Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Do I have a hacker?

by golden1 / March 18, 2008 10:28 AM PDT

Several things have occurred in the last week.

1. There were messages in my spam filter with nothing in the subject line. I deleted

them. I got a few more today.

2. I got 4 messages in my email today entitled: Notification of undelivered

messages. I opened one and it also had nothing in the subject line. I deleted them.

3. A couple days ago, (I am on dial-up) when I tried to disconnect I couldn't. I got a

message that there was another user with programs still running. I am the only user.

I finally did C/A/D to get out. I checked this one out on google. And from what I

read this could have just been a MS program problem. However, with item 1 and 2,

I am wondering if I have a hacker?

I use XP.

Comments will be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do I have a hacker?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do I have a hacker?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Questions. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 18, 2008 10:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Do I have a hacker?

What AV software are you running? Have you run a scan lately?

What Spyware blocker program(s) are you running? Run a scan lately?

Hackers don't mess with dial-up.

Collapse -
Do I have a hacker?
by golden1 / March 18, 2008 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Questions. . .

I use Norton Virus and Firewall and MS Firewall, that's all.

I scan weekly, and update virus daily. If I suspect anything I scan right away.

If hackers don't mess with dial-up I don't plan to upgrade!

Collapse -
Two firewalls?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 21, 2008 8:11 PM PDT

You said, "I use Norton Virus and Firewall and MS Firewall".

It is not a good idea to use two firewalls. They can conflict and prevent connections as they fight each other. The Windows Firewall should have been disconnected by Norton's firewall. Check in your Control Panel > Security Center to see if the Windows Firewall is off. If not, turn it off. Norton's firewall is plenty if you know how to order it around, Happy

Spam email is, unfortunately, inevitable, but there are things you can do.

1] Never open email from senders you do not recognize. Even previewing such emails means they are opened. Emails can send back messages to the sender once opened to tell them that they have found an active email address.

2] Delete such emails immediately. Make sure you have no rogue email addresses in your Address Book/Contact List.

3] Do not preview emails. Goto View > Layout and turn off the Preview Pane.

4] Never give out email addresses in forum posts or elsewhere where anyone else can read them. Forum bots, (robots), trawl forum posts to pick up email addresses for spamming.

You mention you are on dial-up and another member suggested you may have a dialer. These are insidious little programs that get downloaded and installed without you knowledge. They dial-up instead of your normal DUN, (Dial Up Network), to a premium line number, and can cost you a fortune in telephone bills.

To ensure this does not happen do this;

1] In the Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections, select Internet Options and click the Connections tab. Make sure the "Never dial a connection" is selected. This ensures that Internet Explorer does not automatically dial a connection when you open it.

2] Open "My Network Places" and make sure you can see your network connections. under "Dial-up", if you have more than one DUN, ie your own DUN then any others you don't recognize), delete the others by right clicking the entry and selecting Delete.

3] Right click your own DUN and select, "Set as default connection".

4] Right click the same DUN and select "Create shortcut". A warning message will display telling you you cannot create a shortcut here, but do you want it on your Desktop? Click Yes. Whenever you want to connect to the internet you then double click this icon on the Desktop and it will display the number it is about to dial. That way you are in control.

5] Right click the DUN again, and select Properties. In the Properties window under the General tab, make sure the "Show icon in notification area when connected" is selected. This places a small icon near the clock of two monitors, to show data transfer.

You do not seem to have any anti-spyware. I don't know what version of Norton you have, but if it does not have anti-spyware options you need to have a separate anti-spyware utility. I would suggest something like AVG's Ewido, a free anti-spyware utility available from here;

After a trial period some bells and whistles will be disabled, but it still remains a good anti-spyware tool.

I would then update both the Norton anti-virus and Ewido's anti-spyware definitions, then run a full scan with each in turn. If your computer is otherwise running well, I would turn off System Restore before doing the scans to delete any restore, (backup), files, as viruses and spyware can hide in those backup files. Then run the scans, then turn System restore back on and create a Restore Point.
How to turn off System Restore

You need to ensure your Windows is fully up to date. Difficult I agree on a dial-up, but still necessary I'm afraid. Hackers do not like dial-up connections, but there is still the risk of viruses and spyware.

I hope this helps.

Collapse -
Good advice for Golden1, thanks!
by JCitizen / March 22, 2008 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Two firewalls?

On my ******** Spybot Search & Destroy has beat AVGantispyware hands down. It has rootkit capability now with the new version featured here on Plus it has an immunizer that keeps the crud from getting on your computer in the first place. The Tea Timer registry protection may conflict with Norton real time protection so should not be installed with the rest of the utility.

I quit using Norton in the NIS 2006 version; It had antispyware capability supposedly but I couldn't find it/or it didn't work. I and my customers have had nothing but heartache from Symantec and any of there junk products. It will take a lot to get me to trust them at all.

Comodo is definity free, they won't even let you pay for it; and it is ten times the firewall Norton is. Newbies should install it with as low alert level as they can so the "learning" process doen't overload them.. It works way better that Kasperski's firewall and the Defense + has way better explainations than Tea Timer, but I run them concurrently as they get along swimmingly.

Collapse -
Do I have a hacker?
by golden1 / March 22, 2008 2:01 AM PDT

Thanks for the info, I will check those items out.

Collapse -
Firewalls are not active threat-finders
by 3rdalbum / March 22, 2008 1:07 PM PDT

I'm not sure about the specifics of Windows, but firewalls shouldn't "fight eachother". They are just passive programs that "drop" (block) incoming socket connections if they are not on the list of things you want to allow.

Antivirus programs can fight eachother as they are actively seeking out threats (and might erroneously identify eachother as threats!); but firewalls just focus on incoming data from the internet.

Having said that, there's no point to running multiple firewalls. The first firewall will drop all incoming connections. The other firewall(s) will, of course, not recieve any incoming connections as they've all been dropped by the first firewall! So they will do nothing.

Collapse -
It is industry wide accepted, in the IT business, that you .
by JCitizen / March 22, 2008 1:32 PM PDT

cannot have two firewalls or two anti-virus or two registry/process guards(generally). I have had to clear customers of disasters when they have attempted this. All I can glean from my experience is that the conflict that can happen when the executive tries to execute two operations at once in the CPU can delay that thread execution long enough for the malware to gain control of the processes at a higher level of the process stack.

Most conflicts become obvious and noticeable immediately upon install or activation. Some are never noticed untill it is too late. I have a lot of trashed hard drives in a pile as testiment to this.

If your talking about blockers that operate by adding registry hacks that keep malware from installing then yes. That would work very low in the 1st or 2nd layer - but todays threats need more than this for session control and statefull packet inspection.

