Speakeasy

Rant

Do liberals find it even a little

by TONI H / November 29, 2012 12:26 AM PST

hypocritical and ironic that the person in negotiations (Geithner) today with Congress about tax increases on the 'wealthy', not only includes that person, but that he is a tax cheat and doesn't pay his taxes himself and yet is also in charge of our Treasury? I mean....can he even have credibility at that table?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do liberals find it even a little
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do liberals find it even a little
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When/If they do...they just don't respond.
by JP Bill / November 29, 2012 2:53 AM PST

YOU know how THAT works.

Collapse -
You just responded
by TONI H / November 29, 2012 3:27 AM PST

so why didn't you take the time to give your liberal opinion, too?

Collapse -
You want a response?
by JP Bill / November 29, 2012 3:54 AM PST
In reply to: You just responded

Explain this statement

doesn't pay his taxes himself

Does that mean he doesn't pay ANY Taxes?

Does it mean the Tax Fairy pays HIS taxes?

Explain yourself.

Collapse -
Here's a humerous bit of irony
by Josh K / November 29, 2012 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: You want a response?
Collapse -
and here
by JP Bill / November 29, 2012 4:21 AM PST

Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina was among those coming to Geithner's defense.

"These are huge times. Now is not the time to think in small political terms," Graham said. "I don't see any desire by the Republican Party to play gotcha on this. ... I think he's the right guy."

Collapse -
I didn't say
by TONI H / November 29, 2012 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: and here

anything about how others felt about Geithner heading the talks......I wondered how LIBERALS felt about it.

Collapse -
If "others" aren't liberals....
by JP Bill / November 29, 2012 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: I didn't say

then you're a liberal?

Collapse -
Romney didn't evade and paid what he owed
by TONI H / November 29, 2012 5:42 AM PST

Timuuuuuthhhy hasn't paid........big difference. So I guess Geithner is qualified to lead these talks in your opinion?

Really....the HuffPost?

Collapse -
And once again....
by Josh K / November 29, 2012 5:54 AM PST

....you don't know that, because he refused to release his returns.

Collapse -
He did...you just wanted more
by TONI H / November 29, 2012 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: And once again....

than what you were 'entitled' to have.

Collapse -
You're a PITA
by TONI H / November 29, 2012 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: You want a response?

The talks are about FEDERAL income taxes........he owes and hasn't paid.......

Collapse -
(NT) That still doesn't explain your statement.
by JP Bill / November 29, 2012 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: You're a PITA
Collapse -
I thought Canadians didn't count?
by grimgraphix / November 29, 2012 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: You just responded

Don't the conservatives who have claimed JP's opinion didn't count because he was Canadian find it a little hypocritical and ironic that his "liberal" opinion now is included in the conversation when it suits Toni's agenda?

Collapse -
His opinion doesn't count with me
by TONI H / November 29, 2012 5:38 AM PST

I just find it hypocritical on his part that he finds posts to target TO comment on, KNOWING his opinion isn't going to matter (vote) and it's done just to antagonize. BUT IF he is going to comment on one of my posts, and take the time to do so, why not voice another opinion?

So....you're a liberal, grim......what do you think about Geithner heading up those talks on increasing taxes?

Collapse -
whole discussion not worth two hoots
by Pepe7 / November 29, 2012 10:09 AM PST

So what if Tim's having tax issues? He's certainly no worse than the hypocritical right he's in talks with.
Bunch of lunatics at best, esp. the ones with the heavy southern drawls.

"Job creators", my posterior region.

Collapse -
Toni, I have to be honest and say that I have no opinion...
by grimgraphix / November 29, 2012 1:06 PM PST

... because I quit paying attention to politics/economics since the last presidential debate. Why? Because I manage a retail store and do web based advertising on the side, so I have literally no time to do anything but monitor metrics, drive sales, train seasonal staff to do their job, and keep up the new advert sales my web clients want me to post for them.

Tis the season to work my *** off, fa lala lala lalalala.

