PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Do I need a 56K modem?

by bagelred / April 25, 2007 11:51 AM PDT

So I use DSL broadband to access the internet. I use the ethernet cable.

So my question is...when I buy a new desktop computer, do I need to get a 56K modem? In other words, does the system need a modem for any other reason than accessing the internet? Or if I use broadband, is it just a waste of money?

Simple question...Thanks for help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I need a 56K modem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I need a 56K modem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Simple answer
by anmor / April 25, 2007 3:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Do I need a 56K modem?

No you don't need a modem. You do need an ethernet card in the new computer, if it doesn't have an onboard ethernet, (most new boards do) you could either use the one out of the old computer or buy a new one.

Collapse -
Nope, but
by Willy / April 25, 2007 10:30 PM PDT

If you don't use typical "dial-up" internet connection, then no modem is needed. Having one isn't going to cripple a ethernet connection either, 56k modem installed will just sit idle. Your DSL using an ethernet port is blind to any 56k modem installed. I say that, so if you get a new system with a 56k modem installed, just consider it an "unused" device. As for cost of a 56k, its under $30 typical under OEM pricing with new system.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by msgale / April 27, 2007 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope, but

You will need it to FAX, unless you want to pay for a FAX service

Collapse -
Still no modem if...
by Willy / April 28, 2007 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe!

As long as you're on the www, services from efax and similar whether pay for or free do provide fax services, thus no modem. Even if you need the modem for pure fax needs, that means also some s/w and install procedure as well to be fax ready. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Another use for a 56K modem
by cre68cam / April 27, 2007 9:43 AM PDT

As msgale said, you would need a 56K modem to FAX. I don't send or receive faxes very often, but it is handy to have it available when I need it. Also, for the rare occasion that my DSL isn't working, or not available for whatever reason, I have downloaded a copy of the Juno free dial-up software so I can still access the Internet (it's not very speedy, but is better than no access at all! It requires sign-up and occasional use to keep your account active.) You would need a 56K modem for that as well.

Collapse -
Recording conversations
by Argotec / April 27, 2007 11:54 AM PDT

I use the modem card for dialing numbers when I want to record the conversation, Which I do when answering technical questions for later reference, for me it's worth having one just for that!
Good luck.

Collapse -
Good for Caller ID
by DougG / April 27, 2007 12:33 PM PDT

I use it so that the caller ID function of Windows Media Center shows up on my screen.

Collapse -
Another use for 56k - maybe
by MichieS / April 28, 2007 3:55 AM PDT

My ISP (I am still on dialup yet) offers DSL service also. If you change to DSL, they include a 'backup' dialup feature, which cuts in if your DSL is not operatable. That way you can still be hooked up, until the DSL is fixed.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.