Laptops forum

General discussion

Do I wait for the Intel Core 2 Duo processors

by Rita Pajarita / July 4, 2006 7:01 AM PDT

I was about to order a Dell m1210 with a Dual Core T2500 processor and 2G of Ram. But I just read about the new Core 2 Duo processors being released at the end of August.

Should I wait?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I wait for the Intel Core 2 Duo processors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I wait for the Intel Core 2 Duo processors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How badly do you need the laptop?
by steve749 / July 4, 2006 7:14 AM PDT

That's the big Q...

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
How long? (never ending?)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2006 7:58 AM PDT

When that ships, you'll likely hear of the next soon to arrive CPU.

You may be waiting and waiting...

When you find your right spot of money and product, you might want to buy. Then again, why not wait?

Bob

Collapse -
I thought
by goldberg3971 / July 4, 2006 12:37 PM PDT

I thought Core Duo 2 was for desktops only.

Collapse -
No, there are 2 Core 2 Duo type of chips
by steve749 / July 4, 2006 1:23 PM PDT
In reply to: I thought
Collapse -
Crap
by goldberg3971 / July 4, 2006 3:19 PM PDT

Now I gotta get my MacBook after my vacation.

Collapse -
Upgrade?
by vfelix / July 5, 2006 1:22 AM PDT

Isn't their going to be an upgrade or something on the core duo?

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2006 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Upgrade?

This is why this issue/problem is a neverending cycle. One can wait for what's next, then when it arrives they find what's next.

Bob

Collapse -
Never ending cycle
by Rita Pajarita / July 5, 2006 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes.

I am in grad school while working full time. Classes are online and on weekends. I have been getting by with my old desktop, but barely. I am looking to buy a laptop to make life easier in regards to school.
I am definitely stuck in the cycle you were talking about. First i was looking at the Sony SZ back in april. Then I heard about the Dell M1210, and decided to wait for that. While waiting for the M1210, I read the story about the Dell Latitude D420, and i thought a business notebook would probably be a better fit for my needs. So I waited for the D420. I can't tell you how mad i was when the D420 was released and Dell only offered the Core Solo processor, plus there was no optical drive. That is when i decided to buy the m1210. And then i read about the Core 2 Duo. I am tired of waiting and am ready to breakout of the cyle.

This is what i am about to order from Dell:

- XPS M1210 Intel

Collapse -
insanely expensive
by mgwatson / July 5, 2006 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Never ending cycle

but you have about every add-on feature imaginable, and the warranty alone is worth about $300-400. at least you'll get some mileage out of it before your next upgrade. personally, i prefer to always buy second best technology with a minimum warranty (1 year usually), sell it when the warranty is about to expire, and upgrade to the newer second best technology. since i live in mexico most of the time, it's not too hard to unload good laptops at the same price i paid for them a year earlier.
if i didn't live in mexico i would probably do the same thing but on a two year cycle instead of every year.

i was going to buy a new dell this week but i just read about the core 2 duo chips and i was thinking of waiting until august because i know the current core duo chips will drop in price, and hopefully my little dream machine will be available for around $800.

Collapse -
Expensive: Yes. Insane: I don't think so
by Rita Pajarita / July 5, 2006 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: insanely expensive

It is expensive, but I don't change computers often, so I try to max everything out when i buy it so it lasts. My current Dell desktop i bought June '99 and still meets most of my needs, I just added a CD burner, RAM, and 2nd HD over the years.

Collapse -
Mexico is great for tech
by hamidsimba / July 7, 2006 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: insanely expensive

I also live in Mexico City and sell my laptops and digital cameras after 1 year at basically the original price, maybe minus 10%. Still, I am also waiting for Intel's Core 2 Duo chips to be able to run Vista at a better speed.

Collapse -
My kid is about to buy a laptop for college.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2006 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Never ending cycle

The compaq V2630US which is all of 549 bucks and lists the usual compliment of ...

? 512MB memory
? 80GB hard drive
? Burn & play DVDs & CDs via the Double Layer drive
? Built-in 802.11g wireless LAN networkability
? 6-in-1 memory card reader
Model V2630US

It's some 1.8GHz Turion so no slug. Compared to your 2,450, he'll keep nearly 2,000 to replace it in a few years with the next one.

You can go overboard.

Bob

Collapse -
You get what you pay for
by llubosfv / July 10, 2006 11:22 PM PDT

I can definatly admit that your system has a better cost:performance ratio, but I would not consider his $2400 system a waste of money by any means. The specs you listed look like the specs that are put on a compter at a retail store. They are the kind that grab the normal comsumers eyes, but don't really say that much about how good the system really is.

512MB memory: That is what Windows XP requires, so that is plenty, right? Well, depending on what your child does, the performance increase from 512 to 1024 can be huge. Also, don't forget that Windows Vista is only a few months away, and 512 will not be good for Vista. Also, your 512 is made up of 2 256 DIMMs, so you can't double your memory by buying just buying a new 512 stick since you would have to take one of you existing 256 out.

80GB hard drive: yes your laptop has 80% capacity of his, so it looks like it is not that different. But yours is only 4200 rpm vs his 7200 rpm. That will make a huge difference in performance.

The rest of the things you listed are pretty standard on laptops now days.

Besides those features you listed here are some other things to compare.:

Graphics Card: His graphics card will allow him to play games with MUCH better performance than yours. Although you card lists 128 MB for the card, that is 128 MB shared memory. Which means if it is using 128 MB, your laptop only has 384 MB for everything else.

