Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Do CDs and DVDs cause damage to players?

by Learner7 / May 5, 2010 6:46 PM PDT

Is it true that copied CDs or DVDs damage the playing machinery?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do CDs and DVDs cause damage to players?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do CDs and DVDs cause damage to players?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do CDs and DVDs cause damage to players?
by maceman69-234090513641357 / May 5, 2010 7:34 PM PDT

Hi Learner7,

I have used self burned CD's years and I have still over 10 years old CD player and cd drive in my computer. No damage.

Maceman

Collapse -
Where did you hear this?
by Dan Filice / May 6, 2010 2:34 AM PDT

Do you subscribe to Conspiracy Theory magazine? I've never heard this, and as the other poster stated, I have been playing self-burned CDs and DVDs for many years on the same players with no observable adverse effects.

Collapse -
A friend!
by Learner7 / May 6, 2010 3:42 AM PDT

I gave some copied discs to a friend, who says that they made both her players go wrong, and also that experienced technical friends told her that copied discs make the machines go wrong !! Like you, I have never had this experience myself, but thought I should check it out!

Collapse -
There is some truth here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2010 4:06 AM PDT

No much but a fine example would be to hand out CDRW media for use in CAR CD PLAYERS. While that does not damage the player many players would push up the laser power to read the media and this could speed up the aging of said player.

And long ago during the DVD PLUS AND MINUS FORMAT WAR if you forgot what recorder you had and popped in the wrong media, the drive would fry.

Thankfully the media plus/minus war ended and makers corrected those flaws.
Bob

Collapse -
I agree, but...
by Dan Filice / May 6, 2010 6:34 AM PDT

Bob,
Those seem to be specific issues related to players not being compatible with certain media. I can't remember ever reading or hearing about CD-R or DVD-R self-recorded media damaging a player based specifically on the fact that it was self-recorded media. I have a CD player from 1985 that still works and plays CD-R discs perfectly. I just haven't come across data that agrees with the OP's original question, so I could be wrong.
Dan

Collapse -
That's history is now over 10 years ago.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2010 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree, but...

It was a bad start for DVD recorders so thank everyone for correcting that flaw.
Bob

Collapse -
check your dates again
by Razzl / May 9, 2010 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: I agree, but...

I find it hard to believe a cd player from 1985 could play a cd-r disc: it takes more than just a laser, it takes the software codecs required to interpret the data, which wouldn't have been around in 1985 (when the only file type the player would have been programmed for would be the proprietary Sony/Philips cd format). I have a dvd/cd player from 1999 which can't play anything other than commercial discs, which would be typical until a year or two after writeable discs first came out. If you have the correct date for the player, can anyone explain how it could work?

Collapse -
Hint. AudioCD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2010 11:25 PM PDT
In reply to: check your dates again

We can make AudioCDs which do not require codecs. I know that AudioCDs are falling out of favor today but they were a staple back then and I still make them for use in my car's AudioCD player.

The thing I learned to do was to use good media (no BLACK MEDIA) and CDR only. No CDRW!

More than you want to know is at http://www.cdrfaq.org/
Bob

Collapse -
Very good advice
by Pepe7 / May 10, 2010 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Hint. AudioCD.

I would definitely heed Bob's advice regarding burning CDs to make them more compatible with additional devices. There's really no reason to use CDRW media anymore either since free burning software such as Nero can utilize CD-R to function like a CDRW disc. {wrote while Looking over at the unused cake boxes of CDRW blanks....}

Collapse -
Burning Cd's for older stereo's
by tjr954 / July 24, 2014 6:45 AM PDT

I had to buy an external cd/dvd player for my acer with windows media player and vista version.. My wife brought home cd's from her office that cd-r 80 minites/700mb. 52x compatabible made by compu cessory. They are siver in color. I have a 1996 explorer and an older stereo that held 6 cd's , am/fm and cassettes. Suddenly after playing the burned discs in the stero a few times it won't function. In my truck after a few times and I prefix this by saying I have cartridiges that hold 6 cd's in the center console so they weren't scratched. One by one each would skip and thinking what happened to my home unit I stopped playing them. When loaded my commercial cd's I've notice so far 2 have developed skipping. My intent was to totally restore my Ford explorer some day as I am diabled and have to do things little by little as I save. I know nothing about mp3 players. Mechanically it's been done as far as replacing older componets like radiator, ac, etc.. I'm not tech savvy at all but I managed to learn how to take my coomercial cd's and load them into the media player reproducing them to pick songs from and store them there, as well as downloading songs from amazon, where I bought the external drive only because the cd player wouldn't open on the PC. I've seen aguements from both sides. As far as my home unit it's not expensive so for 70 dollars I can replace it. The player in my SUV is a different story. Can the laser be replaced as I know they most likely don't sell a replacement player to buy other then a junk yard perhaps but then what. Please any advice would be helpful.

Collapse -
Look up 2 posts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2014 7:07 AM PDT

The CDRFAQ is still there and you want to burn at 2x speed to get the best chance of it working.

As to the repair of the player, there's a repair FAQ on that so I defer to that hard won knowledge. Here it is.
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm

Bob

Collapse -
Burning cd's for older players
by tjr954 / July 25, 2014 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Look up 2 posts.

Thankyou so much !

Collapse -
Older players might not always read burned discs
by Pepe7 / July 24, 2014 7:40 AM PDT

That part is true. But that's another thing entirely than the OP of this thread (mind you, back in 2010!) is insinuating. Keep in mind a CD player in a vehicle that old, subject to cold and heat, could have been ready to die anyway. Coincidence is the likely scenario here. (IOW, receiving error messages like 'bad disc, disc not found, etc.' doesn't mean you will necessarily kill a player/laser,etc.)

That said, it's pretty straightforward to replace a stock car radio, and on the cheap if you just want to replace the head unit. The practically give away parts on ebay from 1996 trucks, as do wrecking yards, btw. And it's definitely cheaper to replace the whole thing as most are not meant to have lasers replaced. Luckily there are about a million websites dealing in car radio replacements, often step by step. Example site-

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=c3f7312de0edc7a3bb25740977a52877&f=9

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">http://www.justanswer.com/ford/0jdc9-remove-factory-radio-1996-ford-explorer.html

one more
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

Collapse -
Burning cd's for older players
by tjr954 / July 25, 2014 5:21 AM PDT

Thank you very much for your information. it's greatly appreciated.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.