The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Do you have a home network?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / August 24, 2005 6:27 AM PDT

Yes, with 2 computers (what type?)
Yes, with 3 computers (what type?)
Yes, with 4-5 computers (what type?)
Yes, with 6-10 computers (what type?)
Yes, with 10 or more computers (what type?)
No
I don't know

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do you have a home network?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do you have a home network?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
# and make of computers
by Smiley5 / August 25, 2005 10:14 PM PDT

I have three computers, all built by me, on my home network. My computer has an ASRock 775V88 motherboard, running a P4 3.2Ghz LGA775 processor, 2 DDR2 RAM 1GB, ATI Radeon 9600, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card (have had for three years) and a new 160GB harddrive. Running Windows XP Home with SP2. The other two computers are running 1.3Ghz and 1.4Ghz Athlons with 512MB of DDR and running Windows XP Home. All computers run well and am having no problems.

I like to build my own computers, as I like to decide what goes into the computers. The OEMs will use a motherboard that is maxed out. Hopefully my 3.2Ghz will suit me for a long time.

Collapse -
Mixed
by awj112 / August 25, 2005 10:37 PM PDT

I have a home-built AMD XP 3200+ desktop, a Dell 2.4Ghz laptop and if you include PDAs as computers, an iPaq. The iPaq comes in very handy for getting directions with Mapquest.

Collapse -
Home Network
by bogarterock / August 29, 2005 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Mixed

I have been responsible for each of my computers with the exception my my laptop w/ xphome, integtrated wireless, and dvd burner, 512 RAM, 64meg vid. i have totally reworked a compaq k62, maxed RAM to 384, 16 meg voodoo3 vid, 45 meg HD with 3 OSes xphome, windows 2k server, and RH9 in my garage.In my daughters rooms I have kept peripherials as close as i could(till older daughter pitched in to upgrade hers). Hers is a Celeron 700Mhz, 32 meg vid, 384 RAM, 40 gig HD running xphome. My younger daughter complains that her old PII 400 Mhz is too slow! 32 meg vid, 256 RAM, 4 gig HD. In my bedroom I have a Celeron 1.2, 64 meg vid, 512 RAM, 30 gig HD. A 2nd PC is xp2400, 1 gig RAM 128 meg Vid, two 19" monitors, TV Tuner, 80 gig HD and 45 gig 2nd HD, DVD burner/DVD drive, xpPro (and knoppix). All these are wired into a 125MBps wiresless router.In the living room I have built a P4 3.2 1 meg cache, 2 gig RAM DDR2, 256 meg vid, DVD burner/ DVD ROM, XPPro, 19 " crt .20 dot Pitch black Samsung for games! wireless card so no wire in living room.I only need a processor for 475pga board and I'll have a 2nd PC in garage for play! removeable HDs for different OSes and will be wired in also.

Collapse -
Home Network
by suseeq / August 25, 2005 10:26 PM PDT

I don'thave a home network yet. I plan to set one up shortly so I am reading all the information I can about setting one up to run at least 2 computers ..possibly three.It is not so confusing now but I still need to get a bit more information. I am finding CNet forums and Q/A very helpful.Thank you to all and to CNet .
Susan

Collapse -
HOME network
by sharee100 / August 25, 2005 11:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Home Network

I'm a 54 yr old woman. I built my two computers and set up my home network myself. I have a tv tuner in both and hooked up cable myself. yay women's lib. No, really, it's easy to hook up a network. Just make sure you have latest drivers (which won't be on the cd).

