PC Applications forum

General discussion

Do Registry Cleaners Really Work??????

by J4R3D / January 6, 2008 12:40 PM PST

Ok so my computer has been running quite slow recently so I checked the forums for a Registry Cleaner to see if it would help any. I downloaded this free trial of Registry Fix to soon find out I had over 1000 errors on my computer. I was quite surprised. So I bought the key which was $40.00... and cleaned it all up... I guess. Things I guess seem to be working fairly good again, I don't know.... Anyways, I thought I would download another program just because and see what it said. I downloaded at random Netcom 3, which does the same thing. Turns out I still have over 600 errors?????? Even after my other program I paid 40 bucks for said I was error free... So basically I hate life now.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do Registry Cleaners Really Work??????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do Registry Cleaners Really Work??????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by John.Wilkinson / January 6, 2008 12:57 PM PST

Registry cleaners work by searching for potentially obsolete entries. They don't necessarily, or usually, constitute errors, per se, and cleaning them up doesn't offer any real performance increase on modern systems. Now and then they'll help by removing old entries that are preventing the associated program from being reinstalled or causing erroneous behavior, but they're also prone to removing valid entries that can cause programs, and even Windows, not to work. Thus, it's a mixed bag, and I'd never pay for a registry cleaner. Instead, I run RegSeeker (freeware) every once in a while, which is comparable to many of the paid cleaners. None of them catch everything, but it's actually better to err on the side of caution than maximize the removal of keys and end up causing a problem instead of solving one.

Collapse -
I tend to agree.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 6, 2008 6:16 PM PST
In reply to: Well...

You didn't say which OS you are using, but if it is Windows XP then the registry there is much more robust and forgiving that the registry from previous versions. Meaning it can take rogue and obsolete entries without any major loss in performance.

If your computer is running slow then you need to look elsewhere. Can you give us more details? Do you mean slow to start up and/or shutdown, or slow performance, slow internet?

Tell us more about your computer. The note in red font above each posting box tells you what we need to know. Also, what house-keeping do you do? What anti-malware protection do you use?

Collapse -
I have several Registry cleaners..........
by Computer Hobbyist / January 18, 2008 12:18 PM PST
In reply to: Well...

I have several Registry cleaners and each has a purpose. Win XP Manager, (costs $), saved me as it can remove programs files that Windows can not remove in Control Panel. I also use RegCure, (costs $), and CCleaner which is freeware.

Collapse -
Beware of regcure
by zenonp / March 16, 2011 2:13 PM PDT

I downloaded a "trial" version and it said it found problems ... then would not let me get out without paying. I went round and round and finally paid. That was a mistake. I don't know what it did but several of my programs stopped working and I had to spend time on the phone with the programs' support lines before they worked again. Some of the problems were not the fault of RegCure but the programs themselves (e.g. HP printer which had entries that pointed to nothing). Then I was told that most registry cleaners tend to do that!!!

Collapse -
Most registry cleaners do that
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 16, 2011 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Beware of regcure

And that is why we stay away from registry cleaners. They do not know what is relevant or not.

Collapse -
Are these "errors"? My example is..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2008 9:45 PM PST

I take a clean install of Windows and these products claim to find errors. But as I examine some of the errors I find these can be used later by other Windows features I may or may not install. Yes, for the clean install these were not needed but were they needed by the install?

Backing in the Windows ME and prior version this was useful to toss out and there were performance issues but today it's a doubtful tool when things are working.

Collapse -
I have to disagree, I use PC tools registry mechanic and...
by jmwren / January 18, 2008 12:04 PM PST

it's awesome. It has fixed even a blue screen error that was caused by a bad install of a usb device. It kept telling me that a usb device was not installed properly and would not let me boot. I used registry mechanic and it was fixed. A few months later it happened again (cause I plugged my cell phone up before installing software then it couldn't find the driver.. these are the type of things that happen) So I ran it again and it fixed it. Everytime I called tech support they wanted me to reformat and I just don't have time for that. I can't say enough good things about this program it even sets a restore point for system restore to go back to in case you are not happy. I have never had to do that as it only deletes orphaned files that slow down your system. Like when you install or delete programs and the uninstaller didn't get rid of it all... It has no use anymore. That kind of thing. Anyway it's definately recommended in my book. PS: It is a very fast scan and fix too.