TV Tuner: His laptop can be used as a TV. It can also act as a PVR and record TV. Yours can't.

Sound: I'm not sure about how good your sound card is, but his should give him much cleaner sound quality. This makes his laptop a much better choice to be used as a multimedia hub.

Warrenty: This is the biggest advantage his system has over yours. Laptops break. It is a fact of life. Dell's in home service is incredible. I have had motherboards die on my laptops and Dell has been there next day and replaced them. Being at school, this is HUGE. And most of the time it happens after you have had it a while. His laptop will last him 4 years for sure with that warrenty. Your son may be glad he saved $2000 since he may have to spend quite a bit on replacemt parts or a whole new laptop after that first year.

This may sound like I am knocking your kid's new laptop, but I am really not. All I am saying is that you get what you pay for. Just because someone doesn't go the cheap route, doesn't mean he is going overboard. Besides, a person with a 40 GB hard drive and a mobile Sempron could say that your kid has gone overboard too.

Collapse -
Yonah and Merom are pin-to-pin compatible
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / July 5, 2006 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Upgrade?

Every owner that own a Core Duo based laptop can upgrade the Yonah ( Core Duo ) for the Merom ( COre 2 Duo ) by simply put out Yonah and place the Merom on the socket. Same socket, same number of pins, same chipset, same motherboard ... the only difference between Yonah and Merom is that Merom has a few upgrade in term of technology like the Advanced SmartCache ( SmartCache in Yonah ), a better performance-per-watt ratio than the Yonah ( Yonah is about 30 % faster than a Single-Core if we disable one core ), SSE4 instructions sets ( for games ) and the biggest upgrade, the x86-64 instruction sets ( in other words, the 64 bits technology ).

For the upgrade, you must have the BIOS upgrade for your motherboard.

I will upgrade my Inspiron 6400 ONLY if 64 bits will make a big leap into our life, things that I don't beleive. Myh Windows Vista license and my Office 2007 license and also my 1 GB RAM bar will pass before the upgrade of my processor.

Collapse -
Upgrading
by GEWbert / July 5, 2006 6:41 AM PDT

2 questions about upgrading:

a) won't we have to get the company we bought the compputer to upgrade the comp, as opening the case often voids the warranty?

b) won't we have to pay $500 or so for the new processor? so in essence we're buying 2 processors (would the old one be resellable?)

Collapse -
Anwsers :
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / July 5, 2006 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Upgrading

The upgrade of the processor will void the warranty. It will not only if the manufacturer specify it because the upgrade is the "idea" of Intel. This last specify it in many repports so maybe the manufacturer will make a special, but I'm maybe dreaming !

The old processor will be resellable in the computer store where you bought the Merom ( usually in little store, not in BestBuy and big stores like this ) but the price will be reduce. The person will probably put it in a barberone laptop, a "home-made" laptop.

Collapse -
Core Duo 2=64bit?
by peter9788 / July 5, 2006 10:05 AM PDT

i've been asking myself the same question....should i wait?? I mean...if the new chip is going to be coming out within the next two months...then its WISE to wait and get the better technology. I mean, if it was a year long wait, then of course not, but depending on when you need it by (if its not urgent), then of course it is the better choice to just wait 2 short months.

furthermore, has intel confirmed that the core duo 2 is 64 bit?

Collapse -
Dell prices
by playcate / July 5, 2006 5:59 PM PDT

I?m also thinking about buying my first laptop, probably a Dell Inspiron E1505.Starting College this Fall/Autumn like many others looking to buy a laptop.
I?ve been looking at Dell?s and can?t really find anything that can compair in price after the rebates, coupons and offers.
1 - Is there any REAL competition? I seem to get everything at a good price.
2 - Are we sure the price of single core Core Duo?s will go down when the 64bit version comes out? Will it really be that more efficient on the battery when used with 32bit applications?
3 - Will these offers that can take over 35% of the total cost of a new laptop still be around in September, if I choose to wait? I?ve never really followed Dell?s marketing etc, but these offers look really good.
4 - The point someone else made about buy a much lesser system (not the second best) and "just" getting along. Is this really worth it in the long run? I?m looking at getting a couple of GBs or RAM to have some fun letting Vista kill my new toy. My patience would force me to use Windows 2k if I went for 512MB...

I?ve been beating myself up reading forums, reviews etc recently Silly A bit of clarity from someone else will go a long way!

Collapse -
back 2 school special
by peter9788 / July 9, 2006 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell prices

hey dude, dell always has a back to school sale and depending on which college you go to, you can also get a deal through your school. Furthermore, your major should dictate the specs of your laptop. You might also want to take a good look at the Toshibas and Macbooks, they both cost around 1000-1200 and they're dual core.

Collapse -
When do they start?
by playcate / July 9, 2006 4:38 PM PDT
In reply to: back 2 school special

With so many Dell offers coming and going, I?m not sure if they?ve started or not.
I?ve been looking at Toshibas, but I can?t seem to get the same level hardware for the price (RAM, graphics, etc.) And Mac?s are a no-no from my experience with them.
Does Dell anounce the offer as "back to school special"?
Thanks!

AJKA

Collapse -
usaully august
by peter9788 / July 10, 2006 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: When do they start?

just wait till august.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.