TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Do I need to rewire the house?

by robynadair / March 27, 2012 6:25 AM PDT

I have read your tutorials on the HDMI cable and notice that there is "recommended" length to prevent drop-off. We have bought a new TV, a Bose bar speaker and are getting ready to hook it all up. When we talked to our DISH TV supplier, they said we needed to replace the in-the-wall wiring to any room where we put their HDMI box for a TV. We currently have RG6 in the walls going to 4 rooms and 4 DISH "regular" boxes. I understand the HDMI cable for watching a DVD from the BlueRay to the new TV/speaker bar, but do I really need to completely re-wire the house to get hi-def TV? Not everything is even broadcast in hi-def yet, so maybe it's not worth this trouble.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I need to rewire the house?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I need to rewire the house?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
"Not everything is even broadcast in hi-def yet"
by ahtoi / March 27, 2012 3:59 PM PDT

That's true but that's not the reason. You need a box for each TV because that is what you will use to change the channels and the box need the RG6 cable connection.

Collapse -
Answer
The wires in the walls
by robynadair / March 28, 2012 12:17 AM PDT

I understand the new connections "in the room" like from a new DISH box to to the TV or BOSE bar.....and yes, we'll change out all 4 boxes since the 3 smaller TVs are much newer - certainly for this monster we're putting in the living room. It's the RG6 in the WALLS - the original wiring of the entire house which brings the signal to each room that this person from DISH (who was not a techie....but answers their phone) said "he thought" all the wiring back through the walls of every room ALSO HAD TO BE updated.....that RG6 was not good enough for HDMI transmission into the house itself. At some point he mentioned a wire called RG40 which I have never heard of. If this is the case, I've got news for them, I am not restringing wire throughout my attic and crawlspace to every room with a TV jack.....I'll switch to Roadrunner or U-Verse. I also have two cat 5 lines to every room. I like DISH because we get the east-coast feed here in California.....everything comes on 3 hours earlier....prime-time starts at 5:00 instead of 8:00.

Collapse -
RG40 you can bury
by Pepe7 / March 28, 2012 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: The wires in the walls

I always thought RG40 was a cable you could bury, specifically. Not sure how that would help in your (inside) home application?

Anyway, I wish I could hear more specifics about the home particulars. It would be helpful to know what's all involved and exactly where it all located, distance wise. I don't see why RG6 wouldn't suffice for the bandwidth and type of signal you are distributing. Now if one particular point/TV wasn't getting a strong enough signal that could be easily amplified. Any HD signal coming in comes in via coax, and could be distributed via coax as well, again, sparing some extremely long distances or places where the in-wall cable was deteriorated, really old, etc.

Collapse -
Answer
The wiring
by robynadair / March 28, 2012 12:14 PM PDT

The fact that you said it could be buried, leads me to believe what I've thought all along - the person on the phone (who was obviously in a DISH office somewhere and really wasn't a technical type) "may" have been referring to the line coming TO THE HOUSE from the telephone pole in our alley. We said "in the walls" 50 thousand times, but people hear what they want to hear, and answer with whatever capability they have on hand. What I need to see is the DISH hi-def box to see if there's a coax connector on the back for the incoming signal. What they bring to house to the splitter in the basement is their business.....but from there, it travels to every room in the house via in-the-wall RG6 coax. I f THAT wiring needs replacement - no way am I paying for that. Pretty soon this TV and Bose Bar plus wiring and upgraded programming etc. etc will just be ridiculous.....I'll watch videos or go to the movies.

We have a centrally located basement where the incoming DISH line goes to a panel splitter they provided. We "rent" 4 DISH boxes for 4 TVs in rooms which individually leave the DISH splitter via coax. Two are downstairs and two are upstairs.....nothing weird about the wiring and the regular signals are fine. I can't believe that everybody out there who wants to upgrade to hi-def TV has to re-wire every room in their house to accommodate this.

Collapse -
Most of them...
by Pepe7 / March 28, 2012 3:23 PM PDT
In reply to: The wiring

...are just reading (parroting, really) from a script, and a very narrow one at that. They rarely have actual real-world technical experience. You are correct- everyone most certainly doesn't have to re-wire their home (thank goodness!).

FWIW, there's *always* a coax connector (input) in back of the DISH boxes. That's how the signal is distributed from where it comes in from the outside. How it leaves a box and is sent to your various AV equipment is the variable element depending on which boxes you rent/purchase. Some older ones lack HDMI, for example, and may only have DVI or Component.

A lot of this stuff is covered in great detail if you peruse satelliteguys.us forums. It's a helpful resource IME.

Collapse -
Answer
Thanks
by robynadair / March 29, 2012 8:54 AM PDT

I will do that....thank you for that information.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.