Collapse -
registry cleaners only cleans your pocket!
by donald baxter / January 18, 2008 4:53 PM PST

i have tried several registry cleaners, probably 4. each one gave a different no. of problems to clear, cleared some,left some.why can't the vista defender or some other program in vista does it when it it really,really neccessary?is there a really one in all program which keeps my computer fit and fighting all the devils out there(and some i happen to sneak in,sorry!).BILL GATES, ARE YOU LISTENING, or do i have to design one myself someday?i am a novice.don

Collapse -
First, Do No Harm
by jplutchok / January 18, 2008 9:15 PM PST

The debates continue to rage over whether registry cleaners really help. However, I think the first question is, do they hurt? Some are more aggressive than others, or less carefully programmed. And some hurt your wallet, whereas equally good ones are free.

I have used a number of free and shareware registry cleaners and degragmenters in preparation for an upcoming review in my <a href="http://jonathanstoolbar.blogspot.com">free utilities blog</a>. I have stuck with well-known programs from established publishers that gain good reviews in Download.com and other download sites, and so far (knock wood) none has hosed my computer.

Among the most popular and apparently effective free registry fixers are Advanced Windows Care Personal, CCleaner, and nCleaner. These include a number of other useful functions, too. They appear to be just as effective and safe as the well-regarded shareware utility suites I have tried too, including Ashampoo WinOptimizer, Glary Utilities, and Elcor Premium Booster.

These programs overlap each other greatly in functionality, so you should be OK by choosing one and sticking with it. On the other hand, one might detect errors that another misses, so it won't hurt to use two or three, either.

I hope this is helpful.

Collapse -
Registry Cleaner App
by tosim91 / January 18, 2008 11:21 PM PST
In reply to: First, Do No Harm

For a really good Reg Cleaner, free, checkout "Wise Registry Cleaner", and also "Wise Disk Cleaner" (free), which you run first.

Collapse -
Reply-First Do No Harm
by helene_okc / January 22, 2008 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: First, Do No Harm

Thank you, spent some time in PC Advisor, reading "75 ways to Make your PC Like new"...Anyhow they talaked about registry cleaners, and other System Resource tools. I too as others, was wondering if one was any better than the other. I have been running Registry Genuis, with no problems. Today I downloaded free, CCleaner, through PC Advisor.I did try to download it through www.Piriform.ccleaner, but it did not download. What I have read, may work better than what I have already used, plus has some added features, as you already mentioned. I also apprciate you mentioning that I can use 2, it can't hurt. Thank you Helene

Collapse -
Reg cleaners!!
by smosner / January 18, 2008 11:42 PM PST

Yes, they work just fine and clean up the old files and temps left over from taking in files and out. I have a frre one that works great, call eusing, just go to www.eusing.com

Collapse -
Registry Cleaners
by OttifantSir / January 19, 2008 12:45 AM PST

I have tried a few of these, and all in all, I can say they have helped me out a great deal. The one I have decided to stay with is Auslogics Boostspeed (a suite of utilities, including regcleaner).

One example is boot-speed. I count how many times the slider under the Windows-logo go across the screen to see if I get an improvement. I downloaded the trial and searched the registry. At that time, the slider ran for 22-26 times before booting Windows. I paid to get the ability to clean the registry (trial only diagnose, doesn't clean). After having cleaned the registry, the slider usually runs 4-8 times across the screen now. The other aspects of my day-to-day computing also sped up after this. Starting OpenOffice Word Processor took 2 minutes before this, apx 25-45 secs after.

The program I recommend to all those not willing to pay for Boostspeed is CCleaner. It's fast, efficient and easy to use. If I understood the registry better myself, I would probably use HiJackThis, but that's a bit higher up in education than where I am right now.

To summarise and answer your question: Registry cleaners work. But not all of them work good. The only regcleaners I trust, are Boostspeed, CCleaner and HiJackThis (but I don't know registry well enough to use it without a How-To)

Collapse -
Registry Cleaners
by gerette / January 19, 2008 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: Registry Cleaners

Hello. Can anyone tell me if a registry cleaner would assist with outlook express run time error problems? thanks kindly

Collapse -
registry cleaners... groan
by chief1234 / January 19, 2008 4:10 AM PST

I've repaired several PC's that have had errors possibly due to registry cleaners. My advice: don't use a registry cleaner unless absolutely necessary. They don't actually speed up your computer (much), they're more risk than benefit. The best way to speed up your PC: defragment your hard drive once a month.

