TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Do I need an amp? (Receiver to Speaker question)

by onoano / December 3, 2007 11:58 PM PST

Hi. I'm trying to put a system together. I have a sony STR-D365 receiver and two cerwin vega E-715 loudspeakers that i'd like to put to use for a dj setup. The receiver specs are AC 120V 60Hz 186W. The speaker specs are 15" 3-way floor stander, 400 watts power handling, 102 dB sensitivity, Self-resetting tweeter, 81 (36Kg) pounds a piece, One red-ringed driver per speaker.

can i plug the receiver straight to the speakers without burning it out? or will I need an amp of some sort? any suggestions on an amp? I've never used an amp for a stereo setup before.

Also, the speaker cable inserts on the speaker have a red and black plug in and a fuse cap. I think it takes the cables with the jagged end tip, can anyone tell me what these are called?

One other note, the receiver I have says Impedance use 8-16ohms. While I believe I may have read that the speakers work with receivers of 8 or under ohms. Does this overlap?

Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I need an amp? (Receiver to Speaker question)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I need an amp? (Receiver to Speaker question)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Sony is your power source.
by NM_Bill / December 4, 2007 12:47 AM PST

Since the receiver & speaker specs both list 8 ohms (the most common figure), you're covered. In addition, because the speakers , @ 102dB, are highly efficient, you should get pleanty of easy volume through them.

I'm not up on all speaker connector types (& there are several). Just make sure you are getting a solid contact as the connector.

Collapse -
thanks!
by onoano / December 4, 2007 1:23 AM PST

I will try them out soon.

Collapse -
yo
by jostenmeat / December 4, 2007 1:01 AM PST

are we talking about practicing or having fun in your bedroom....

or are we talking about shows for the dancing masses?!!?

even if not the latter, if you like it loud, and you are using it in a very large space, with all that heavy repetitive bass found in techno, etc, you might want a "pro-amp" of sorts. They don't sound as nice as audiophile equipment (more distortion), but they are designed for that kind of thing... (LOUD)...

Collapse -
Thanks
by onoano / December 4, 2007 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: yo

Well I used to Dj quite heavily and am just getting back into it. don't think i'll need them for events. just want loud and clear audio. So, loud is good, but i don't need the bass to over take the sound. Should I still get a 'pro-amp' do you have a recommendation? i will mostly be using it for drum and bass and scratching, and don't want to blow these beautiful speakers.

thanks so much!

Collapse -
I dont know enough
by jostenmeat / December 4, 2007 1:42 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I would ask other DJs or some other professional. They will know better than most, I would presume. The first thing I might look at is Behringer. They have 3 models, and all provide bang for buck. We talk about the entry level A500 with some frequency here...

Remember that its easier to damage your speakers with too little power (clipping) than with too much power. In your case, however, I do have to remind you that too much power can still blow speakers!! Silly

Collapse -
(NT) behringer - ditto
by NM_Bill / December 4, 2007 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: I dont know enough
Collapse -
is my current receiver too low?
by onoano / December 4, 2007 1:06 PM PST
In reply to: I dont know enough

will it clip and blow with the 186W 8-16ohms specs?

Collapse -
I believe your receiver stats are for consuming 186 watts.
by NM_Bill / December 4, 2007 1:22 PM PST

The output per channel is 80 watts into 8 ohms.

Considering the high efficiency of the Klipsch, that provides very decent volume in normal size spaces, but for DJ type use a good alternative would a Behringer (widely distributed to guitar/pro sound shops). For $300 their Reference Amp A500 provides output of 160 watts per channel (stereo) into 8 ohms. Ho0w's that for bang for the buck?

Collapse -
Adding to what jostmeat said.
by jcrobso / December 5, 2007 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: yo

I recommend that you get a pro power amp and good DJ mixer.
Home AV receiver are NOT designed for that kind of use.
If you need a source repost. John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.