How To forum

Question

do wireless printers also work with usb connections?

by dhanson444 / September 22, 2011 1:35 AM PDT

Now add some detail so that smart CNET users (like you!) can answer. If you're lucky, a CNET editor might choose your topic for a How To article or video.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: do wireless printers also work with usb connections?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: do wireless printers also work with usb connections?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Most wireless printers also have a USB connection
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 22, 2011 6:28 AM PDT

that will allow you to directly connect the printer to your computer

However, it is not unusual for the printer to only be capable of doing one type of connection at a time.

Either use it wirelessly for everything
or
Use it with a USB connection for everything

NOT a mixture of both

P

Collapse -
Answer
USB answer
by themorn2112 / September 22, 2011 8:38 AM PDT

I currently have a wireless Laser printer (Samsung ML2525W). If it has a USB port, it should work. Each input is considered a port with its own assigned port number, so to use one or the other you have to change which input the printer will accept data from.

Collapse -
Really?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 22, 2011 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: USB answer

Perhaps you could explain how that is done on your printer

Collapse -
Answer for "Really?"
by themorn2112 / September 22, 2011 5:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Really?

In the case of my printer (similar on many printers), You go into devices and printers (select in start window or in hardware devices from the control panel), right click on the printer icon, then printer properties or printing preferences. In that window you see a selection of port options (in my case I have a choice of port number, or USB selection). Your options may vary depending on your operating system and/or the driver used for your selected printer (I use Windows 7, and Samsung's universal printer driver).

I also have a Canon multi function printer with each function having its own port input number assigned to it, even though I have only one ethernet connection.

Bottom line is that you can only use only one type of port input for each function on your printer but the options are manually interchangeable.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.