Collapse -
Registry Cleaners
by puckster615542000 / January 19, 2008 7:56 AM PST

I use the following: Advanced Windows Care V2 Personal and Reg Scrub XP---they work for me and the thing that is really cool is that they are FREE!!! The Reg Scrub XP I let the program "find" the crapola and then I like select "all" & delete! The Advanced Windows Care V2 Personal not only finds Registry errors but spyware, cookies, history and is really a sweet program to run and EASY! And no, I have never had either of these delete programs that make my PC work, has NEVER changed the language from English to pig-latin, etc!!

Collapse -
Re Registry Cleaners
by nil desperandum / January 19, 2008 1:13 PM PST

I see that Advanced Windows Care FREE version is no longer supported. I tried the latest monumental version and gave up and went back to the previous "free" version ... Loh & Behold that has now been put to into the graveyard in the sky. !

Collapse -
Are you sure?
by morrie 52 / January 19, 2008 8:33 PM PST
In reply to: Re Registry Cleaners

Advanced Windows Care V2 Personal is supported there was a recent update and their is updates for its data base,last one on the 17th.This is a excellent tool that has never caused me any problems,allied with I Obit Defrag tool 4.03 Beta which defrags all the time keeps my computer running sweet,open XP own defrag tool and do analyse the system,view report and it always shows do not bother to defrag proving its working well?

Collapse -
Apro Pro to what I said in previous massage.
by morrie 52 / January 19, 2008 9:00 PM PST
In reply to: Are you sure?
Collapse -
AWC---Advanced Windows Care
by puckster615542000 / January 20, 2008 7:37 AM PST
In reply to: Are you sure?

Yes, that is correct---it is indeed still supported otherwise I would not have mentioned it----hahahahaha!!Oh, and it works excellent!! And for XP platform that RegScrubXP is sweet! CCleaner always has been a fav and somehow I have a different Yahoo Anti-spy on one of my desktops----something called C A I believe---sorry but I am not at that particular desktop presently so I am trying to remember from memory---lol! My laptop has the reg Yahoo Anti-spy as does this desktop.

Collapse -
AWC Free is still available and supported
by JonathansToolBar&Grill / January 19, 2008 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: Re Registry Cleaners
Collapse -
Do registry cleaners really work?
by The Masked Villain / January 19, 2008 11:55 AM PST

While on line with Dell recently, they took control of my PC, downloaded, and installed CCleaner.com v2.03.532. Then ran it. I wont go into how it did on this, or that. What I want you to take note of, is that a big company like Dell was using it. Take that for what it's worth. For now, it's still on my desk top, and I've made no move to un-install it. Hope this helps you.

Collapse -
2 cents
by uninteresting / January 21, 2008 3:21 AM PST

I had the same problem on XP and ran the free CCleaner. Unfortunately, since I am not all that computer savvy, I had it remove all the registry items that were obsolete. Yikes. Had to do a system restore to a date prior to the CCleaner, then ran PerfectDisk (30 day free trial, and be sure to read the reviews on CNet). That seemed to do the trick - it has an option to defrag the system files that XP's defrag won't let you touch. Speed has improved and the alleged memory leak I was having with firefox has almost disappeared. After the 30 day trial is up, I'll be buying PerfectDisk. 40 bucks is a steal compared to the dozens of hours and frustration I spent banging my head against a wall.

Collapse -
Registery Cleaner
by jrap330 / February 1, 2008 6:04 AM PST

Your problem was you paid $40 for just a reg cleaner. You should buy a whole PC suite for $20-$40 (rebate).

But the debate is on....if you really need to clean your registery.

