Since you asked...
I just installed one in my house/home office. I am happy with the results. You should know my house has steel siding (You know, RF repellent! LOL!)
Here is the unit I purchased and installed. MSRP is $699.
Most places on the web want $599. I found one place, where I purchased it, that only wanted $395. And only $15 for 2nd day shipping.
Before Installation: (none to bad service)
- Always "searching for service" in my garden level room office (half underground). Basically, no service at all. I was using an external antenna stuck in the bushes outside of my window, tethered to my phone via a wire, to enable my cell phone service (no amplifier). It worked. Barely.
- My outside signal level was 1 or 2 bars on good days. Fading in and out from zero to 1 or 2 a lot. I often lost calls even when outside.
- My service inside the house in the main level and upstairs was zero to 1 bar. I usually lost calls if over about 1 minute long.
After installation: (good dependable service)
- Same outside conditions (grin!)
- 3 to 4 bars (my max is 4 bars) in my garden level office.
- 3 sometimes 4 bars in my family room (same level)
- 3 bars in my kitchen (half flight of stairs up)
- Basically, I get 3 or 4 bars if I am within about 20 feet of the inside antenna which is mounted just outside my garden level office, in a doorway.
- 2 to 3 bars in the upstairs bedrooms (I guess it shoots through walls -grin-!)
Rooftop mounted external antenna
50 feet of low loss cable
Garden level mounted inside antenna.
Hope this helps.
has anyone here had any experience with cell phone signal boosters? In our conrete building we are using an external antenna and a interior repeater to get a signal. While near the repeater, it works great, but about 15 feet down in my office, I have practically no bars. The signal booster that attach to the battery look a bit like snake oil to me. Can't imagine that all the claims actually hold true. Checking some feedback on an auction site however, I did find some people that said it worked. Well, I'm interested in hearing more about it from you all! Are my doubts substantiated or do they actually work?