Collapse -
Nothing to worry about, IMHO
by 3rdalbum / March 18, 2008 4:57 PM PDT

Recieving spam is just the digital equivilant of recieving junk mail. When you get junk mail in the letterbox, it's really just companies trying to market products to you; they are not trying to plant bugs into your house Happy Everyone receives spam unless they have a spam filter in place, and it's safe to ignore.

Sometimes, spammers send messages saying "Notification of undelivered messages" or something similar, to try and get you to open them and read the contents.

In other cases, a spammer will put a random e-mail address from their database in the "From" part of their e-mails. If the destination address doesn't exist, the "from" e-mail address will get an "undelivered mail" message. This is also normal, and only indicates that spammers have your e-mail address. They can send such e-mails from anywhere.

Windows XP is a multi-user operating system. Even if you are the only real human being using the computer, Windows itself runs certain programs as different "users". If one of those programs is accessing the internet connection, that would explain the error message.

Everything that you've described sounds quite harmless, even in combination. Although crackers do exist, they tend to use their time and effort to hit big targets rather than small ones. The thing you would have to watch out for is malware and viruses; but even so, nothing you've said today indicates the presence of these on your computer.

So, nothing to worry about at the moment. However, you did the right thing by asking for advice. Lots of my friends have viruses on their computers but simply don't care. If you see your computer behaving in a way that appears to be abnormal, don't hesitate to send another message to these forums and we'll tackle it for you!

Collapse -
Thanks for the info.
by golden1 / March 19, 2008 1:43 AM PDT

You made me feel better! I am very particular about my computer. I don't even let other people use it. So when something unusual happens, I get paranoid. LOL

Collapse -
RE: Do I have a hacker?
by kevanatkins / March 21, 2008 2:33 PM PDT

You might have a dialer which dials 1800 numbers so they can make money of the expensive fees. That's one hypothesis I have for the modem not disconnecting. If you have a DSL or Cable connection this doesn't happen. Dial up is more vulnerable in that sense. This dialer could have another Trojan as well. Last time I got a Trojan I just used system restore and took it back before the problem. Also consider updating the definition file in Norton.

I hope this helps. Happy computing.

Collapse -
Do I have a hacker?
by golden1 / March 21, 2008 2:47 PM PDT

Thanks for the info!

Collapse -
Download Spybot Search & Destroy from and ....
by JCitizen / March 21, 2008 4:15 PM PDT

Comodo Firewall Pro (both free) but small donations to PepiKM software are encouraged. Do a complete scan in safemode with your system files unhidden and restore turned off.

After you delete the mess Norton left behind. It wouldn't hurt to get CCleaner to clean up the rest of the mess. Then seriously consider getting rid of Norton. Almost all of my customers have become Norton victims since NIS 2004 including me and it has been a real nightmare recovering from all that every since..

The only easy way to get Norton's crap out of the registry is to get Jv6 to finish cleaning out the Symantec tentacles. Sometimes even a thorough manual delete will miss something.

Collapse -
Do I have a hacker?
by golden1 / March 22, 2008 1:45 AM PDT

Thanks for the info.

Collapse -
Don't just go by our suggestions...
by JCitizen / March 22, 2008 4:22 AM PDT

Reading the USER reviews and looking at how many people download a particular utility or another is very wise at is part of CNET of course).

I rely more heavily on user reviews; but I've found that if a utility is very effective and popular you will find somebody who thinks it stinks. Just reading the review will weed out the cry babies; as I am sure you can tell the difference. Especially if you look at the replys to negative reviews; this is a valuable learning experience.

That way you don't have to repeat the misery of others.

Collapse -
Correction Jv16; but read the user reviews..
by JCitizen / March 23, 2008 9:29 AM PDT

that will point to other MaceCraft software. It is industry wide, recognized as one of the best registry cleaners ever. I recommend the dedicated reg cleaner(RegSupreme) as you can buy a cheap license for life($20.00 or something like that). Not to many offers like that now days. Especially for something that is actually useful.

I warn you - the consol looks very drab and simple; that is because they spend all their money making it work - not pretty. It is strictly business at Macecraft!!

Collapse -
A hacker, I dunno, tell me, is there phlegm when you cough?
by Michael Tsark / March 22, 2008 3:04 AM PDT

Hi, golden1, thank you for asking.

I agree with 3rdalbum that it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about because it sounds like you merely had gotten nothing more than typical spam. If perchance a hacker manages to figure out your email password and hacked into your email service provider account, the hacker would typically start forwarding all of your emails to elsewhere's and you would no longer be getting anymore emails showing up in your computer's email Inbox program such as Outlook Express, in which case you'd have to go to your email service provider account to change your password and reconfigure the account settings to re-gain control back of your account again, no biggee.

However, when surfing the Internet, hackers naturally prefer hacking into computers that have Administrative Rights rather than trying to access a computer from a web surfer who doesn't appear to have Administrative Privileges. An option for discouraging hackers from attacking you while you're surfing the Internet is to use a small freeware program called DropMyRights.msi which sort of semi-strips away Administrative Rights on a browser's shortcut but yet for the most part still doesn't interfere with normal Administrative usage. I've been using it for a couple of years now and more-than-99% of the time I have no trouble at all when downloading programs while using DropMyRights and only very, very rarely do I ever have to switch to using a browser shortcut that doesn't use DropMyRights in order to obtain a download.

DropMyRights.msi freeware can be downloaded from either of these two URLs:,64213-order,1-page,1-c,firewalls/description.html

After downloading and saving DropMyRights.msi into your DOWNLOADS folder, RIGHT-CLICK on the downloaded .msi file and select ?Install? and follow the Wizard instructions which will most likely install it into Local Disk (C):\Program Files\DropMyRights.

HOW TO USE DropMyRights.exe (DMR):

Here's the simple 3-steps instructions on how to use DMR. The object is to create a shortcut of DropMyRights.exe (DMR) and then use the target path of the DMR Shortcut to insert it in front of the target path of a Browser Shortcut or of any other program shortcut for that matter, that happens to connect to the Internet.

1) Go to C:/Program Files/DropMyRights/DropMyRights.exe and CREATE A SHORTCUT of DropMyRights.exe and place the DMR Shortcut within the same folder as the DropMyRights.exe program and then right-click on the DMR Shortcut and select ?Properties? to open up the DMR Shortcut Properties Box.