Collapse -
by Brmill / February 15, 2008 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: Registery Cleaner

I have try many registery cleaner the best one I have found is call CCleaner it is free, just asking for donations. http://www.ccleaner.com

Collapse -
Confirmed tests
by Alanra / June 14, 2008 8:46 AM PDT

On 06/14/2008, I installed Max Registry Cleaner, a 5 star rated reg cleaner software. I scanned and found 9655 errors in my registry, this was the Full scan. Then I installed Uniblue Registry Booster 2, another highly rated piece (ever notice all these types of programs are 'highly rated'?). Uniblue found 1566 errors. I could not find a full or custom scan setting anywhere. I went ahead and purchased Max (30 bucks) and performed the clean-up.
I run Windows XP Pro on a Dell 8300 motherboard with a 3.4 GHz Pentium with 3 gigs of RAM. It has been about 3 years since my last reformat and reinstall of windows. So my windows reg should be pretty messy. I have Diskeeper running all the time, so defrag is constantly on standby, running when needed.
Prior to running any of these scans, I timed my computer from a reboot to startup. This was timed from the moment I saw the bios loading until a specific splash screen came up for a certain piece of software...all things being equal, this remained quite constant (within 2-3 seconds) for the same amount of time. (Easier to note this at that point as how do you ever tell when windows is fully booted?) I timed it twice: 1 minute 18 seconds (1'18") and (1'19"). Yeah I know, slow sucker for what I have...must be time to reformat and dump all the garbage again...lol.
After Max cleaned my reg, my boot time went to 1'14" then 1'22" then 1'17". I timed it three times to be sure. Hmmm, not really any better. Then I ran the reg defrag that Max has, reboot time went to 1'15" and 1'23".
Needless to say I saw where this was going. By the way after I did the clean up and reg defrag, I reran the full scan, it found 8 more errors. But then I reran Uniblue, it still found 432 errors...LOL!!
Lastly, I installed RegCure, that one found 862 errors. Max Registry Cleaner and RegCure did have update features that I did use, both programs were the latest versions. Uniblue did not have an update feature that I could find. Also after I had purchased Max, I discovered that it has a one year subscription...
I did not try CCleaner yet...but I am suspicious that any of these really speed up your computer. Maybe if your computer is really old. Or maybe if you are really having registry error problems. I was not having any errors at all. I conducted this test to verify for myself the claims. Hope this helps, would like to hear if anyone else was as anal as me to sit and time the difference these programs may have made on their 'puters...lol.

Collapse -
A bunch of hooey.
by wendellwjackson / November 10, 2011 9:48 AM PST
In reply to: Confirmed tests

I bought Speed Max PC. I had to call them to register and activate. The man on the phone did some trickery and told me I need this repaired and that repaired, that if I took it some place like Best Buys it would cost me around $ 250.00 and then said he could do it for $ 79.00. I declined and just ran a complete scan with the paid ($29) program. Not only did my computer not run fast, it slowed it down to a begrudging crawl. I uninstalled the program and my computer ran much better. I think they are all a con to take your money and don't help at all. Now that is merely my opinion and I could be wrong. I think one should beware of anything bought online you down load to your machine. Good luck and happy hunting. God bless

Collapse -
Discouraging Registry Cleaners/Optimizers
by Bandido51 / November 30, 2012 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: Confirmed tests

I have run 6 registry cleaner/optimizing programs and I don't really know if they work or not, I guess that it is just like the saying " If it is't broken don't fix. This is what I have come up with on the top 10 registry cleaners.
If you install 1 and run/clean, it will show clean,try a backup, it will show issues, this is regardless of which program you install.
I had RegCure for about 7 years while also having PC Matic, Guess what they contradicted each other.
The truth is some will see certain things while others see something different, this by itself is not bad.
Cleaning the registry will NOT gane you any visible speed but it will delete any old, broken files that linger in your system.
The downside to this is that it might take out files that you do need for sleeping programs and files, of course I have not ran into this problem personally but I have read of thousands that have this issue, the thing is, do you really want to take that chance.
The problem is not that you might have registry issues but 70% of the time it falls on people not running the 3 most effective tools in Windows and if you run them in sequence like (1) disk Cleanup (2) Defragmenter and 3 CHKDSK/R, if you do this twicwe a month you should not have issues.
Also keep in mind that you should also run Internet cleanup and (PREFETCH) click on run, write prefetch and then click OK.
The problems are all from Microsoft Windows

Collapse -
Registry Cleaners
by Jacob344 / December 24, 2012 3:11 PM PST

I am using registry cleaner software from since my XP times.They work well on my computers.Tell whats your experience with registry cleaning softwares.

Collapse -
Re: Registry Cleaners
by johnmarsh12 / December 27, 2012 1:54 PM PST

I am also using Chily for Registry Cleaner Software from last 2 years and never got any problem with this utility. It is completely safe and secure, will improve you system performance.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.