Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

MacBooks

Question

Do I need a new Mac?

by aerobleufour15 / June 21, 2013 7:02 AM PDT

I have a MacBook that I bought in 2006 (I think). I replaced the hard drive Feb. 2012 after getting the "blue screen of death."

In the past few months, it performs much more slowly and frequently seems to hang up after I use a command -- for example, opening an email or pasting an item. Sometimes when I am typing, it can't keep up and I get the circling pinwheel.

I am not working right now, and money is a big concern.

First I'd like to know if the advice would be to get a new Mac. Secondly, I'd be interested in finding how others sold their old ones -- Craigslist, a user group, general newspaper ad? What would be a potential price for this given that it's had one user who has treated it pretty darn well.

Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I need a new Mac?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I need a new Mac?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Couple of points.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 21, 2013 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Do I need a new Mac?

1. What version of OS X are you running on that Macbook?
2. How much RAM is installed in it?
3. Do you run/install all the software updates issued by Apple?
4. When was the last time you shot compressed air through the vents?
5. What are the machine specifications? (processor speed, processor type, etc)

As for the rest of your questions, it would be difficult to come up with an answer as we have no idea what machine it is

P

Collapse -
Answer
Did you clean it up?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2013 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Do I need a new Mac?

I find many of these to be used by owners that never were told about maintenance. When asked about canned air on the vents they sometimes ask what is canned air.

While I may suggest you max out the RAM, I'd like to know about your maintenance.
Bob

Collapse -
Clean up
by aerobleufour15 / June 23, 2013 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you clean it up?

Messrs. Macfixit and Proffitt:

I have never hear of canned air on the vents. Not a problem. I have it and can cover that.

Updates -- yes I check regularly.

MacBook
MacBook 3,1

This is OS-X Version 10.5.8
2.2 Gig Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 1 Gig 667Mhz

I have added no additional RAM.

I recently decided that I should run some sort of clean-up software on it due to the tendency to go so slowly. I tried MacKeeper, but was annoyed by the bait-and-switch crap, so I ditched it. Now I get all their stupid ads popping up. (I know, I know...check cookies.) I also tried to download another clean up software, but got the message that it won't run on my OS. At that point, I ran out of time and haven't returned to this task yet...

I read on a forum recently that MacKeeper is an insidious little beast and not much good, so I was glad I had not spent money on it. That was only one person's opinion, but I was already getting ads, so they were on my list anyway.

I should add that this morning I opened my Mac, which was in sleep mode, and could not get it to wake up. I finally did a hard reboot, but got the blue screen for quite a few seconds before it actually loaded the screen saver and began populating the screen.

Comments on any of this?

Collapse -
So that's after the canned air cleaning?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2013 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Clean up

If this was never done then the heatsink could be clogged up. It's mildly advanced to clean that so hope the canned air helps.
Bob

Collapse -
heatsink
by aerobleufour15 / June 23, 2013 8:47 AM PDT

Well, of course everything was cleaned up when I had the hard drive replaced last year.

Collapse -
Next up gets deeper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2013 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: heatsink

The symptoms to me don't read as if it's software. I don't encounter the software issues on Apples. However given the machine's age it will seem sluggish compared to today's rockets.

Here's my next thought. Have the tech replace the heatsink compound. At this many years old it could be dry and cracked.
Bob

Collapse -
more heatsink
by aerobleufour15 / June 23, 2013 12:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Next up gets deeper.

I'll check that heatsink possibility out. And, while I recognize that older machines will seem slow, given that this is all I've had for a number of years and I have not had access to others, what's happening seems noticeable.

It's kind of like not knowing that Swiss chocolate is better than Hershey's because you've never had anything but Hershey's...

Collapse -
Any suggestions on clean-up software?
by aerobleufour15 / June 23, 2013 8:50 AM PDT

If that's the only thing I have left to try, I'd appreciate a recommendation for a good one.

Collapse -
Ignore the "clean up" software
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 23, 2013 9:54 AM PDT

A Mac left on for 24 hours will do its own clean up routine, it's a UNIX thing, and all the "clean up" software does is run the routines that UNIX has built into it.

Bob's first suggestion of maxing out the RAM is probably the best thing you can do for that machine.

Check out Crucial.com and use their Configurator to find out what the maximum amount of RAM is that you can install in your Mac

P

Collapse -
Whew!
by aerobleufour15 / June 23, 2013 12:37 PM PDT

Thanks for the input about the clean up. I thought I remembered being told Macs didn't need stuff like a defrag program for that very reason.

Aerobleu

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.