Networking & Wireless

Question

Do I wait for an ac USB 3.0 router?

by Tommccarthy140 / July 24, 2012 10:43 PM PDT

Hi,

I want to make a major router upgrade and buy something cutting edge and future proof. I want a router for home networking (streaming movies) and to connect a USB HDD (I have a USB 3.0 HDD) to for sharing on the network. However I am really stuck with what to buy and whether to wait. So I have a few questions I would really appreciate some advice on:

1. I don't have any ac compatible hardware, but should I still go for ac, knowing I will have this router for several years, or get a good dual band non-ac router?

2. I would really like quick network access, therefore is it worth getting a router with a USB 3.0 connection (which I don't think any of the current ac routers have). I have read somewhere that the router CPU is always the bottleneck and even if you have 3.0, it will make little difference, can anyone advise (or do they know of a good router which is set up for fast HDD access)?

Thank you in advance for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Tom

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I wait for an ac USB 3.0 router?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I wait for an ac USB 3.0 router?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You can wait but no reason it would help. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2012 1:15 AM PDT

Look at the data rate of ethernet and wifi and you see that USB 2.0 is well above that. So no way USB 3.0 will help when it comes to this.

If you wanted to install an all 1000BT (gigabit) network then you're all wired up and then the USB 2.0 is only slightly slower by the time you count all the handshakes and more.

Wait if you want, but that's not the bottleneck.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you
by Tommccarthy140 / July 25, 2012 3:55 AM PDT

Hi - thanks for your reply - it is really useful, so the USB 3.0 question is scratched off.

Can I just ask your views on whether to get a ac or n router. I want to hook up a printer in addition to the HDD, so an ac router with 2 USB ports is going to cost $200, whereas you can get a solid dual band n router with 2 USB ports for $100. Is the additional cost worth it, given I do not have any compatible ac devices at the moment and my apple TV streams perfect HD movies without ac router (and I am not sure if I will need anything more than that in the future).

Again, thank you for your help.

Collapse -
Must be a typographic error in there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2012 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

I can't find an "ac" router. And N capable routers are now plentiful.

To skip all this headache why some NAS/DLNA thing or maybe a BOXEE?
Bob

Collapse -
Draft standard
by bill012 / July 25, 2012 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

802.11ac is not technically released. Every vendor tries to be first to market and you get some that produce incompatible stuff.

You run the risk of trying to get the latest to not replace your devices but them up having to anyway because there is a tiny difference.

The only way to be somewhat safe is figure out which chipsets the hardware you are going to buy uses and then see if that chipset manufacture is one of the main sponsors of the standard. Some router manufactures will not tell the chipset they use. The larger chipset companies since they are directly in the discussions will tend to know the details better. In the long run only a small handful of manufactures will build the chips for every brand of router

802.11ac sounds nice on paper but will it actually buy the average person anything? Mostly all they are doing is using more bandwidth and running on 5g only (no enough room on 2.4). So yes you in theory get more thoughput. But does that actually make stuff run faster for the average user. Most users are just surfing so they are limited by their ISP. Then you have people doing streaming in their house but there is no media format that even comes close to running out of bandwidth on 802.11n. Have to buy a new TV anyway if they do manage to think something up.

Sure the power user replicating files will get his copies done a little faster but then you ask the question WHY would you be doing this over wireless in the first place. Cables will always be faster...larger servers are starting to come with 40G ports as a option.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.