2) Copy the info that's in the Target Path box of the DMR Shortcut INCLUDING the quotation marks which should look like this:
"C:\Program Files\DropMyRights\DropMyRights.exe"

3) Next step is to either create or go to a shortcut of the browser you prefer using, for example, such as FireFox. Right-click on the FireFox Shortcut to select and open up the FireFox Shortcut Properties Box. Find the FireFox Shortcut Target Path box and paste in the target path of the DMR Shortcut just in front of the FireFox Target Path while MAKING SURE TO INCLUDE A SPACE BETWEEN BOTH PATHS and it should now look like this while KEEPING all quotation marks:
"C:\Program Files\DropMyRights\DropMyRights.exe" "C:\Program Files\Firefox\firefox.exe"

The next step is optional if you wish to choose an icon for the new browser shortcut or else the new browser shortcut will now automatically use a generic icon. Use the new browser shortcut to surf the web so hackers will think you don't have Administrative Privileges and they'll naturally go looking for other users who appear to have Administrative Rights.

Other recommended freeware anti-malware programs with real-time protection that I have installed and running include Avast, CyberHawk, and SpyCatcher, however, contrary to popular advice I don't use a firewall because I tried just about all of?em that's freeware and they all got me frustrated because they were all either too complicated and/or not exactly user-friendly by my own standards and/or they kept interfering with my normal computer usage where I would have to often stop whatever I was doing way much too often in order to deal with another firewall issue. I don't even use the Windows built-in firewall anymore because I got sick and tired of the automatic updates slowing down whatever I was doing even though I tossed in an additional 512MB RAM for a current total of 736MB RAM. I could always tell when the Windows firewall auto-updates became active because it hogged way too much CPU energy and made everything else go clunky slow and semi-freeze whatever program I would be using. Around once a month I make use of the freeware programs Advance Windows Care V2 Personal, Spybot-Search&Destroy, Ad-Aware, and Eusing Free Register Cleaner to help clean out the bugs that might have creeped into my machine, but besides all that I auto-run freeware CCleaner upon computer start-up and so-far-so-good.

Again, thank you for asking. Tsark out.

Collapse -
Just making sure you surf as a restricted user ...
by JCitizen / March 22, 2008 3:42 AM PDT

goes a long way. It is almost like browsing in a "sandbox".

I catch trojans and the like but they typically just sit there in my temporary files until my AV ware whacks them!

This is of course for people who use a Windows OS newer that ME.

It is easy to make a restricted account; just go through the Control Panel and create the account through the User Accounts applet. It is so dirt bag easy and intuitive I won't even supply the details.

Then make sure you logon as this restricted user every time you just want to surf and voila! Of course when you need to install stuff and do critical maintenance you will have to go back to the admin account but it is well worth the small inconvenience.

Collapse -
Warning: I no longer advise anyone to use link.
by Michael Tsark / March 25, 2008 4:02 PM PDT

Earlier in my other post within this thread with the subject title "A hacker, I dunno, tell me, is there phlegm when you cough?", I gave a bad, bad, bad, link to for obtaining DropMyRights but now I regret it and I DO NOT advise anyone to go to It's now so obvious that the reason would not allow me to warn our public about 3rd-party spammers is because PC World is one of those big-time 3rd-party spammers themselves who have scam mentality. From now on I'm sticking with CNET Downloads. In the past I've had a few interactions with a few of CNET Admins before and I was thoroughly and absolutely convinced that CNET is 100% Professional and 100% Honest all the way, which is something I rarely seem to find in the cyber world. You can tell a legit company from the rest when their Admins have the professionalism to respond to ALL and ANY of your emails in a very prompt and professional timely manner and they always say the correct professional things that you would expect a professional and honest company to say no matter how trivial the issue may seem to be.

If you're interested in more detailed info regarding pcworld please feel free to view my other post located somewhere further below with the subject title ?Hackers, Spammers, They?re All Scammers".

Collapse -
It looks like someone is deleting a lot of your posts...
by JCitizen / March 26, 2008 9:56 AM PDT

Did you do a no-no!?

Collapse -
No. Staff only removed a couple upon my own request.
by Michael Tsark / April 7, 2008 6:04 PM PDT

Hi, JCitizen,

As far as I can readily recall (?), all my posts appear to be here except for a couple of excess posts that were essentially duplicates and so I had asked CNET Staff to please remove them for me, and now that I'm back, I see that Staff have apparently done so. (Thanks, Staff!) Had it remained posted it would only add useless clutter to this thread. What happened was that I wanted to place my advisement regarding the use of caution about next to, or near to, the post where I had placed a link for regarding DropMyRights but I made a mistake and it ended up elsewhere's, so then I got it correctly placed on my 2nd attempt, but then I added another post apologizing for the duplicate, and now it looks like it was at least those two unnecessary posts that were removed for everyone's convenience.

Meanwhile, here's a brief update regarding my warning about Anyone who's honest knows exactly what I mean when you confront a scammer and tell them in detail how you know they're a scammer and they immediately try to convince you with stupid rhetoric that you got them all wrong and that you're mistaken, or how when you might talk to someone about someone else who's a scammer and the person you're talking to automatically tries to convince you with typical scammers' rhetoric that you're all wrong about thinking that the other scammer is a scammer. You know, same-feathers-flock-together sort of thing. Well, I later posted my warnings about on SpamCop forum and the next thing I knew a few scammers couldn't resist their typical scammers' habit of trying to convince me that I'm all wrong and so I accused them of being "sly scammer spies" who's infiltrated SpamCop forum. Next thing I knew I was getting bombarded with an upsurge in spam within two hours of posting my accusations. I then posted another post of how I had received an upsurge of spam going to both my RoadRunner Account as well as to my SpamCop Account within the two hours of the posted accusation and then next thing I knew I received a notice from one of the suspects who's the forum administrator informing me that I was suspended from posting to the SpamCop forum for 5 days. Later on I sent in a report about the upsurge to Administration and also sent a copy to one of the SpamCop Administrators and I immediately received this inappropriate, flaky, ridiculous, suspicious reply from the SpamCop Administrator:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Michael Tsark writes:
>about reporting suspected spammer spies working within SpamCop forum.<

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying any part of this.
The "suspects" you list are the forum administrator and his moderator assistants.
If you're concerned that your participation in the forums is resulting in additional spam, all I can suggest is that you not participate."

So then I had no choice but to report to Administration that we had uncovered another suspect and so I submitted the guy's flaky email response as being spam and I had also attached a note to the spam-report explaining how I concluded that the Administrator-in-question is another suspected sly-spammer-spy that we can add to the list of suspects. Next thing I knew I received a note from the suspected Administrator that my SpamCop reporting privileges is suspended indefinitely.