Collapse -
(NT) Why home network:
by SpamHater / August 25, 2005 10:27 PM PDT

My kids have computers in their rooms & I have a primary computer & a laptop. My son never gets on internet & my daughter only rarely uses internet except for working on school projects, but she does like to IM with her friends (and some times when I see she's online, I might send her an IM to tell her to do something). I have their computers set to automatically download updates & keep the antivirus programs up-to-date so, even my son's computer needs internet connection for that. I also have a printer connected through network server so it can be available to all computers without one computer having to be on all the time. My router has a built in firewall that also allows me to block specific sites from being accessed. I have VNC installed on the kids' computers, so I can always check to see what my daughter is doing on her computer (particularly when she has friends over and they want to get online). It's also great to be able to transfer files between the different computers (mp3s, digital photos, and other documents). If my son goes to bed without shuting down his computer, I can use VNC to shut it down from mine without going in his room. I ran CAT5 through the walls & have jacks in the kids' rooms & behind the central located printer. My computers are set up for wireless because I move them around. I also have extra jack & cable where I sit most because I'm usually working on someone else's computer and it's good to be able to download new drivers & firmware directly to computer that needs them, plus I can copy their important files onto my very large harddrive for safe storage if I decide to reformat, then just transfer them back to the newly cleaned computer. BTW, most common thing wrong with malfunctioning computers is spyware & addware crippling perfomance and sometime the only way to clean it up is to reformat & reload.

Collapse -
Home Networking
by angielawrence / August 25, 2005 10:36 PM PDT

I have two computers on a home network and need some help with it working. somemtimes it does, now it does not. It use to work if I temporarily disabled Norton Internet Worm protection and then the network was okay, now it does not work. I have XP on both machines and they are fairly similar in what they have, one a laptop and one a desktop. It would be nice to have some hints on how to get my network to communicate. Any other similar problems?

Collapse -
Yes I have the only really(internet) safe network 2 machines
by LlewellynA / August 25, 2005 10:40 PM PDT

I am running Xandros (linux) as the internet connected machine, with a win 98 machine in the lan both have full access to the internet (through the Xandros firewall with "shields up" showing evry port fully stealthed.

No bugs - no spy-ware - no virus problems it has been running for over 1 year without a flaw.
All e-mail is collected on the Xandros machine.

I would even consider using XP on the second machine it is that safe, but I am quite happy with w98se.

Collapse -
Home network
by campbl / August 25, 2005 10:42 PM PDT

My network has two desktop computers, and one laptop.

Collapse -
Do You have a Network at Home
by AlanPhipps / August 25, 2005 10:46 PM PDT

I have 4 PC's at home. My Desktop, which I built myself running an AMD 2800 a Gigabyte MotherBoard, and 1 Gb RAM, (The whole lot is getting old now) and a Packard Bell Laptop with same AMD and Memory config. I use the Laptop for work and recently introduced a ZyXel wireless card to match with a ZyXel 662HW- 4 port switch with wireless capability built in. My desktop is wired into a small home network which we installed when the house was renovated 3yrs ago. My wife runs a laptop, with a second ZyXel card and my adult son uses his Laptop Wirelessly and a Desktop directly connected to the Network. We have a 24 port patch frame under the stairs with about 15 ports populated for a mix of Voice or Data and all cabling runs back to it. The incoming Broadband link terminates next to the patch frame and links into the ZyXel Access Point. The cross conect from the AP to the Patch frame gives me 4 Gigabit switched ports and any roaming into the Garden or other rooms when using laptops, is taken care of with the Wireless capability. I only recently came across ZyXel, but find it is so simple to set up and the PC's did a self search and found it with no effort from me. Running at 54mbs, it is a fast and so far, reliable Network addition, which costs about the same as the cheap brands in the retail stores, but offers better functionality than Cisco. The whole system cost me about

Collapse -
lan
by stew32 / August 25, 2005 10:56 PM PDT

I have 6 computers (all macs) connected on a lan network. Mine is a eMac with 512mg ram the others consist of 2 iMacs, 2 powerbooks and a ibook. All hoocked together using a airport that hasnt failed us once. We have 512k broadband at the moment but our provider (Demon) is upgrading it to 2mg for free! I've tryed Windows but its just of much of a hassle.

Collapse -
Home network
by oldlady2 / August 25, 2005 11:03 PM PDT

I have a d-Link wireless G in Turbo mode network between 2 desktops (home built), and one Averatec laptop. Could add PDA with Compact Card connection but probably would be B wireless and slow down in entire network. My only gripe is there are no wireless printers running at the 108 speed, nor is there any print servers running above 54. The only way around this to keep speed from dropping would be to connect all computers with NIC card for printing-somewhat complicated.