Wink

My personal opinion though, is that what has needed to be done has been obvious for years now. Cut expenses and raise revenue. I see no problem in going back to the same tax structure the country had during the Clinton admin. As for who is in charge of doing the right thing? Well (sigh)... I wish we could kick ALL the bums out and start over. I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Collapse -
Someone asked that question today
by James Denison / November 29, 2012 1:32 PM PST

Either it was Reid or I think someone else right after Reid made a speech blaming everything Republican for another Democratic failure. Specifically was asked why they weren't willing to go back to a Clinton era budget. Hem-hawed around and never really answered the question. The person was on CNBC. Maybe I can find a video clip of it. The upshot of it was obvious that doing both actions, including cutting was NOT what that person wanted, but was also wanting to walk around the Clinton era question.

Collapse -
I found some videos of interest
by James Denison / November 29, 2012 2:00 PM PST

I couldn't find the one I saw earlier, but these pretty much expose the whole sordid mess right now in Washington DC, and it's only the stonewalling by Democrats against cutbacks on spending that stands in the way of tax increases, and oh my, what a huge increase they want.

Pelosi
http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000132366&play=1

Harry Reid
http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000132295&play=1

Boehner
http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000132288&play=1

White House wanting 1.6 trillion tax increase and 50 billion in new spending.
And they're blaming the Republicans for not compromising?!!! Lies, and damned Lies
by the main Democrat leaders.
http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000132375&play=1

Sen. Rand Paul
http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000132134&play=1

Basically it seems the "fiscal cliff" is looking more and more like a salvation from what the Democrats want to stick America with, instead of something to simply be dreaded. The dread of what the White House and Democrats plan to do if they get their way is even worse. Unless the White House gets serious about compromise, I'd rather see us go over the fiscal cliff.

Collapse -
Boehner...."I'm not going to get into details."
by JP Bill / November 29, 2012 7:25 PM PST

WHY?

Neither side will get into "details", the devil is in the details.

You show me yours, then I'll show you mine. Details, that is.

Collapse -
Clinton stunned the Dem Convention by mentioning details
by grimgraphix / November 30, 2012 8:58 AM PST

... and many people (myself included) mentioned how much we admired him for it.

Why is it that I get the feeling that both parties want to let the nation go over the " Fiscal Cliff " just so they can point a finger at each other and say "I told you so"?

Collapse -
I thought the same even back right after the election
by Roger NC / November 30, 2012 9:06 AM PST

when both seemed to be so concilatory.

Even then it sounded like ground work for saying we tried but they wouldn't work with us.

Collapse -
the truth is .....
by James Denison / November 30, 2012 10:06 PM PST

....a forced budget caused by automatic, even draconian budget cuts and tax increases which satisfies neither side, may be the very grudging compromise that is needed to steer the ship of state back onto a safe course, out of the economic shoals it currently is headed to ground itself upon. It does offer both sides a unique opportunity to say "we tried, but those others...." while giving both sides some of what they want, where nobody can be directly blamed. It may be both sides have seen going over the fiscal cliff as the acceptable alternative, but just aren't willing to admit it?

Collapse -
But the cuts are required to be across the board
by Roger NC / November 30, 2012 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: the truth is .....

I was watching a discussion a few days ago. One man was saying the amount that the cliff will require the military to cut wasn't the largest problem for the military, it was the mandate that it cut equally across all areas. He was of the opinion the Pentagon could probably handle the cut if it was allowed to do it as it wanted to do, where it wanted to, and without interference from politicians saving a base or other military assests in their home district for local economics and political reasons rather than the best use and staging of military assets.

I'm sure my state is as guilty as anyone, we have a lot of military bases and it is a huge part of several different local and regional economies.

At this point I'm about ready to go with the taxes returning to what they were for everyone, forget the fight about who gets what, but do something to moderated the cuts, to make cuts rationally not draconically.

Collapse -
Of course we do. Nor in our eyes is he a liberal.
by Ziks511 / December 1, 2012 10:46 PM PST

Paul Krugman is a Liberal, Tim Geithner is a Wall Street opportunist only slightly less rapacious than the rest of the breed which makes him a strong Conservative but not a Rebarbative Right Wing Reject.

Credibility from a guy who has worked all his life on Wall Street??? Don't make me laugh.

I had a friend whom I knew at University whom I watched change from "one of the guys" mildly liberal into a take no prisoners Corporate shill in the course of 12 years. It was a sad situation. He died of Coronary Artery Disease at 54 having made and lost 3 fortunes. Fortunately he died on the made side of the equation so his wife and kids are fine.

Rob.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.