionHosting / May 3, 2013 12:56 AM PDT

I work for Inmotion so I am biased Blush , but we have awesome 24/7 Support (in Virginia Beach) 365 days a year.

We use high-performance Dell® servers running CentOS® enterprise-class Linux, with networking hardware from Cisco Systems® among others.

We also have "Green" East and West coast data centers, so we can put your account on the server that is closest to your customer base, and has a smaller carbon footprint.

I hope this helps,
-John-Paul

Collapse -
Answer
Also looking
by theycallmetori / May 7, 2013 2:20 AM PDT

Also looking for a new hosting company. Can't wait to see what gets recommended.

Collapse -
Answer
Put up a hosting review article - please :)
by eb_p1 / May 11, 2013 3:05 PM PDT

Well I've been pretty happy with HostGator - but with the new Post-Types in WP 3.6, I don't want to be limited by the aperture size my host sets (even though they can and rightly should do so - I just never did well with being told no) HostGator's support was adequate, and their sysadmin was reassuring, knowing I could query a time of attack and get someone to look at - so I'd be walking away with all good things to say...I am really interested in playing with A2 and their promise of 300% faster speed with SSD, highly knowledgeable staff - and customer service was a blink to get in touch with, lots of developer options. I'm surprised they are not rated much higher.

I plan to test the waters, my chat transactions:

Ernest Burnett: comeon...live chat
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Welcome to A2 Hosting Live Chat! How may I help you?
Ernest Burnett: nice
Ernest Burnett: hi
Ernest Burnett: quick inquiry
Ernest Burnett: do you have a post size limt file upload limit for php? 64M
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: There is a default limit but it can be changed with a custom php.ini file
Ernest Burnett: Sweet deal - are you busy right now or can answer few qs?
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Sure I can answer any questions you have
Ernest Burnett: awesome
Ernest Burnett: ok
Ernest Burnett: one issue I would be concerned about is with wp 3.6 and the new post types - so that was answered w question 1
Ernest Burnett: one thing I wanted to know was what was intrusion/detection support like ie. if I get twitter hacked - can I get online w someone quickly?
Ernest Burnett: and you guys can look into?
Ernest Burnett: (assuming I set up and used an email address here)
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: No, we would not be responsible for anything on twitter.
Ernest Burnett: understand, but if someone hacked my email - twitter can't do a thing
Ernest Burnett: If I were to hop over from HG to A2, I'd like to know that I could take my social media account info or w/e I hold dear and say, has anybody been trying to hit it, at this time?
Ernest Burnett: I got hit by a bruteforce attack back when, and hotmail couldn't do a thing, I imagine they get blasted all the time
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: We would only be able to Manage the email on our server.
Ernest Burnett: that would suffice
Ernest Burnett: (would just need some one to be able to pass the inquiry to look into)
Ernest Burnett: nice - I take that as a yes then
Ernest Burnett: I'm a little new to the rtmp process, can you describe something that might work for me, if I wanted to aim a stream (do you have a plan that would allow me?)
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Our shared plans are not designed for audio or video streaming. A Managed VPS or dedicated server would be better suited for that.
Ernest Burnett: ok, understand - can you describe some kind of price ballpark? I may be interested in playing with a few numbers
Ernest Burnett: oh
Ernest Burnett: yes please describe
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Our Managed VPS pricing can be found here: There are multiple plans for a more powerful VPS
Ernest Burnett: ok...I kind of took a look, I was hoping I could get a little live dialogue
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Our Managed VPS plans provide dedicated resources for your sites rather than being on a shared server.
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Each Managed VPS comes with cPanel. We will make sure all of the server software is up to date and running properly.
Ernest Burnett: when do I need to be concerned with bandwidth (since I have not done the research on this area yet) sending the stream or also when it is being pulled?
Ernest Burnett: (trying to understand this part)
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Both will consume bandwidth. We have statistics you can check to see where you are before you hit the limit.
Ernest Burnett: ahh...ok - so it really depends on no of viewers?
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Yes, it will depend on how many people are watching/downloading the content.
Ernest Burnett: ahhh....thank you for clarifying this.
Ernest Burnett: is there any chance there is any kind of stream spawn to throw traffic elsewhere?
Ernest Burnett: ok sorry about the hypothetical
Ernest Burnett: if I hit my cap, what happens?
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: The VPS will be suspended automatically if it goes over the limit. You may contact our billing department any time to increase the amount of bandwidth before it goes over.
Ernest Burnett: (that's actually better)
Ernest Burnett: ok
Ernest Burnett: so, lets say a 2hr video
Ernest Burnett: about how big you think (live)
Ernest Burnett: maybe not hd
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Unfortunately it would be hard to say and would depend on the size of the video.
Ernest Burnett: ok, lets say about....
Ernest Burnett: let me pop open procaster
Ernest Burnett: hmm..
Ernest Burnett: guess I should have set it up Silly
Ernest Burnett: ok lets say about 1-1.5G
Ernest Burnett: is that a high estimate?
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: That may be a bit high. The size of the video being streamed is what the bandwidth would be increased by, so if the video is 500MB that's how much your bandwidth goes up.
Ernest Burnett: ok it must be much lower - for basic they have it at 512x288, and it's supposed to encode for HD, reg and mob
Ernest Burnett: nice ok that's good to know
Ernest Burnett: so 500MB is a good workable number to bounce around
Ernest Burnett: If I were to shoot for 2hrs I'd fit that 500MB container for starters?
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: That was just an example, it depends on the video and I would not be able to guess.
Ernest Burnett: not a problem just working loosely
Ernest Burnett: to get a feel for things, can adjust and stuff
Ernest Burnett: just need an opinion from someone smarter Silly
Ernest Burnett: ok - so assuming that I were to handle about 1000 viewers a show - this is the all critical - bandwidth only applies to the actual playing of the stream (ie. if the video were being accessed elsewhere on the site(
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Bandwidth will include everything being downloaded and uploaded to your server.
Ernest Burnett: have higer plans than the ones offered?
Ernest Burnett: just asking
Ernest Burnett: hypotheticals
Ernest Burnett: and
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Our next step up is a Flex Managed dedicated server:
Ernest Burnett: is ok to go in with others, so long as bills paid?
Ernest Burnett: Well I guess that's a how you decide to manage your own thing, thing
Ernest Burnett: I just one question Aaron, is A2 new or something?
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: No, we have been around since 2003.
Ernest Burnett: Why not heard of before or rated much, much higher?
Ernest Burnett: Customer service is great - only waited 1 min
Ernest Burnett: Knowledgeable by far, typo correction in chat
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Yes we do pride ourselves in our Guru Support crew. Please let us know if you have any further questions or anything we may assist with.
Ernest Burnett: Codeigniter, and you guys do quickinstaller WordPress, yes?
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Yes we do have Softaculous installer for WordPress.
Ernest Burnett: No that is all. I'll be looking at the hosting options soon, thank you for your time Aaron.
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: You're welcome! Have a great day.