I had also posted the warning "BEWARE of PCWORLD.COM..." on SpamGourmet forum and apparently two more scammy suspects showed up and exposed their questionable psychological profiles and it even looks like one of them specializes in hacking because for no apparent reason he's asking me off-the-wall questions of what Operating System am I using, what kind of modem I'm using, and how is my computer connected to the Internet? Only a stupid hacker would ask such stupid questions in reply to my last statement where I wrote the following below regarding the day of the sudden upsurge in spam:

[Update: By the end of the day of March 28th (the day of my posted accusations) the total spam count was 29 spam which jumped the typically weekly rate from around 35-per-week to that of 203-spams-per-week.] Coincidence? Me certainly knows it's not. And anyone who is foolish enough to attempt in trying to convince me otherwise will only prove to me and the rest of the world that they have scam mentality themselves for trying to defend on behalf of the spammers. Oh, yes, I've stuck some nerves alright and somebodies busted.

In reply, the only thing the hacker writes is:

Is your machine running Windows? You seem to be connecting from a PC connected directly to the Internet through a RR cable modem without an intermediate router, is this correct?

Scammers tend to hate me as much as I tend to hate scammers. I've been victimized so many times during my lifetime and now I can't stand those ugly little critters.

Anyhows, it was nice of you to notice that a couple of my excess posts had been deleted from this thread but as I said they were deleted upon my own request.

What else can I say except that I comprehend we are inherently a "predatory" primate species but never-the-less, those ugly critters hate me because I refuse to be victimized and the feeling is almost mutual except I've learned to hate their stinking scammy vermin guts even more so.

Have a nice day, JCitizen, and thanks for asking. Tsark out, for another month.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 22, 2008 3:58 AM PDT

Whilst I see nothing wrong with using this DropMyRights utility, and whilst it is available from, I am not sure it is a utility that I would ever use. I prefer making manual changes to things like Browser settings, etc, so that I know what I have done, and I can keep in control.

Also, I would not advise anyone to use a PC on the internet without a firewall.

Collapse -
Do I have a hacker?
by golden1 / March 22, 2008 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm.

Thanks for the info.

Collapse -
Clarifying Misperceptions Of DropMyRights.
by Michael Tsark / March 22, 2008 3:28 PM PDT

To JCitizen, thank you for sharing your input and it IS appreciated. I agree that it is easy to make a restricted account via the computer's User Accounts applet as another option for surfing the web as a restricted user and I tried that before but I got sick and tired of always having to first log-off and then having to log-on again in order to switch user accounts every time I surf the web every day, and then after I leave the web I'd have to log-off again and then log-back-on again in order to use my computer with Administrative Rights again or else I would too often find myself unable to access a variety of things in my own computer if I did not go through the ritual of logging off-and-on, and then off-and-on again, anywhere from a couple to a few times a day, every time time I wanted to surf the web as a restricted user. As easy as it is to log-off-and-on a few times a day I still find it so much easier to use DropMyRights just once and then forget about it forever thereafter without having to log-off-and-on every time I want to surf the web as a restricted user. With DropMyRights I simply use my computer all the time with full Administrative Privileges except for when I click on my browser shortcut in which case DropMyRights does the automatic equivalent of logging-off-and-on for me without my having to ever bother doing it manually myself around a few times a day or so. But it's still only another ?option? as I was sure to mention in my original reply to golden1's question. I tried using the User Account applet before and found it so inconvenient for me since I'm the only one who uses my computer. Whenever I exited the web and neglected to log-off as a restricted user and neglected to then log back on again with Administrative Rights, it was only a matter of a short time before I'd run into the situation where I was unable to do any variety of operations within my own computer because of the restricted privileges unless I went through the ritual of logging off and then logging back on again with Administrative Rights. And as I've also mentioned, it's very, very rarely when I would run into a situation where I needed Admin Rights in order to secure a download when using DropMyRights, something like one or two times a year or so, whereas in contrast I would encounter the download problem fairly way too often when using the User Account applet, something like a download problem at the rate of at least a couple to a few times a month compared to one or two times a year with DropMyRights. I agree that both options given to golden1 achieves the same goal of surfing the web with restricted rights to avoid attracting hackers but otherwise the convenience of using DropMyRights is like comparing oranges to marbles, so-to-speak. Of course to-each-their-own and it's up to each individual to decide whether they want to surf the web as a restricted user or not, or to choose in having to log-off-and-on again every time they surf the web, and then log-off-and-on again in order to gain back Admin Rights all over again, compared to simply hitting the browser shortcut that uses DropMyRights which eliminates all the inconvenience of logging-off-and-on to switch User Accounts. In other words I just don't follow your rationale for wanted to prefer using the User Account applet over using DropMyRights? You make it sound as if using the User Account applet is just as easy or easier than using DropMyRights and I agree it's dirt bag easy to switch User Account back and forth every day and every time I surf the web, but in my situation it meant logging off and on a few or more times a day and then I'd also find myself running into access problems to my own computer processes at the rate of a few to several times a month unless I went through the ritual of making sure to logging-off and then logging back on with Admin Rights, whereas with DropMyRights it eliminates all the logging off and on again just to surf with restricted rights, and it further eliminates all the having to log back off and then back on again to get back Admin Rights. Let me explain it this way, with DropMyRights the only time I have restricted use is when I use the browser shortcut with DropMyRights and the rest of the time I still have Admin Rights 100% of the time to install stuff and do critical maintenance without any need for logging off-and-on in order to switch User Accounts in order to install stuff or to do any critical maintenance. Sorry, but I just don't get your rationale? I agree it's dirt bag easy to routinely log-off, log-on, log-off, and log-on again at least one or more times a day just to surf the web with restricted rights, but even you yourself admit it's a small inconvenience and I simply fail to see the logic in preferring to go through the small inconvenient ritual every time I want to surf the web with restricted rights when the so-called small daily inconvenient ritual can be completely eliminated via DropMyRights? To me it's the near equivalent of someone who lives alone preferring the routine to dirt-bag-easily unlocking all the doors and then dirt-bag-easily locking all the doors again to every single room each time they want to enter a different room within their own home compared to simply leaving all inside doors unlocked and wide open to begin with, but with the exception of only locking the front and back doors of their residence? One way poses multiple daily routine inconveniences even though it's dirt bag easy to unlocking and locking a door again, so dirt bag easy that I won't even bother to explain how to unlock and then lock a door again, whereas in comparison the other way poses no inconvenience what-so-ever at all? As for DropMyRights, it takes 3 easy simple steps to set it up one time per browser shortcut and after that you forget about it. But I say again, to-each-their-own and more-power-to-you if you prefer the multiple daily inconvenience day-in and day-out, week after week, month after month, compared to having no inconvenience at all except to click on the browser shortcut in order to get on the Internet? It's your computer and so of course you're fully welcome to do whatever you want with your own computer. Have you ever considered turning your computer off and then turning it back on every one-half hour? It's only a small inconvenience and sure-as-dirt-bag-easy to do, in fact it's so easy that it might be worth the small convenience compared to just leaving it on, don't you think? (Please don't get upset because I'm only joking around because I'm into and appreciate sarcastic humor Happy

