TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Do good quality TVs make good computer monitors?

by Larry Pigeon / September 10, 2006 11:09 AM PDT

I have a room that I am considering makeing a second tv viewing area with 5.1 surround. It is a home office that has a built in with the computer, printer and such. The built in would be the ideal place to put a flat panel for tv viewing. It is also be the best spot for the computer monitor. So my question is could a good quality flat panel in the 32 to 42 inch range make a good computer monitor if it has the right inputs?
Tom

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do good quality TVs make good computer monitors?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do good quality TVs make good computer monitors?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
if you're a gamer, NO...if you're not, then YES
by masterying01 / September 10, 2006 12:50 PM PDT

keep in mind that every tv is different and what you consider good might be bad or what you consider bad might be good.

my suggestion? if you have a laptop, bring it with you when you're shopping for tv's and ask politely to connect your laptop into it to see if you like the looks. if the salesmen laughs at you and says no, go to another store. if the salesmen is polite and offers help, stick around and see if you can find a tv you'll like.

most lcd's out now have pc inputs....if you have a price range, i'll TRY to recommend something for ya.

Collapse -
If your a Gamer No???
by omalleycm / September 10, 2006 3:10 PM PDT

I don't agree with your post. Your title had no relivence to your post. If a LCD is NOT good for gaming then please I would like to hear your two cents if you actually have any experience with this.

Otherwise, most LCD's today are coming out with the same response time as a computer montior (lcd). So ghosting is not a issue or if so then the same as any other monitor you would buy. Unless you opt out for 6ms delay. The colours as well are just as good if not better on a LCD HDTV as on a Computer LCD monitor.

If you play games on a Flat-Panel LCD computer monitor then switching to a 40inch LCD HDTV (1080p 1920x1080) you will have a shaper picture then your monitor right now. Unless your using a high end panel (ie. Dell's 30 inch gamer). The reason why... it's the exact same technology in a computer monitor (lcd) as in a HDTV (lcd). Now, keep in mind get what you pay for so if you wait until the 2007 model and get the high end model. You can assure yourself it will run and look great.

The only thing to consider is connection (ie. HDMI-DVI, D-Sub 15-pin (VGA), DVI-DVI, or DVI to component). As well you will have to consider seating distance and viewing size of your Operating System. Windows Media Center has a 10ft. viewing interface where WinXP does not, so you would have to play around with font size and icon size, etc.

Ignore the previous post, the only thing he had to say that made any sense was to bring your laptop their and get a feel for what it will look like. Or see if they have a Media Center PC hooked up to an HDTV LCD. Samsung has a very nice just starting to get on the consumer market (the LN-S4095 and LN-S4096D).

Good luck,
Jamie

Collapse -
Even your laptop may not look as good as your desktop will
by breslin / September 11, 2006 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: If your a Gamer No???

I agree, you should be able to find a TV that will do a very good job when connected to your HT PC. If you take your laptop to the store to check out the TV, remember that the resolution from your laptop may be less than the resolution from your HT PC, so you may get a better picture at home than you get with the laptop. You should also be sure the TV will display at the resolution you want to use.

Collapse -
not going to start another arguement, but
by masterying01 / September 11, 2006 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: If your a Gamer No???

since you asked for my response here it is.

STOP LOOKING AT JUST THE NUMBERS. so what if a tv has a 2.5 ms? have you physically seen it? on sunday, we had a 50a2000 sxrd from sony(advertised 2.5ms), a 55" Hitachi plasma(not advertised ms), and a 46xbr2. which image had the least amount of lag? according to your numbers, the 50a2000 will have the least amount of lag. and since lcd's are the same technology according to you, it shouldnt matter and it should be just fine.

well guess what, the 46xbr2 lcd had the MOST ghosting, with the 50a2000 a little behind. you know what looked the best? and the smoothest? and have absolutely no image lag? the tv with the LOWEST RESOLUTION, the LOWEST CONTRAST, a midrange 55" hitachi.

my title has RELEVANCE to my post above. if you're playing games, you WILL see a difference. if you're hooking up your computer to it just to surf the web or do presentations on, you'll be fine. a $1000 LCD HDTV will not look anywhere near as good as a $1000 Computer LCD.

Collapse -
LCD, Plasma, etc.
by Larry Pigeon / September 11, 2006 1:38 AM PDT

First, thanks for your responses. I have looked at past threads on this forum without a clear cut answer on this subject.I will do more research but what I find out from this thread could narrow my research or keep me from pursuing a dead end. Fom what you are saying I take it that I should be looking at LCDs and not Plasmas. Does that have to do with the burn in issue are is there another reason?
Here is some more info.
1. I would not be surpised if a some point an xbox gets used on this tv by family.
2. I am open to brand choices and have quickly looked at Sony lcd, Panasonic plasma, Samsung and etc.
3. I am running windows xp on my pc.
4. I will hook-up an a/v receiver, sat receiver, dvd player and possibly xbox to the tv. I just want to be able to use the tv additionally to do the things I now do on the computer monitor which includes some cad work.
5. I don't see a big issue between computer users and tv watchers since there are other options in the home.
6. A second option is to move the present monitor to one side and concentrate on buying the best tv for tv viewing and using the present monitor with the computer. Not a big deal but being able to do cad on a 42" screen would negate a lot of the need to be constanly zooming in on an area.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.