Collapse -
3 PCs
by JohnChod / August 25, 2005 11:23 PM PDT

Internet access via cable modem. Main computer is a Dell 2.6 GHz running XP SP2. My daughter's computer is an MGD 2.8 GHz which I have connected via ethernet cable. (We moved last year and the basement needed a new ceiling, so I was able to run the cable through the basement and then hide it with the new ceiling tiles. Holes in the floor were created by my cable company for installing cable so I didn't have to worry about drilling myself - although I did have to make one hole a little bigger.) I also have an old Compaq K62-500MHz machine in my basement. This one is running wireless.

Collapse -
"MGD"?!!!
by MRBOWTIE / August 26, 2005 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: 3 PCs

"Miller Genuine Draft"?!! I didn't even know they were in the computer business! First NASCAR, then pc's...what next?!! Happy

Collapse -
home networking
by Steffo / August 25, 2005 11:28 PM PDT

2 wireless notebooks and 1 PC connected to a wi-fi ADSL modem-router.

Collapse -
What Network???
by joe sage / August 25, 2005 11:43 PM PDT

If I answer NO or DON'T KNOW, I am not sure what type of network I do not have!!!!

Collapse -
No, deliberately so
by photobuff55 / August 25, 2005 11:43 PM PDT

We have four computers and three printers because I DON'T want a network. While all of them have firewalls and antivirus (in some cases, more than one of each), inevitably someone gets "bit" and I don't want that shared! My husband connects to a network where he works, and more than once I've had to clean up his machine afterward. My kids connect to who knows what, and they are constantly complaining about the popups and other stuff as a result. I take as many precautions as I can, but I just don't want their junk on my machine! We have to have at least one that works, don't we? I spend at least one evening each month cleaning up their messes. Yes, I have the tools - Spybot is a lifesaver - but nonetheless the time is spent in maintenance that is a result of their usage. No need to spread the disease!

Collapse -
Do yu have a home network?
by yunique / August 25, 2005 11:58 PM PDT

Yes, I have two computers and one laptop. I did not build any of my computers although I bought them at computer shows and all 5 (two not connected at all) have run well since I've bought them all. One computer directly connecting to router with other desktop and laptop wireless bound. I use an SMC router which has been super slow (it's 3 years old) and I'm now upgrading to the Netgear WGU624 router and WG511U pc card. I hope this faster and newer setup is just that - FAST.

Collapse -
Home networks and how!
by bigduke / August 26, 2005 12:49 AM PDT

We have 7 Macs on networks. Four are laptops. And two printers. Scanner is firewire that will plug into most of our laptops and the flat screen iMac. The house was wired (by me) for ethernet and that still is the connection to our original laptop and laser printer. Extreme Airport talks to most machines as well. The hardwired laptop is over 10 years old and still funcions well for records, finances and oldie but goodie programs.

So far so good. A router/firewall is primary interface to the new DSL modem. (we got tired of local Comcast lack of support -- read service calls taking over a week.) DSL is not quite as fast, but it piggy backs on the regular phone line. (A prior DSL had its own line.) Because I wired the house for many phones, we only used one of the filters in the conversion. One feeds all lines but the one the modem is plugged into. Works fine.

We use UPS's on all fixed machines and unplug laptops in storms. My wife's sewing machine is on a UPS as well. It has computer controled stiching. I shudder at the replacement cost of same.

The only necessary thing not on a UPS is the furnace and I am thinking about a static converter for that service. Any hints on that are welcome.

duke

Collapse -
Home Network
by squirri / August 26, 2005 1:25 AM PDT

We have 4 Macs, 2 Desktop & 3 laptop PC's. PC's are all XP Pro, Macs a mix of OS9 and OSX (Tiger and Panther).

We have a cable modem connection that goes into the gateway Mac - an OS9 box with 2 Network cards in it, Runs IPNET Router from sustworks(http://www.sustworks.com). This is a superb piece of software - it does NAT and packet filtering, is incredibly easy to set up and is very, very stable(the OSX version looks even better). If you need help, their technical support is superb(and no, I'm not a stockholder). As it's *not* a PC it is not vulnerable to any of the various attacks that Windows gateways suffer from. Even if I got rid of the other Macs(which I won't) I'd still keep one as a gateway machine.