And to MarkFlax, thank you for your input which is ALSO appreciated, however, I apologize for not making myself more clear about DropMyRights, so please allow me now. DropMyRights DOES NOT change NOR does it re-configure any browser settings in any way. Likewise, switching to Restricted User Account via the Control Panel applet DOES NOT change, DOES NOT alter, NOR does it re-configure any browser settings at all, NOR do you lose any control over your computer, NOR do you lose any control over your browser just because you might happen to use the Control Panel applet to Switch User Account, but rather it simply means a restricted user via Control Panel applet has restricted rights whenever using a browser. To simplify, DropMyRights essentially does the very same thing by stripping away and restricting a minimal amount of user-rights when surfing the web so that hackers who might tune into your surfing will interpret your computer as a Restricted User Account but the difference being that you don't have to go through any routine rituals of logging off and back on again as a restricted user, and then logging off and back on again after surfing via the Control Panel applet every time you might wish to surf the web as a restricted user account and then later go back to using full Admin Rights. I continue to maintain having full control of any and of all of my browser settings whenever using DropMyRights, but furthermore, DropMyRights as a matter of fact gives me additional more control over my own computer usage than the Control Panel applet does. With DropMyRights I gain more overall control rather than losing any control. In other words I so much prefer in having 100% full Administrative Privileges 100% of the time except for when I happen to surf the web without any need for repeatedly logging off and on and without any need for switching any user accounts, period. I setup the browser shortcut just one time and one time only and thereafter I "forget-about-it" and I don't need to do anything more ever again just to enter the Internet as a restricted user except I still have to click on the new browser shortcut just like I normally would when entering the Internet. The built-in Microsoft Windows Control Panel applet doesn't do that for me but instead the Control Panel applet requires the daily multiple routine ritual of always needing to log-off-and-on, and-then-off-and-on again, etcetera, in order for me to obtain the situation where I'd have full 100% Admin Rights 100% of the time except for whenever I surf the Internet. Imagine if the Control Panel applet included a particular feature that also allowed for 100% Admin rights for 100% of the time except for when surfing the web but without any need for logging-off-and-on to switch user accounts, and also without messing with any browser settings? That's exactly what DropMyRights does while a Primary Owner/User still maintains 100% control over DropMyRights, 100% control over their browser settings, and 100% control over their computer as well, just like they would if and when they opt to use the Control Panel applet, except the convenient difference is that DropMyRights completely eliminates the continuous routine of logging off and on just to lose or gain back full Admin Rights every time they enter or leave the Internet. I don't know what made you think you'd lose any control by using DropMyRights when it in fact gives a user more control? I figure I somehow simply failed to explain things better from the beginning, but DropMyRights is the best and easiest user-friendly program I know of towards discouraging hackers from choosing my computer to hack. It's freeware, the downloaded .msi setup file is a mere 164Kb, the .exe file itself is a mere 54Kb, it doesn't take control of my computer away from me, it doesn't touch any browser settings at all, it works flawlessly all of the time and in two years I've never encountered a single problem with DropMyRights.exe, I pre-set a browser shortcut just one time and one time only and forget about it and from then on I simply use the browser shortcut just as I normally would without any extra work involved. When hackers might happen to see me on the Internet they're not going to want to waste their time trying to attack a computer with restricted Admin Rights and instead the hackers are inclined to move on to search to find different Internet users who surf the web with full Admin Rights. And please, sir, I don't want to scare you any but please whatever you do, please don't look behind you because there could be a shadow behind you and I certainly wouldn't want to be the one who's responsible for making you worry about losing control of your mind if there is one, okay?

As for not using a firewall, for the most part I haven't used one for the past 8 years ever since I had gotten my first computer and I personally had not found any significant or appreciable difference in security matters whenever I did test a variety of firewalls, one-at-a-time, of course. I'm content with the multiple real-time protection programs I already have going on and I have a lot less bugs and/or hacking attempts finding their way into my machine now-a-days compared to 8 years ago and therefore until-unless I finally encounter a significant security problem due to the lack of my running a firewall, or unless-until I finally find a new firewall freeware product that's user-friendly to me, I'm likely to still go on for at least another 8 years of not-using a firewall. I know, I know, I know, it goes against all popular advice and everywhere I look people are constantly advising ?you must have a firewall?, ?you gotta have a firewall', ?a firewall is a must or else,...blah, blah, blah?. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I heard it all before, blah, blah, blah, but in my personal opinion the chances of running into a hacker is most likely to occur either through my webmail service provider or whenever I'm surfing the web with full Administrative Rights. My primary email server is RoadRunner while my secondary email server is and I'm cautious about opening or previewing email that smells like spam to me, therefore, I'm not overly worried that I'll get hacked via my emails because I still have the 3-to-4 real-time protection programs against suspicious behavior (4 if I also count Windows Defender). And since I surf the web with DropMyRights I don't worry about a hacker choosing me to hack. Once in a rare while I still do encounter some sort of mean virus or something that attempts to enter my computer while I'm surfing the web but then any one of my real-time protection program automatically shuts-down the browser and closes it before any mean virus can enter and infect my computer. In other words I'll probably wait until the day or year before if and when it might happen to arrive when it turns out that I needed a running firewall afterall, and if worse comes to worse and should that day arrive then it'll simply be a good time for me to use my Full System Restore CD to do a complete reformatting of my entire operating system to make everything like-new again and then I'll opt to running a firewall. Anyone who is worried about not-using a firewall on their own machine then by all means, they should and must always, always, always use a firewall at all times or else it's only a matter of time before the devil will surely come along to possess their computer unless there's always a firewall running always at all times on their own computer. It's one of thee most popular golden rules in the computer world which dictates that everyone should and must always have a running firewall, blah, blah, blah, and in-almost-fact, it's even the LAW!!!. But as for me and my own computer, I honestly don't give a darn, I really don't. I regularly keep at-least-3-or-more-copy-sets of backups of all my important files on disks at all times incase of worse case scenario where a hacker might happen to completely take over my machine and wiped out the entire operating system. But I'm less worried today about getting hacked now-a-days than I was worried about it 8 years ago especially since I now surf the web with DropMyRights. I personally think the odds of getting hacked while surfing the web with full Administrative Privileges and without DropMyRights even while running a firewall skyrockets the chances of getting hacked in comparison to using DropMyRights minus any firewall. It's like I said, for the past 8 years I haven't noticed any significant or appreciable difference concerning security matters due to the lack of my running a firewall. The only thing I've noticed for sure is that I get less malware infecting my computer now-a-days compared to 8 years ago. I have only one rhetorical question to ask: Even if someone always does use a firewall at all times and keeps the firewall running 100% of the time, does that mean their computer is always 100% impervious to being hacked and therefore can never be hacked just because they're running a firewall? Oh my gosh, what if somewhere in the world at least one computer got hacked despite using a running firewall, what can we possibly do about it?! Oh my gosh, it's like already the end of the world when a few real-time protection programs aren't good enough, and if DropMyRights isn't good enough, and if running a firewall at all times still isn't good enough to stop all hacking 100% of the time, oh my gosh, all this time for the past 8 years I could've been killed?!!! What was I thinking?!!! Quick, where's my firewall, I gotta have my firewall, oh my gosh, what would I do without my firewall? How can I go on living without my firewall?!!! I'm so glad most people follow the golden rule regarding a firewall or else our family species could all be extinct by now? I thank goodness and I especially thank Mother Nature that we have firewalls in this world. Oh yes, I feel so much better now and I can stop worrying altogether now that I have my firewall. How in the world did I ever manage to survive the last 8 years without my firewall? Psst, everybody, if you want, I'll sell you my free Comodo firewall for half-a-penny, ...hey, come'ere, don't walk away, it's all good I promise, besides, we all know you gotta have a firewall, right?

