Android forum

Resolved Question

Do apps need confirmation before being published on market?

by b2013 / January 24, 2014 9:48 PM PST

Hi everybody

I've heard that to post an app on the Android market, you don't need to have it confirmed (tested) by Android. It'll directly on to the market and anyone can download it.

Is this true?

b2013 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Do apps need confirmation before being published on market?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Do apps need confirmation before being published on market?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by b2013

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2014 12:03 AM PST

Sorry but we've had a lot of back and forth and it appears that you are fishing for something other than what I offered.

Try again, and asking me the same question more than twice has me wonder if I didn't understand your question. If you want a definitive answer if Google tests for performance, you'll have to ask them but it's pretty clear in my experience it's not a factor. That is, I've seen apps that can't perform on some slow tablets yet you can get them from the Play store. That's my proof.

However why would this be a concern here? Maybe if you elaborated I could answer that.

I'll write that Android is a far more open system and less of a Nanny than other systems. I'm wondering if some of today's consumers need a Nanny state/company.

Collapse -
performance test
by b2013 / January 27, 2014 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: Opinion.

It is absolutely embarrassing that you call it phishing. This professional forum is a place to ask questions, if any comes up, and that's what I'm doing - now I'm offended for that.

I precisely asked my question and only in your second last post I got an ambiguous answer, for which I wanted clarification.

I appreciate your suggestion of asking Google directly, and I think that'll help me get a better overview on the matter. As a consumer, I prefer to have apps that I'm sure have passed performance tests, rather than just security tests.

Thank you for your time and the help.

Collapse -
Sorry if I did that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2014 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: performance test

I can't see where I did that but apologize anyway. I work with others writing apps and nothing in my encounters tell me there is a performance test. UNLESS we talk about performance as in blocking Google's location collections. Example? Skyhook. Link follows. Google is pretty zealous about this performance area but I would be guessing if you meant that sort of performance. The case is still ongoing years later.

Collapse -
by b2013 / January 29, 2014 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry if I did that.

Sure no problem Grin
Thanks a lot for the help

Collapse -
I would be duplicating
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2014 12:34 AM PST

I would be duplicating the rules of the Google Play store so I'll just write that you can publish your APK anywhere you wish. If you put it on some store you get to follow their rules. As such rules change from time to time I can't keep up with them except for our office's app.

So you can go on the stores or you can just put it up on your web site.

Collapse -
Google Play
by b2013 / January 25, 2014 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: I would be duplicating

Thanks a lot.

So, as far as I understand, to post an app on Google Play, I won't need to get it confirmed and tested by Google - it'll go right after I post it.

Am I right?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2014 7:40 AM PST
In reply to: Google Play

There are some automatic testing that is performed and if you pass those, it does show up. If there wasn't that automatic tests then Android would be overrun with the usual virus/trojans and such.

Collapse -
by b2013 / January 25, 2014 8:57 AM PST
In reply to: No.

How about testing the app's performance?

To be honest, I'm to buy a new mobile phone, and I'm stuck between Android models, and iPhone. I want to know how comprehensive Android's test is, as compared to Apple? I know that there are actual human beings testing your app to verify its safety, performance, etc.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2014 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: Performance

I'm not a Google or Apple employee. But the market is far more open on Android. I rarely hear anyone get turned down (unless they were doing viral/malware things.)

Collapse -
by b2013 / January 25, 2014 6:24 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry

So, does Google test performance?

Collapse -
I've yet to hear or read they do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2014 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: Performance

For example, let's say you write a CPU intensive app for bit coin mining. It would run for years at some user setting CPU load level (best case scenario.) It would be nothing I see any sign that the automated tester would test for.

Let's take a game. Game performance would be done by the developer.

And now I'd like to share that once in a while I encounter folk that want to develop for platforms WITHOUT having the real hardware. If I guess you are trying to do that, how good a guess would that be?

Collapse -
Performance tests
by b2013 / January 26, 2014 1:08 AM PST

Well, I'm not a developer. I want to buy a mobile phone, and I've to choose between Android and iPhone.

I've heard from a few people that Apple requires your app to pass their performance tests, whereas Android (Google) doesn't. In this way, they said, iPhone has a superiority: as a user you'll be sure the apps have been tested by Apple before being published on the app store; but as an Android user, you aren't given such an assurance (even with high-CPU systems).

The problem is I don't know if this is true. Confused

Collapse -
I'd reply to your top entry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2014 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: Performance tests

Sorry but it appears you have something more specific to ask. Your top post lead me to think you wanted to publish an app. At the office we work on Android apps so up to this post I was under the impression you wanted to know about how to get your app into the stores.

OK that was a bad assumption on my part.

-> About what you asked. There are slow and faster Android phones and with apple we have about a handful of phones to deal with so it's pretty clear that apple developers have much less to worry about as to CPU, memory space, screen sizes and more.

Some call this fragmentation and it appears this bothers you.

Get the iPhone.

Collapse -
Performance test
by b2013 / January 26, 2014 5:14 AM PST

Ok I really apologize for the ambiguity.

I understand that having to worry about different systems can cause problems, but what I would specifically want to know about is the approval procedure by Apple and Google.

I would like to know whether Google also tests performance before approve an app, or they just make sure it's not viral.

Collapse -
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2014 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: Performance test

As there are sub 400MHz CPUs running Android and can get to the play store, the answer must be no.

Collapse -
by b2013 / January 26, 2014 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: I'm going with no.

No you mean no performance test, right? Grin (sorry i just wanna make sure i get it right)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.