The 'inside' IP address of this machine is 192.168.0.1 and it acts as the gateway for all the other machines on the network. We also have a Dlink WAP as all the laptops have 12 or 54 MB wireless on them - this works well, although the range is a bit limited - our house is brick, so 'side-on'walls can be a problem. I restrict the Wireless PC's to a narrow range(80-90) so I can keep track of what's going on! The rest of the gear is a mixture of Netgear and Belkin switches - whatever was cheaper at PC-World at the time. . Wiring is CAT5 It all runs at 100MBit/sec. We can easily transfer between machines, so files bought home from work can be moved over to PC or Mac(this is especially easy using OSX). All the machines share Mac connected printers - again, the CUPS system built into OSX makes sharing even USB printers between Macs and PC's easy.

All the XP machines run the Windows firewall; the Macs run the OSX FW. We run virus checkers on all the machines, plus spybot, adaware, MS Sptware on the PC's. Firedox is our prefferred browser(with the adblock extension). Despite all of this, I had to rebuild one PC that got a nasty dose of malware - as the data was backed up it was quicker to reinstall rather than go through all the hassle(SAFE mode, run,reboot, run another....) of trying to get it clean. This was my daughters laptop and she is away from home for 8 weeks at a time, plus it's connected to a college network.....

Collapse -
Mac Help
by snofoot / September 14, 2005 5:05 AM PDT

Boy would I like to get a schematic of what you did to accomplish this network. Sounds like all the stationary macs are hardwired and the laptops use airport. I may have everything wired Ok (I use firewire between laptop and G-4 with no problem) but don't understand how to work with the old SCSI OS-8.6/9.1 and the newer OS X to thansfer data. Any help would be really appreciated

Collapse -
home network - Best thing since sliced bread
by joycee98 / August 26, 2005 1:06 AM PDT

I have a home network run from a router, the conections run from a Telewest Broadband modem Via a Crossover Ethernet RJ45 cable, into a cheap Broadband router from eBay. I then have 3 straight Ethernet RJ45 cables, 2 of which run to my computer, and my partners computer. The 3rd Ethernet RJ45 I use when building and repairing computers, so I can just plug them in and update the drivers and Windows before passing them back to their owners. The router is not a big name, in fact I had never heard of the makers, but it has worked fine for 2 year now without a hitch and is very Fast. The thing about using the router is, apart from sharing computers, you do not have to depend on anybody else's computer being swithced on as a host,because the router is really seen as the host. The worst thing you can do is decide to sit down and read the manual first, even if you are good with the technoligy. All the instructions for setting up only make sense if you are actually sitting in front of your computer, and following the instructions step by step. Just sitting down and reading the instructions will make you think " I can never do this" but believe me you can. Once it is set up it is brilliant. You will never know if you do not try! By the way I am a woman, and not only that I am 58 years old.

Collapse -
Home Network
by gwats1957 / August 26, 2005 1:39 AM PDT

I've got 4 computers on my home network...2 desktops, 2 laptops, all Apple computers with firewalls on each CPU and another on the wireless router.

Collapse -
Just installed wireless! Now Printer???
by emama / August 26, 2005 2:03 AM PDT

I just installed a Linksys wireless router for my Dell 2400 Desktop and my Dell Inspiron 8600 Laptop.
Now - my husband and I will no longer compete for internet time!
The installation was as easy as pie - took all of 15 minutes. My question - I have designated one of my printers to be shared on the desktop. I should be able to print from my laptop via the wireless network, right?
When I try to add the shared printer with the add-printer wizard on laptop - I browse for my printer but it can't be found.
Both systems run Windows XP - SP2.
THanks

Collapse -
Not all networking equipment are created equal...
by rexenne / August 26, 2005 2:03 AM PDT