Lastly, to golden1 again, no reply is necessary and I repeat that DropMyRights is only a suggested option, nothing more and nothing less, and it doesn't mess with any browser settings at all, no more than using the Control Panel applet as a Restricted User Account does. But unlike a firewall, DropMyRights is not commonly recommended nor encouraged, and using the Control Panel applet will achieve the same purpose of discouraging hackers from attacking your computer in favor of them searching for other computers that surf the web with full Admin Rights. But again, both options are purely optional and of course you still have the freedom of choice to surf the web with or without full Admin Rights if you want to. In other words I simply wanted to clarify mis-perceptions about DropMyRights but of course you're still free to believe whomever and/or whatever you want to believe in. You seemed concerned about hackers and so I tried to share with you the best I know, ...I tried? That's all I could do, was try?

If I've upset any readers with my sense of humor then please free to call me names or call me whatever you want but please whatever you do, just please don't call me late for dinner, okay? Best regards, Tsark out, and I'm outta here.

Collapse -
Postscript Reference: Further Clarification.
by Michael Tsark / March 23, 2008 3:27 AM PDT

I forgot to point out and emphasize that while I'm surfing the web as a restricted user via DropMyRights I also simultaneously retain 100% full Admin Rights on everything else with my computer, that is, I can still be on the Internet as a Restricted User while at the same time still be able to simultaneously install stuff and/or do critical maintenance without any constant routine of first having to logging off and on in order to gain back full Admin Rights again. The only drawback with DropMyRights is that one or two times a year I'm unable to download something unless I use my other browser shortcut which doesn't utilize DropMyRights. I'd say on average I go to the Internet at least 3 and usually more than 3 times a day. When I used the Control Panel applet to surf the web as a Restricted User I'd have to go through logging procedures at least 6 or more times a day (of logging off and then logging on again) in order to maintain full Admin Rights whenever I'm no longer on the Internet, or roughly speaking that's usually more than 42 times a week or roughly somewhere between 100 to 200 times a month of a constant routine of logging off and then logging on again just to surf the web as a restricted user while otherwise trying to maintain full Admin Rights as much as possible. Compared to DropMyRights I don't have to log off at all not even once, nil, nada, zilch, zero, forget-about-it, nonexistent, just to surf the web with Restricted Rights, plus, with DropMyRights I still have simultaneous full Admin Rights over my computer even while at the same time I'm still on the Internet as a Restricted User. In choosing between a constant routine of logging off and on between 100 to 200 times a month compared to zero times, that is, choosing between an inconvenience that can be easily avoided compared to no inconvenience at all, why heck, on second thought I think I'll be smart and choose all the inconvenience only because it's so darn dirt-bag-easy to choose?!!! Damn, how easy is that? And if anyone else is still worried about using DropMyRights then I strongly advise them to immediately re-configure their firewall as well as re-configure all of their security programs as soon as possible without any further delay to making sure they always block DropMyRights from ever entering their computer in the first place thusly thwarting any communist plotting attempts to take control over their browser in order to overthrow their mind, that is, if they have one,...a browser I mean? Hey, whatever makes a User feel safest, that's what counts, right? And by the way, I still have plenty of free copies of my freeware Comodo firewall in stock and they're still going for sale at half-a-penny-each, so don't be a fool and get'em now while they're still in stock and still hot and surely before this offer expires as soon as the world's first computer get hacked despite having a running firewall, ...hey, come'ere, don't walk away, it's all good I promise?

As for all of my incoming email, there's a 5-minute delay while it first gets filtered by RoadRunner before it gets sent on to for further filtering before it finally reaches my Outlook Express Inbox.

As for my firewall, I still shudder at the thought of how close I came to getting killed at anytime during these past 8 years for not using a firewall but now I feel so much better and feel fully safe knowing that I never-ever have to worry about ever getting hacked since it must be 100% impossible to get hacked whenever using a firewall. Just think of it, if at least one computer in this world with a running firewall somehow still gets hacked despite using a running firewall, it would mean we'd all back to square-one again where we would all need to start worrying all over again about getting hacked despite using a firewall? Yup, thank goodness for firewalls so that we never have to worry about ever getting hacked or else goodness-gracious I would have to worry about it all over again and where would it all end? Oh my gosh, what if it never ends? Damn it, now I'm worried about that too?!!! Darn you, Mr. Mark Flax, I wish I had never met you in the first place but oh shucks it's too late to worry about that now too, isn't it?!!! Oh well, in that case, hello, I enjoy sarcastic humor and I'm pleased to meet you. Happy

Collapse -
Thank you Michael Tsark...
by JCitizen / March 23, 2008 9:13 AM PDT

I have customers, who like you, would rather stay on the admin side because their applications don't work under restricted rights. Since they don't enter personal information, or credit cards, ect. through the keyboard or otherwise - this "Drop-my-rights" sounds like the smart ticket to me.

Some people like "Sandboxie" but I would personally prefer VMware for Windows myself, if I wanted to stay on the admin side. I, however, have no applications that DO NOT work on the restricted side; so the only reason I need to go over to the admin side is to schedule scan disk and defrag; and that may be once or twice a month. Since no one has access to my terminal I could leave the logon without a password and simple turn it on and go straight to the destop and/or surf.

To each his own/we all have different requirements. Yours look perfect for you, and many other's situations and I will definitely tell my customers who need your advice to thank Michael for another tweak to make them just that much safer. Thanks a lot!

