Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

do i need a land line for broadband?

by lennyonps3 / March 15, 2008 12:42 PM PDT

if i get dsl do i still need to get a phone line working before i can get dsl? what i am trying to see is the following. i dont want a phone line, but i want vonage. now to get vonage i need broadband. so if i get dsl dont i need to have a working phone line???? but if i need a phone line to get dsl and dsl to get vonage. then there would be no point to get vonage, because then i would already have a phone line and vonage? i dont see how that works. any help would be appriciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: do i need a land line for broadband?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: do i need a land line for broadband?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's called "naked DSL"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 12:45 PM PDT

I can't answer because it varies across the country, so just ask the providers.

Collapse -
by lennyonps3 / March 15, 2008 1:04 PM PDT

so i want vonage, so i need internet. im thinking of going with att high speed internet. so should i ask att and see if i need a landline to get their internet services?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 8:39 PM PDT
In reply to: ..?

Sorry if the answer sounds crass but yes, you do have to ask them.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / March 17, 2008 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: ..?

...googling for vonage, dsl, adsl, sdsl, broadband... to learn more.

You need the Internet to use Vonage. To use it properly you need broadband. Broadband comes in dsl, cable,.... With dsl you have ADSL or SDSL, both land lines. The former includes voice. The later data only. So if you do not want phone services, get SDSL, which is more costly than ADSL. So think about the economics...

Collapse -
We have Verizon Wireless Nation Wide Plan.
by northsantee / March 18, 2008 6:23 AM PDT

We have Verizon Wireless Nation Wide Plan. It just plugs into the USB port on the side of your laptop. We have used it everywhere, out of twon, etc., including using the laptop in the car while using SKYPE as our internet telephone service. We don't use cell phones anymore due to the high costs, nor do we use desktop PC's. We just use laptops, because they are so portable. And we don't have to worry about hotspots. Very, very fast internet connection. The Verizon Plan costs us 60.00 for a two year contract. We have tried all of the other services, from dial-up to you name it. This the only system that has worked the best for us. The Verizon device is called an Air Card. Hope this info helps.

Collapse -
by lennyonps3 / March 18, 2008 1:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
land line??
by Covad_Rep / April 30, 2008 5:35 AM PDT

I guess that depends which company you order your service from. In my company, we offer a dedicated line for broadband services so that a landline is not needed. Not all companies can provide this. I dont know how much that helps...

-Dennis Clay Jr
Covad Communications
866-656-8757 ext 6291

Collapse -
Why don't apply for BT Broadband
by jackie_frank / April 30, 2008 9:14 PM PDT

It's relaible. I did. I did it from here!
Check their prices. i think you should always look quality!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.