I gotta tell yah, when we first decided to link our two computers wirelessly...it seemed simple enough...and there was a sale on LinkSys products, and so as you can imagine I bought a Linksys brand Router and reciever. It was a huge mistake. Upon getting it home and hooking everything up, we tried option after option and even called customer service and THEY couldn't even figure out what the heck was the matter, but the LinkSys equipment did not ever work correctly and never linked the computers. I took them back to the store (Staples) the same day I purchased them and exchanged them for Belkin. I must say, Belkin is 10 TIMES EASIER to set up than Linksys and much more savy for people who can get around computers, but don't know everything about them. With Belkin products we were able to finally connect the two computers to the broadband connection and to network them so that one is accessable from another. It took, just like the package says, less than 10 minutes to complete and have the network up and running...correctly. Am I plugging Belkin products? YES! Because everything we have purchased from Belkin has worked correctly at what they were created to do with no jumping through hoops (Unlike LinkSys), changing hardware to accomidate the products, and works efficiently the first time around.

Collapse -
4 computer home network
by claytonn / August 26, 2005 2:14 AM PDT

I have a 4 computer home network with a wireless ISP provider (no cable or DSL available). The wireless ISP uses and outdoor antenna and a radio that terminates into an Ethernet with DHCP - run that into the router and go wired / wireless to the rest of the house. (I did pick frequencies different than the wireless ISP provider to avoid conflicts). Works well, printer sharing, and Internet access with a few public files on one machine, and a password protected folder on the Win 98se box.

I just wish Windows XP would allow a shared folder with a simple password that worked like windows 98 (share level access). So, I use windows XP as the end user machine and windows 98se as the server, seems kind of backwards....but can't do a simple password on XP for any user.

Collapse -
Home Network
by incognito19 / August 26, 2005 2:50 AM PDT

I have a home network that i built myself using linksys wireless router. I built my main computer, Asus motherboard,AMD 2600 overclocked to 3200, 1Gig of 3200,400fsb,80 and 60gig hard drive. Nvidia 6600gt agp video card overclocked. I also have a gateway laptop with a 64 bit 3400 processor with a gig of ram,I also have a Dell 2300 with a 1.8gig processor. I also got my Xbox tied into the network wirelessly on verizon dsl. Runs very good never had a problem with it.Looking to build another computer in the next year or so.

Collapse -
Home Network..
by paulus2005 / August 26, 2005 3:28 AM PDT

My home network is a mixture of wireless and wired.
Running a 3COM wireless ADSL Modem Router I run the laptop wirelessly (and then allow others to use that connection). 8 Computers are wired in (2 of which are 2003 Servers). Variety of XP Pro, XP Home, Windows 2000 and Windows98. Looking to convert one PC to Linux when I have a chance.
All the computers except the servers are DHCP driven, currently do not run a domain (although one of the servers is a domain controller).
Generally speaking this has been an easy network to maintain - only problems have been obtaining IP addresses wirelessly - something peculiar with the router I reckon.

Collapse -
Do you have a home network? - Yes and its all Apple!
by jsgmiami / August 26, 2005 2:44 AM PDT

I used windows computers and had 3 of them in my home, but I got very tired of fixing them for whatever reason. So now I am using MAC OSX and could not be happier. I am no longer having to fix the computers. Now I can focus on using them. I was so happy with the ipod, cinema display that I bought my first mac. After 3 months, I purchased 2 iMacs for my children. I could careless about windows. I still have to put up with them at work.

Collapse -
Four computers, no home network.
by Kat4547 / August 26, 2005 2:50 AM PDT

We have 2 Dells that we use to go online, and another Dell and a Compaq that are just used for games. Where we live we can't get any kind of high speed internet access except satellite, and we can't afford the $800 to get it set-up and then $70 a month to use. We use dial-up for Earthlink and have a dedicated basic phone line for that, which runs us about $40 a month total. Anyone out there over 50... if you're a member of AARP, you can get an AARP discount on your service from both AOL and Earthlink. We get Earthlink unlimited service for under $20 a month! I don't know if any of the other ISPs offer it, but you can ask.
If we had DSL or one of the other high speed services available we'd probably network the two online Dells, but the way it is, it's just not worth the hassle. Besides, I have my computer configured my way and hubby has his configured his way, and they're very different, so we'd be arguing over that all the time! Again, not worth the 'hassle'! Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.