Collapse -
It's Michael Howard who invented DMR and deserves the thanks
by Michael Tsark / March 23, 2008 8:13 PM PDT

To JCitizen, you're welcome and thanks, ...I think? My warped sense of humor has me all twisted up that I'm still trying to figure out if I just got sassed or not? I was anticipating perhaps a come-back but it sounds like you're all serious? In which case, you're welcome,...I think? The only advice I'm aware of seriously giving is to surf the web as a restricted user without any need for logging off and/or on. As for people who don't enter personal information such as credit card numbers over their keyboards, I don't exactly think DropMyRights helps in that issue other than probably causing hackers to ignore users with restricted rights. In other words, if a hacker is watching me anyways and seeing that I'm making an online purchase with my VISA debit card, I suppose it doesn't make a difference whether I'm using DropMyRights or not? But I agree about to-each-their-own. During my first six years of having a computer I had refused to make any purchases online and had always resorted to using the telephone partly because of my ignorance about the Internet as well as my liking the idea of talking to a live person incase something later on goes awry and so that way I could refer back to the person I had spoken with. Then one day my bank advertised that it was safer for me to receive my monthly billing statements via the Internet than through the postal mail since the postal mail is more susceptible to hands-on interception, and that got me thinking about online purchases? So then I spoke with the Company I had always purchased my bulk ink from and in their opinion it was safer to make an online purchase due to all the built-in encryption protocols than it was to make a purchase with my debit card number over the phone since phone lines can be tapped and especially if it's a cellular phone line which is more susceptible to being intercepted over the airwaves. Since then I gave up my fear of making online purchases over the Internet and now-a-days I'll do it online instead of over the phone. Hey, wanna buy a firewall?

As for Sandbox, I vaguely recall investigating it but got convinced it was too complicated and/or too complex and/or just too troublesome for me to get involved with and decided it wasn't for me. As for VMware, never heard of it until now and I'll have to look more into that. I did investigate and tried Microsoft's freeware Virtual PC 2007 program when it first hit the market and had spent a whole stinking day trying to get it to work because I wanted to add my old Window98SE operating system to my new computer that came with XP Home Edition because I wanted to use an old screensaver that's only specific for Win98 and so at the end of the whole frustrating day I finally went back to the Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 webpage and re-read the requirements only to find out their Virtual PC 2007 program will only work with pretty much all the other zillion Microsoft operating systems EXCEPT for XP Home Edition and that's the point when my virtual imagination virtually picked up my virtual computer and virtually smashed it right on top of Microsoft's virtual head a virtual million-zillion virtual times but then I got virtually arrested for virtual assault and pleaded virtually innocent and got the case virtually dismissed and I've been virtually VirtualPC2007-FREE ever since. I just looked at VMware's homepage and I'm leery about any so-called freeware that requires submitting an email address because my own experience with the Internet has taught me that the selling of email address lists to so-called third-party business partners is quite big business in itself with big monies to be made. In my opinion and experience, the vast majority of the time such email requirements to get so-called freeware will likely end up costing me to see more unwanted spam from unknown websites showing up in my spambox. I travel by bicycle and by bus for the last 15 years and just 3 days ago I received a spam from an automotive website claiming that I was receiving their spam because I supposedly had subscribed to their website. I sent them an email asking them to tell me who the third-party was that sold them my email address and so far they haven't answered me. Most of the time such 3rd-party websites won't answer me, or whenever they rarely do, they always lie and claim they don't keep that kind of information in their records. Over the years I've learned to significantly avoid receiving spam and have in fact reduced the amount of spam I used to get simply by refusing to use any so-called freeware that requires my email address. It's not that I can entirely blame them any because I know there's big money to be made in the selling of email address lists to 3rd-parties for their intended purpose of sending out spam and I've long accepted the reality that we are a ?predatory? primate species afterall. But otherwise I'll have to give more thought about VMware before deciding whether or not it's worth the risk of receiving more spam just to try out their so-called freeware. Something tells me I'll probably give VMware a try sooner or later unless I find out about some other similar freeware that doesn't require my email address?

For me, I learned pretty much the hard way and made just about all the mistakes a novice could make when I had first gotten a computer and I used to have so much malware infections so much of the time until I had eventually learned what to do and what not-to to. But then again it's kind of part of my psychological profile where I sometimes have this tendency to do everything wrong just to see what can go wrong so that I can eventually convert Murphy's Law into Xeena's Law ?What can go right is going right now.?

And I, too, am the only one who has access and uses my own computer and therefore I don't need to log on or off and prefer to simply turn on my computer which goes straight to my desktop.

As for DropMyRights, I'm honestly not the right person to thank, it's Michael Howard who invented it and whom deserves all and any thanks.
He either used to work or still works with Microsoft Security and DropMyRights was his idea while I'm just a mere humble messenger still hoping to maybe get handed a tip? And I don't mean ?railroad stocks are up this year?, that's not the kind of tip I mean, so where's my moola huh?

When I peer into the mindset of a hacker searching for victims online I can easily see them focusing on Users with Admin Privileges because a hacker's intent is to take over and manipulate someone else's computer and it only makes sense from a hacker's point-of-view to go looking only for Users with Admin Rights (with or without firewall) instead of trying to hack into Users with Restricted Privileges (with or without firewall). Since I didn't use a firewall, I used to use the Control Panel applet and had it set to ?Easy Switch? mode to make it all that much more easier to log off and on but after awhile it still proved to be so darn troublesome in having to switch back and forth so much of the time and I would constantly run into situations where I could not perform a simple function such as renaming a file or something simple like that because I had forgotten once again to switch back to Admin Rights again. Soon afterwards I went back to surfing the web with Admin Rights again and took my chances because it was way so much easier overall for me to use my computer smoothly without all the switching back and forth all of the time. Then one day I found DropMyRights and I think I probably found it in one of my Email Daily Download Subscriptions from either CNET or PCWorld? I initially had trouble using DropMyRights because the instructions was confusing for me but I had finally figured it out by trial and error and that's why I posted my own 3-step instructions for any novice computer users who might be interested in using DropMyRights.