You are now chatting with Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support (Sales/Support Chat)

Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Welcome to A2 Hosting Live Chat! How may I help you?
Ernest Burnett: hi aaron Happy
Ernest Burnett: sorry to bother your time!
Ernest Burnett: ok hosting plan ssl?
Ernest Burnett: I'll make quick
Ernest Burnett: something I can set up in future?
Ernest Burnett: and can set up multiple wp installs?
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Yes, we have SSL certificates.
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Yes you may install multiple WP instances.
Ernest Burnett: just to confirm, I actually need my own cert vs. shared? or can use shared when plan to sell from (own) hosted site
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: On a Managed VPS you will need your own certificate.
Ernest Burnett: oh i guess I should clarify
Ernest Burnett: I would plan to do vps and host separate
Ernest Burnett: 1 for site, 1 for stream
Ernest Burnett: (if attempting to look at)
Ernest Burnett: I don't know how to go about the vps thing just yet
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: So you would have a Managed VPS and a shared plan also, if I understand correctly?
Ernest Burnett: but I do know I want to move my host
Ernest Burnett: yes
Ernest Burnett: I want to be able to make use of wp 3.6 when it arrives, and I don't want to be contained by my host
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Our shared SSL can be setup and used on the shared plan, however, your sites would use our designated URL to access SSL, not your domain name.
Ernest Burnett: (the new post-types)
Ernest Burnett: ok - good to know...and I could offer ssh and do ssl that sort of thing - add to plan later?
Ernest Burnett: so when I come over, do you guys handle, or do I have to go in and do a domain release or something?
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: Yes you could get an SSL certificate later. You can either submit a transfer for your domain or just point it over via nameservers.
Ernest Burnett: nice
Ernest Burnett: thank you Aaron - let me look at my plan and figure out what I need to do to get off my billing cycle Happy
Aaron R. - A2 Hosting Support: You're welcome! Have a great evening.
Ernest Burnett: You too, cheers Happy

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove links on 05/13/2013 at 10:30 AM PT

Collapse -
Answer
Arvixe
by TicketsBenidorm / May 11, 2013 7:36 PM PDT

I have been with Arivixe now for 6 months and i must say that they have been brilliant. Highly recommended. Im a newbie so i have been in touch with their customer service so many times and they have just been lovely. And at 96 USD per 2 years, cant complain about anything!

Collapse -
Answer
Godaddy
by bwhcom / June 9, 2013 5:25 PM PDT

Goddady would be the one that I recommend they support both windows or linux server. also they always have promotion for their products.

Collapse -
I just don't want to hate them
by Marco450 / June 17, 2013 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Godaddy

I use Bluehost and I wouldn't say that I love them, but I am very much satisfied. Laugh

I am not concerned with loving them.

When it comes to hosting I just don't want to hate them Wink

Collapse -
KnownHost
by mackdesouza / June 20, 2013 6:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Godaddy

I love my hosting company. I use KnownHost Company for my website.

Collapse -
Answer
Hostgator
by Ahmed3335 / June 24, 2013 2:12 PM PDT

Hostgator is the best..(y)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.