Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Do I need a receiver to use the PS3's surround sound?

by Aidan2209 / January 17, 2008 11:35 AM PST

Hi. I don't yet own a PS3, but I'm considering buying one, and I want to be able to use the system's surround sound capabilities. I have an LG surround sound system, however, the speakers plug directly into the DVD player (it's a one-box, which is a lower-end home theatre system, but mine is a high-end low-end, if you know what I mean). The DVD player has no HDMI or optical inputs/outputs, only composite ins. If I were using composite cables to connect the PS3, it would be easy - run the audio cables into the DVD player, and run the video cable into the TV, I've done it before. BUT, I have a HDTV, which means I'll be using HDMI to connect the PS3 to the TV. Would it still be possible to run composite audio cables into the DVD player from the PS3, and the HDMI from the PS3 into the TV? Do the composites even output in surround sound? And if they do, would the composite output still work with the HDMI output being used? Help would be much appreciated.

Aidan.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I need a receiver to use the PS3's surround sound?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I need a receiver to use the PS3's surround sound?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not going to work
by Jimmy Greystone / January 17, 2008 2:09 PM PST

It's not going to work, as composite audio cables are really only capable of stereo. So, you could use some sort of upmixing ability of a receiver, but that's about it.

Long story short, you'll need to get yourself a proper receiver with either optical or HDMI inputs.

Collapse -
I guess so, BUT.......
by Aidan2209 / January 17, 2008 4:24 PM PST
In reply to: Not going to work

I'm really confused. My grandmother has a one-box home theatre system, but the laser on her DVD player broke, so she couldn't play DVDs, but the speakers still worked. When she got a new DVD player, I plugged the (composite) monitor out cable into the TV, and I plugged the red and white audio cables into the old DVD player. When watching DVDs through the new DVD player, the sound comes through the 5.1 channel system connected to the old player - in the full 5.1 channels. I don't know if that's supposed to work. I just tried plugging the audio cables from an old (crappy) DVD player into my own DVD player (to which the speakers are connected), but the sound from the crap DVD player came through only one speaker (the front-right). ????????????????????????
Anyone know what's happening? Because I have no clue......

Aidan.

Collapse -
Probably upmixing
by Jimmy Greystone / January 18, 2008 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: I guess so, BUT.......

Your grandmother's system is probably upmixing the stereo signal into something resembling 5.1 audio. However, if you compare discrete 5.1 audio to upmixed stereo, it's easy to distinguish between the two, even for a non-audiophile.

There just isn't enough bandwidth on composite plugs to be able to carry all the data needed for true 5.1 audio. If you tried pumping that much data through them, the quality of the sound would degrade horribly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.