As for firewalls, I'm certainly NOT against firewalls but every now and then when I would give them a try it was still the same thing where I would receive seemingly continuous and endless warnings that were all pretty much benign applications to begin with. And I know the firewall programs are supposed to improve and ?learn? during continuous usage but for some reason they never seem to want to learn from me, oh yeah, they're reluctant little buggers and they don't listen to me at all? It didn't seem to matter how many times I would repeatedly grant access to a variety of incoming benign signals, the firewall programs would still keep alerting me way too many times over and over again about so many of the same incoming benign signals and it would happen so often that it made my overall computer experience no-fun at all and I got sick and tired of constantly needing to stop what I was doing to go look-see what the heck the firewall was complaining about this time? I am quite aware that I can reduce my odds of getting hacked if I were to use a firewall but as long as I haven't gotten seriously hacked yet I'm willing to take my chances with the real-time protection programs I already have running. Perhaps once a month they alert me of a viral attempt to infect my computer but they automatically take care of it for me and so for now I'm still satisfied enough without worrying about needing a firewall. I don't exactly advise anyone to NOT use a firewall either, I'm just saying I don't use one for myself because each and every time I gave them a try the alerts would turn out to be false alarms 100% of the time and I'd be getting one, two, three or more alerts every day. (Be alert, we need more lerts.) The only time I know of for sure when I was getting hacked during real-time by a live person was a few years ago when I made the foolish mistake of trusting located in the United Kingdom. From day-one through day-five they did absolutely everything including over a dozen-and-a-half or so red-flag-warning-signs to completely convince me they were in the business of stealing people's un-copyrighted un-protected work for themselves and so I ended up turning them in to every conceivable authoritative agency I could think of before they eventually and finally acknowledged my email messages and gave me back my refund. As much as I could figure out besides stealing peoples' work for themselves they were also hacking into people's computer via their business logo which carried some kind of bug in it. I was having all kinds of different troubles in uploading my work to them which I wanted them to protect and I'd receive messages that they got all the uploads and that they were protecting it but yet I was always unable to retrieve back any of the most important pieces of work, and for the first 3 days or so I kept sending them somewhere around a few dozen emails with my works in the emails which they were supposedly uploading but most of the time something would somehow go wrong with the uploads and the errors mostly never repeated itself twice which hinted to me it was deliberate human interaction that was causing the problem rather than any computer glitch. As I recall, something like the last 50 or so email uploads had failed even though I'd receive false reports from them that the uploads had succeeded, but when I'd go to check out my online account my account page kept saying nearly all of the uploads never occurred at all. Nor could I gain access to around half of the uploads that was listed as successfully uploaded and especially all of the most important works were always un-retrievable. Nor would they answer any of my multiple polite emails to contact them about all the problems I had been having since day-1, day-2, day-3, day-4, and day-5, nor would they acknowledge any of my multiple emails asking for my refund. Everything about their psychological profile indicated I was dealing with scammers but the clincher came when a dozen or so email uploads had just failed and this time I wasn't even getting any of the usual email acknowledgements in return saying that the uploads had succeeded, and then I was writing a new email message to a recent computer acquaintance and I had no intentions what-so-ever of uploading that email to, and I had no intentions of even letting ProtectMyWork know that this acquaintance even existed, and while I was asking the acquaintance about his own copyrighting protection about his own written works it was only two minutes after I had just started writing the new message to the acquaintance was when I was suddenly interrupted with an email from asking me if I wanted to also upload the email message that I had just started two minutes ago and which I was still working on and they even identified the subject title of the email that I had just started a mere two minutes ago? What da fooey??? I had already written one or two other brief emails earlier to other people but I never received any abrupt sudden emails from ProtectMyWork asking whether or not if I wanted to upload those emails to I decided to ignore the email I had just abruptly received from and continued on with writing the email to the acquaintance and then around another 5 minutes later while I was still in the middle of writing the email to the acquaintance was when I was interrupted again by with another incoming email asking me again if I wanted to upload the email that I was still working on? What da fooey-fooey? That's when I stopped everything else and installed freeware Bugnosis and went back to's website and discovered every webpage throughout's entire website contained multiple suspicious red bugs, the highest color given for bad bugs hidden on their webpages and invisible to the naked eye. So then I swept all of the ProtectMyWork logos out of my computer and scanned for any further bugs on any documents pertaining to Protect My Work Incorporated and reported to authorities. It was nice to hear among Internet news approximately 30 days later that United Kingdom had just started a major effort in clamping down on scammer Internet companies like Protect My Work Incorporated.

I'm not sure if I have any applications in particular that doesn't work on the Restricted side? All I know for sure is that things go so much more smoothly and is so much more enjoyable when I keep things running with Admin Rights all of the time. But I'm far from expert level and only rate myself as one-step-above-novice. I still don't know how to do anything the requires making so-called ?command lines? and every time I tried to teach myself I only end up getting nowhere other than getting frustrated over getting nowhere. When I had first turned on my first computer I still had absolutely no idea what a screensaver was and if it wasn't for that little box in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen that says ?Start? then for all I know 8 years later I could still be sitting here staring at this monitor thinking to myself ?now what??. When I had first decided on buying my first computer I went to a computer store and asked a computer sales guy to tell me everything he knew about computers and he was nice enough spend 3 full straight hours telling me all about computers and by the end of the 3 straight hours I didn't have the heart to tell the poor guy that I did not understand a single damn word he said and I still walked out of the store not knowing a darn thing about computers. But eventually I returned to the store and bought a computer from him since he was nice enough to have spent so much time telling me about computers and especially because he didn't complain at all when I had first walked out without buying one. Then I hooked up to RoadRunner and asked the technician who came to hook it up if he'd mind giving me his opinion if I had bought a good computer with Windows98SE or if I'd be better off with the newer Windows 2000? I did mention to him that I wanted a computer that works compared to a computer that doesn't work? He said it's always better to wait until at least 2 years after a new operating system hits the market so that most of the bugs are already worked out. In due time I found out his words held to be so true. I'm still amazed at how many expert users seem eager to grab a new operating system and yet still complain about all the incompatible bugs in it when they knew full well it's going to be that way? If I'm going to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a machine I surely want a machine that's going to work instead of buying one that I know is doomed to often fail but like you say to-each-their-own, however, I say, they gotta be blasting nuts?!

Before I close I just want to say again you're welcome but I still have to repeat that I'm not the one who deserves any real thanks because talk is cheap and free and even without my input it's probably only a matter of time when your customers might've heard about DropMyRights from somewhere else to make their computer experiences all that much more pleasurable and safer. Honest-kine, I don't deserve any real thanks but Michael Howard does and I feel bad about accepting any thanks, but however, I am willing to accept cash so where's my tip huh, ...hey come'ere don't walk away?

Collapse -
CLOP, Clop, clop, clo...( the sound of me walking away) =)
by JCitizen / March 24, 2008 2:44 PM PDT

Collapse -
by funkid7 / March 25, 2008 4:57 AM PDT

Can I walk away with you Citizen? This Michael T. thinks we will actually read that much scrambled writing? It isn't even paragraphed, for cripes sake.

And, i thought I wrote too much swill?! Heheee. I have some hefty competition it seems.

Collapse -
by JCitizen / March 25, 2008 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: HOLY CRUD!

nt Wink

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.